Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

I've been reading the books, and they aren't helping. At all. "Give a child attention." Um... That merely encourages her. "Give the child space." And wonder how long until I need to go in and fix whatever she has taken apart.

Dangerously smart kids should come with at least rudimentary instructions.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
Sorry, Abby... but-

I so do NOT want kids if they turn into monsters as soon as they figure out the walking and talking stuff. And the washing... Dear god, why must she wear three changes of clothes a day, plus a fresh set of pajamas? Isn't there a rule against that kind of stuff somewhere? I'm just about done with one thing when something else needs taken care of - how am I meant to do anything when I'm spending half an hour wondering how to get crayon marks out of the chairs?

I need alcohol. Pronto. Someone hook me up to an IV.

So... I suppose now is a bad time to tell you I'm pregnant, eh?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Don't. Even. Joke.

I'm going to have a coronary at this point anyway. Sudden shocks will merely hasten proceedings.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Positively reinforce good behavior, ignore bad behavior. How old is the little monster? My specialty is the 4 - 11 age range, mind you. And I've never found anything in a book that would prepare a person for actually dealing with a child.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You're doing fine. You just have a chronic WORRYING condition. Just relax and try not to stress out over things. So what if there are a few toys on the floor? She's 5, not 2 weeks old. You're not going to damage her. Keep an eye on her, don't let her stick a fork in the electrical outlet and make sure she's fed and properly clothed. You can do this. <3

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Ignoring the bad behavior is... problematic - she sees that as a challenge, and gets more creative in the hopes of getting my attention. Hence the drawing on chairs.

I'm gonna grab a quick nap while I can - hopefully I wake before she decides to get up again...

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sleep well :heart: xoxo

I'm just feeling like crap tonight. My grandma's sent me 2 envelopes with 'weightloss' articles in them. I'm so sick of her poking at my appearance. Like I don't feel bad enough every time I look in a mirror. Sometimes she makes me feel so horribly worthless. I hate it. :(

Sorry for the rant.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on a weight-induced negative spiral, myself. My friend just lost 28 pounds and says it so casually. "I don't know how it happened, I just shed these unwanted 28 pounds,i it's so great!"

And I'm sitting there thinking... wow. I'm a cow. So. I feel you on that one.

No wonder so many horror novels have body image as a plot point. I think that's a YA horror novel thing that should be played with more.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find noise cancelling headphones and door locks to be of great help. :Shrug:

Evening, hounds. Anyone hear the story in the papers about the guy eating the other guy's face off? :eek: Now that's horror.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Just relax and try not to stress out over things. So what if there are a few toys on the floor? She's 5, not 2 weeks old. You're not going to damage her. Keep an eye on her, don't let her stick a fork in the electrical outlet and make sure she's fed and properly clothed. You can do this. <3

This. :)

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, I think children are more frightening than cannibals.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
You're doing fine. You just have a chronic WORRYING condition. Just relax and try not to stress out over things. So what if there are a few toys on the floor? She's 5, not 2 weeks old. You're not going to damage her. Keep an eye on her, don't let her stick a fork in the electrical outlet and make sure she's fed and properly clothed. You can do this. <3

Thirded. And consistency - make a rule, stick with it. 5 is old enough to understand consequence to bad behavior - like writing on furniture.

My son loved to write on walls. By 4 he understood that writing on the walls meant he'd lose his crayons for the rest of the day.

Last edited:

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Hello hounds. I think Abby is right, you're stressing out too much over it, BW. You'll be fine. Just don't let her stick any living things in the dryer, washer, or microwave. :eek:

I've seen pics of both you Abby and of Bri. Chilax guys, you are both beautiful, lose weight if you want or if needed for health reasons, but not because you think you're ugly, because you're not.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
good evening, hounds. been missing y'all. writing has pretty much taken over my life, so, i'll be here when I surface for air.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
and the greatest PS ever-- My eldest son, Zack, graduated Saturday. It was a beautiful ceremony and daddy cried like a baby. He's had his heart set on being a superior court judge for years, so there's a ton of education ahead. He's a good guy.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Zack sounds like a bright kid, congrats! Kudos to him at working so hard on making his dream come true! :partyguy:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, I think children are more frightening than cannibals.

+1

Terrifying.

And consistency - make a rule, stick with it.

*cries* If I dislike rules, how the hell am I meant to enforce them? I'm using most of the stuff I have observed (the basic rules, which I more or less have been doing anyway), but there are things which I'm really not sure of.

I think Abby is right, you're stressing out too much over it, BW.

Overthinking is par for the course. My mind won't stop. :(

I've seen pics of both you Abby and of Bri.

And I have told Abby repeatedly to ignore the shit she's been getting. As long as she is healthy and happy, nothing else matters.

and the greatest PS ever-- My eldest son, Zack, graduated Saturday. It was a beautiful ceremony and daddy cried like a baby. He's had his heart set on being a superior court judge for years, so there's a ton of education ahead. He's a good guy.

Yay. :) Hope he realizes how much work is in store for him if he goes ahead with that.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all. Haven't peeked in here for a bit.

Congrats Blunt! Looks like your boy has big dreams. Go for it! :D

Big. Set the little girl down and explain that if she writes on chairs, she has to clean it up. If she does something you said no to, then there is a consequence (like no TV). she's just testing you. Be firm but fair.
(BTW this has NO effect when they become TEENAGERS! seems the braincells begin to degrade and they forget who's boss!)

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Consistency is key, and setting basic rules. I understand you having a problem with rules, but when you understand which rules are in place, and why, they'll be a whole lot easier to follow - for you and for her.

Also, and trust me on this, children really do appreciate having rules and boundaries. It's been my experience kids tend to enjoy those adults who are firm and consistent more than the ones that cater to their every whim.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, and trust me on this, children really do appreciate having rules and boundaries.
Yeah, you know, this was one of the hardest things for me to wrap my brain around. But I find it to be true, too.

Plus being rewarded for following rules and staying in boundaries makes them feel successful I think. If there are no rules or boundaries, they don't learn how to manage themselves or respect others, which is vital to functioning in society.

Now, that's not to say that they don't make it their full time job to test those rules and boundaries. :rolleyes: That's *their* job. :D

I'm a fan of the sneak attack reward--looking for those opportunities to reward them for behaving during times they maybe don't even realize they're doing it (so it starts to become engrained in their regular routine).

Trying to force a rule on them in the moment (depends on the kid, and how defiant they are) almost always gets push-back of some sort. And rewarding them at the end, for FINALLY behaving after all sorts of push-back, makes me feel like I'm sending a conflicting message. Like...I'll reward you for doing what I need/want you to do, but it's also okay for you to push back on me 12 times in the process. :rolleyes: Yeah. No.

Status
Not open for further replies.