Not open for further replies.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
In the somewhat unlikely event that I buy a next-gen console, it will certainly be the PS4. I like very little of what I've heard about the Xbone so far and the spec seems rather underwhelming.

Nope, it's most likely PC all the way for me.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Such an event won't be for a while yet, but I'm leaning towards the PS4. I have a PS3 now, so I'm familiar with the controller. At some point, games won't be made for the PS3 anymore, so I'll have to get one at some point--but I want them to work the bugs out of it first.

I had an Xbox 360 for about 2 years and never really played it. Didn't like the feel of the controller. Sold it all off a while ago.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
PS4 all the way, but I'll wait at least until December 2014 to see the game lineup and performance...

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
The consoles themselves seem close enough for my needs that neither is a solid win. I'm heavily intrigued by some of the platform franchises on PS, while I've been very happy with the ones I've played on the 360 (which I own). No clear winner there, either.

So that leaves the online component. PS is catching up, but had that ginormous crash on first launch. XBox wins there.

So XBox it is. I know Microsoft royally screwed the way they announced changes to XBox Live. But based on some discussions over at Ars Technica and some Microsoft blogs, I think Microsoft actually has a plan for tying together PC, Console, Smartphone, and tablet, that could be very interesting. If not, so be it. Still a slight edge to XBOne for me.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
So that leaves the online component. PS is catching up, but had that ginormous crash on first launch. XBox wins there.

Don't you have to pay for XBox Live? That makes it a fail for me. Online play is nowhere near important enough that I'm going to pay extra for it.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Don't you have to pay for XBox Live? That makes it a fail for me. Online play is nowhere near important enough that I'm going to pay extra for it.

Not necessarily. There's a free level. Definitely more service at the paid level, though.

My son filled up our "tiny" 20GB hard drive with indie games, so it's been worth the US$5/month for us.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

My understanding is that you have to pay for online for both PS4 & XOne. They have very similar programs, since Microsoft copies what Sony had set up, IIRC. I don't pay much attention to such things since I don't do MP or other online stuff.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have zero brand loyalty when it comes to gaming consoles. The primary reason I ended up with the PS3 on this go-round was A) I got burned twice by the 360's damned RROD, and B) I wanted a blu-ray player anyway.

This time around, I'm going to kick back and wait to see which system seems to operate well without issues, has the best features in practice (as opposed to on paper) and which has the better games. I don't anticipate actually buying either until maybe 2015 or so, just to be sure...

roundtable

Registered
Reaction score
Neither. Ever since my teens discovered Steam, they don't touch their PS3. And there is word that Steam is working on a gaming console. The company's apparently getting ready to pick their 300 beta testers for the consoles from those who applied and passed the "test", and I'm really kind of hoping my son is one of those picked. Even if he isn't, the rumor is that these devices will be more around the cost of a high-end Roku box. That works for me!

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Neither. Ever since my teens discovered Steam, they don't touch their PS3. And there is word that Steam is working on a gaming console. The company's apparently getting ready to pick their 300 beta testers for the consoles from those who applied and passed the "test", and I'm really kind of hoping my son is one of those picked. Even if he isn't, the rumor is that these devices will be more around the cost of a high-end Roku box. That works for me!

Yeah, this is where it's at for me too. Valve are putting their own OS together, and there'll be quite a range of console-like PCs running it.

I think one option is going to be a sort of 'thin' console which is actually streaming the game from your home PC, and another will be the full-fat version which is a dedicated games PC.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I hate Steam. Of course, there's really only 1 PC game I've played much in the past year, so there's that.

There aren't any reasons strong enough in favor of Xbox to deter me from getting another PS. I've never had a problem with any of my PS versions, and I don't play Halo.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
When the price lowers, I'm definitely getting a PS4. My family's first game system was the PS1, and we've been used to Playstation ever since. I loved playing games like the Jak series, LittleBigPlanet series, Uncharted series, Infamous series, Killzone 2, etc. Then you got some more cult games like Okami, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, older Final Fantasy games, etc. Obviously, the new Infamous game is making me so excited! Same with Watchdogs. :D

However, I may end up getting a 3DS/2DS before getting the more expensive next-gen. (I love Harvest Moon games, lol.)

I still play PC games, like point and click adventure games, hidden object games or other "casual" games, visual novel games or rpg games for the PC, too. Oh, and the entire Sims series. LOVE the sims! :)

Last edited:

roundtable

Registered
Reaction score
I hate Steam. Of course, there's really only 1 PC game I've played much in the past year, so there's that.

There aren't any reasons strong enough in favor of Xbox to deter me from getting another PS. I've never had a problem with any of my PS versions, and I don't play Halo.

I have two teens who like games, and I got sick and tired of paying $60 for a game they really wanted and a month later having that game selling for $20. They discovered Steam and last Christmas, $50 Steam cards for each allowed them to purchase a dozen games each. The Christmas sales with Steam are amazing, and there's no 40 mile drive to the nearest game store or paying shipping or waiting for a week after the release date for a game to arrive.

We did the GameFly subscription for a while, but even then, the shipping delays and long waits to get new releases ended up making it not worth our time.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I have two teens who like games, and I got sick and tired of paying $60 for a game they really wanted and a month later having that game selling for $20. They discovered Steam and last Christmas, $50 Steam cards for each allowed them to purchase a dozen games each. The Christmas sales with Steam are amazing, and there's no 40 mile drive to the nearest game store or paying shipping or waiting for a week after the release date for a game to arrive.

Most of the games I want for the PS3 don't seem to drop in price that quickly. If it was just a wait of a month, I'd have no problem with getting more new(er) games. The Last of Us came out in June, and it was still at $60 when I bought it with birthday money at the end of July. Now it's still $54 on Amazon. I do see that Remember Me is finally down to $27, which is a lot better than $60. So I might have to get that soon. But it was still going for $60 in July.

Steam has some wonderful deals, and I'd like to use it more. But my computer right now is very gaming-unfriendly, sadly. The graphics card isn't nearly powerful enough to handle most modern games. My mom has a media computer, but even her graphics card isn't enough to handle a lot of games. So until I can feel good about investing in a new computer, I'm happy with what I have.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going with the PS4. It's more powerful and I don't have to pay an extra hundred dollars on a camera I don't plan on using. Plus, it's going to have more indie titles, which is nice.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I'll be buying the PS4, next Friday. The Launch games are not super impressive, especially now that Watch Dogs is delayed. However, the launch window releases have me at ease. I'd rather not go through the hassle of hunting down a console later on, especially when the games do pick up. I can't wait to get my hands on the new inFamous.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
We have a 360 and would probably automatically go for the Xbox if it wasn't for the fact there's bugger all on it that appeals as yet. So if (when?) we upgrade we'll be seriously considering a PS4 this time, unlike the last time when we barely even considered the other options.

My gaming dream is the next Elder Scrolls game. No I don't want a sodding MMORPG version. Sulk.

Emma Clark

New Fish with very thick scales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clark7853.wix.com
We're getting the PS4 tomorrow night at midnight (squee).

Only getting PS4, not Xbox because we hadn't touched our Xbox in a year or two... so no point in getting another one. We love Playstation better (Black Ops ZOMBIES!! Such a great stress-reliever), and it seems there were more reasonable deals for the new system.

This would be a good topic to discuss on my GR blog, instead of always talking about my stupid books.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'll be going for the PS4, mostly because PS+ is a godly service and also because urgh Microsoft urghhhhh. I'm going to wait a bit before I buy though, the launch titles aren't really catching my interest.

Yeah, this is where it's at for me too. Valve are putting their own OS together, and there'll be quite a range of console-like PCs running it.

I think one option is going to be a sort of 'thin' console which is actually streaming the game from your home PC, and another will be the full-fat version which is a dedicated games PC.

I *love* Steam. It's an excellent service and I'm very excited about the Steam box.

When the price lowers, I'm definitely getting a PS4. My family's first game system was the PS1, and we've been used to Playstation ever since. I loved playing games like the Jak series, LittleBigPlanet series, Uncharted series, Infamous series, Killzone 2, etc. Then you got some more cult games like Okami, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, older Final Fantasy games, etc. Obviously, the new Infamous game is making me so excited! Same with Watchdogs. :D

However, I may end up getting a 3DS/2DS before getting the more expensive next-gen. (I love Harvest Moon games, lol.)

I still play PC games, like point and click adventure games, hidden object games or other "casual" games, visual novel games or rpg games for the PC, too. Oh, and the entire Sims series. LOVE the sims! :)

I can highly recommend the 2/3DS if you like Pokemon and/or the Ace Attorney series. This has really made the console worthwhile for me. (Ocarina of Time and Animal Crossing are also great!)

Also, you get props for having excellent taste in games. Okami, Shin Megami Tensei AND point and clicks! :) Awesome taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.