Status
Not open for further replies.

Two McMillion

Not a Potato Peeler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I was born in 1992. That means a lot of things, but for purposes of our discussion it means that I've been on the internet since before I was old enough to exercise good judgement about how I used it.

I got my first private computer when I was 13. In my case, this was too young for several reasons (see: poor judgement). In any case, I started exploring the internet, and as many 13 year olds are wont to do, I in due course became an internet troll. I'm not proud of that fact, but the details of that period aren't really why I'm posting this. What's important is that at one point, through an unfortunate series of events, my real name became associated with the username I used for trolling.

I've since adopted the "Two McMillion" moniker in a deliberate attempt to distance myself from those days. I like to think I'm a better person now. I'm even active on a forum I used to troll under the new name; I don't think anyone so much as guesses I used to be that other guy. At least to me, I think I act night and day differently.

It happens that on this forum, a lot of people read books, and a lot of them have excellent social media capital that could be very helpful if I can get them to like a book that I write. Several of them are regularly given advance copies of books in order to review them. Since we have a preexisting relationship, I'd certainly like to make use of that fact.

Problem is, a lot of these same people were active on that forum back in my trolling days. My concern is that if they recognize my real name (in, say the byline of a novel), that I'll lose all the credibility I've worked hard to build up with them.

I've considered writing under a pseudonym, but that would basically require me to do all of my writing under that pseudonym. I'm not sure I like that; I've been told my real name is very attractive. Alternatively, I could simply not associate my account on that forum with a book I write, but I hate to lose the opportunity my relationships there represent.

What do you guys think? Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it is, but it does bother me when I think about it.

wallfull

author, psychologist, speaker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.EileenKennedyMoore.com
If you've had substantial interaction on that forum in your "new and improved" manner, with your new moniker, that's what matters. I think it's unlikely that people will bother to "out you" by connecting your new identity to your old comments. If it does happen, be nondefensive. "Yeah, I was a jerk when I was 13. I'm very sorry if you or people you know were hurt by my comments. I would never write anything like that now." It takes courage to admit to a mistake and strength to change. I think people will respect that. I know I do. I think you can also extend some compassion to yourself--the teen years can be tough, and looking back, many of us wince and think, "I can't believe I did that."

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I'd suggest you just come clean. Admit you were a troll when you were 13 and you hurt people. It'll be potentially painful, but it's a lot easier when you control the revelation than if someone finds out. It'll also take a worry off your mind, as even with a pen name, someone might make that connection. You don't really need that hanging over you.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt if anyone cares, if they even remember. I'm sure I've gotten stupid on the internet plenty of times and not had the excuse of only being thirteen. Probably about twice per week come to think of it, ha ha. I wouldn't doubt if they already know who you are anyway. I'd just carry on and not even mention it.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be blunt, but please don't mistake that for being unkind.

To summarise what you said: you used to be a troll but now you know better. You're still a member of a forum where you used to troll, but you've rejoined with a new user-name so no one there knows you're that troll. Several members there have worked to develop reputations and skills which might be of use to you and you'd like to exploit that to help your own self publishing efforts, but you're worried they won't want to help you if they ever find out you're who you are.

I think your only option is to come clean. Make a post on the forum and tell everyone that you were a member there before, and apologise for your earlier behaviour. Do this sooner rather than later. Behave with grace if there's any pushback.

When your book is published, ask if anyone would like to review it.

Do not pester anyone, don't bang on about it, don't expect everyone who gets a review copy to write a review, and don't expect favourable reviews. A review does not have to be positive. Your only reasonable response to any review is to thank the reviewer for taking the time to read and review your book.

And good luck!

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Old Hack.

I'm reminded of the acrackedmoon/Benjanun Sriduangkaew/Winterfox/pyrofennec/Valse de Lune/Lesifoere case. Although it's not nearly as bad, if you are "outted" any apology afterwards may be interpreted as "I'm sorry I was caught" instead of "I'm sorry I was a jerk". Chances are you're going to be put under a microscope by those who remember your old ways, and some may feel you were deceiving them by coming back under a new name. You'll likely have to be on your best behavior for a while, but show them you've become a better person by owning up and accepting with grace the consequences of your past.

DifferentDrum

Gubble gubble
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with what almost everyone else has said if they can really contribute that much to your success and if you really do have good relations with them now on honest grounds (except the aforementioned omissions).

I would be concerned about the apparent transparency of my apology and confession if I then asked for a favour very soon afterwards.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I would be concerned about the apparent transparency of my apology and confession if I then asked for a favour very soon afterwards.

Definitely don't do it "very soon afterwards." I'd wait at least a few months, maybe even a year to see how the chips fall.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody really remember who trolled them nearly 10 years ago? I don't. People tend to remember the stupid shit they've done long after everyone else has forgotten.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Does anybody really remember who trolled them nearly 10 years ago? I don't. People tend to remember the stupid shit they've done long after everyone else has forgotten.

If it turns out no one remembers the trolling and the apology confuses them, that's not a bad thing. It's clear the original poster is worrying about it, and will continue to worry about it. Coming clean means that worry is gone.

If it turns out they do remember but didn't think it was that bad, the same goes. That's a worry gone.

If it turns out the trolling was harmful to someone, there will be upset, but a lot less than the "sorry I got caught" alternative down the line. Lying about your identity is not the way to form relationships with people. It's up to the people hurt to decide if they want to give someone a second chance.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I also think you'll find most people are pretty forgiving of 13-year-olds. I know I'm sure glad that the Internet wasn't really a thing when I was 13.

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Lying about your identity is not the way to form relationships with people. It's up to the people hurt to decide if they want to give someone a second chance.
Agreed. Which is why in my opinion a genuine apology must avoid being a "I'm sorry you were hurt" one.

Though people understand teenagers do stupid things, not every thirteen year old became a troll. It's old enough to know right from wrong, so I personally wouldn't blame it entirely on your age if you come clean. How you handle it now is going to show them what kind of adult you've become.

Depends on the severity and length of the trolling in my opinion. There are screennames I remember of those who didn't even personally attack or offend me, because they stood out for so long and caused so much drama. But I have a good memory for online jerks. I also suspect if there were other teens who were his targets they may remember him well, because it's an influential period in their lives. Though it might not be foreffront in their mind, I think a lot of teens remember the bullies they had to deal with online and off.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the severity and length of the trolling in my opinion. There are screennames I remember of those who didn't even personally attack or offend me, because they stood out for so long and caused so much drama. But I have a good memory for online jerks. I also suspect if there were other teens who were his targets they may remember him well, because it's an influential period in their lives. Though it might not be foreffront in their mind, I think a lot of teens remember the bullies they had to deal with online and off.

Agree. There's a difference between your average everyday assholes, and the guy who tells someone in an emotionally vulnerable place that their best solution is to kill themselves. There's also a difference if the "victims" were all adults at the time and 10 years later have completely forgotten about the OP, and if they were also young teens at the time.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think the big unknown is what happened between 13 and now (early '20s). Being a troll at 13, then straightening up and acting decently for the next 8-9 years is different from 'I started trolling at 13, and only stopped last year because I was too busy writing'.

mfoley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm new to this forum, but not new to online communities. I tend to forget trolls quickly. I'd be shocked if anyone would remember you by name as a troll from nearly ten years ago.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Does anybody really remember who trolled them nearly 10 years ago? I don't.

This happened on a different discussion board in late 2005.

I'd started a thread asking for support because I was very worried about the health tests I had to take before I could get my Canadian visa. Most people encouraged me and told me to hang in there, but one person replied: concede defeat. You just have to resign yourself to the fact that some people make it and some people don't, and you seem to be in the don't category.

Coming at a time when I was extremely stressed and vulnerable, not to mention desperate to escape the Middle East and get into Canada, that made me cry.

Things worked out for me, but I will never forget how that person took the chance to hurt me when I needed help. I remember his usernames and if I ever see him again, he goes on ignore immediately, even if he claims to have reformed.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I'm new to this forum, but not new to online communities. I tend to forget trolls quickly. I'd be shocked if anyone would remember you by name as a troll from nearly ten years ago.

I'm not new to online communities either but I still remember trolls from 10 years ago. And they are not fond memories even though I was not affected by them.

I agree with Old Hack.

I'm reminded of the acrackedmoon/Benjanun Sriduangkaew/Winterfox/pyrofennec/Valse de Lune/Lesifoere case. Although it's not nearly as bad, if you are "outted" any apology afterwards may be interpreted as "I'm sorry I was caught" instead of "I'm sorry I was a jerk". Chances are you're going to be put under a microscope by those who remember your old ways, and some may feel you were deceiving them by coming back under a new name. You'll likely have to be on your best behavior for a while, but show them you've become a better person by owning up and accepting with grace the consequences of your past.

Especially the bolded.

And issue a real and sincere apology and not the insincere 'I'm sorry if you were offended' faux apology. The heartfelt 'I hurt people and I'm sorry' apology.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that coming clean is your best course. If done with genuine humility and dignity, releasing outcome -- that is, owning your responsibility and letting others own theirs! -- ultimately it will greatly benefit you and your reputation.

Good luck.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the boat to not say anything unless you're outed. Not only was it ten years ago, it was when you were a teenager. Everyone knows how teenagers can be. I'm sure most people would cut you some slack. Not to mention, you've re-established yourself under a new name. It sounds like you've been using that for a while now. There's your proof that you've changed.

Last edited:

skylark

Registered
Reaction score

When I read about Winterfox + whatever all the other names were, my first thought was "yup, I remember you from a forum." It was certainly the best part of a decade ago.

I don't remember any of the other names because my interaction with her was as Winterfox. Not even a personal interaction - we were fellow posters, I have no memory of actually discussing anything with her.

I'd recommend that the OP comes clean now. Not in a huge great song and dance way weepy apologies way, just in the way he/she has done here. And then shuts up about it

Last edited:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I would agree that if you think there is any chance that you will be outed (and you will be, if you ever attract enough attention for anyone to give a damn), then coming clean now is much better than trying to do a frantic "I'm really, really sorry (now that I've been caught)."

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I think your only option is to come clean. Make a post on the forum and tell everyone that you were a member there before, and apologise for your earlier behaviour. Do this sooner rather than later. Behave with grace if there's any pushback.

I like the idea of coming clean. But what about PM-ing these people, either rather than making a forum post, or before making that post.

Which is why in my opinion a genuine apology must avoid being a "I'm sorry you were hurt" one.

"I'm sorry you were hurt" is definitely different from "I'm sorry I hurt you"

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
When I read about Winterfox + whatever all the other names were, my first thought was "yup, I remember you from a forum." It was certainly the best part of a decade ago.

I don't remember any of the other names because my interaction with her was as Winterfox. Not even a personal interaction - we were fellow posters, I have no memory of actually discussing anything with her.

Ohyeah...I remember Winterfox.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I have a respectable collection of scars from my Flame Warrior days, back when the Internet was the Wild West of social interactions. The dial-up noises, the slow-loading pixels, Albino Black Sheep--those were the days man. (God, we are spoiled now.) I didn't outright troll anyone, but I was on a strong learning curve for Internet Etiquette for a while there.

That said--unless you're the guy who stalked me and threatened to come to my house, yeah, I wouldn't hold your trolling days against you. (I do remember his name. And I remember the name I was using on that forum. And the names of the moderators who allowed me to change my identity and come back so he wouldn't find me, even though it was technically against the rules.)

Go for the apology like previous posters said, and know that your actions now speak louder than your transgressions when you were younger and dumber. We've all been young and dumb.

Isobel Lindley

writing as Eleanor Beresford
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eberesford.com
As someone who was badly hurt by trolls, and remembers years afterwards, I am definitely in the 'fess up boat.

Part of what leaves scars is that you don't understand why someone would want to cause pain to a stranger and why the damage done to you is meaningless or amusing to them. That means, at least to me, that you are actively looking for a reason to forgive, because that makes everything feel better. So help them forgive. Show them you regret it, and that you know they were real people just as important as you.

You might just cause of rush of relieved feeling that will make people want to pay you back by doing you a favour. And instead of looking like a cowardly person, if you're found out, you're a courageous person who learned from the dumb things you did as a kid and openly owned your mistakes.

(Further advice: don't be specific, if you did really bad things. You don't want to actually horrify unrelated people. And stress that you were a child and didn't understand the real consequences to others when you trolled. I mean... Thirteen is so ickle. If the victims of your trolling didn't know you were a kid, it would definitely put things in a different perspective to know that.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.