Not open for further replies.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
I'm posting here to share a story of 13 years of writing and querying. I've ridden the emoaster of publishing for many years, and rode out a lot of those years down in the Rejection & Dejection thread. I got an agent, lost an agent. Sold two novels to a very small press, and got almost no notice and few sales. Then I finally got the big dream: I got a well-known agent, who sold my novel at auction to a Big 5 publisher. Based on past experience, I will say that any number of things could still go wrong, but for now, it feels pretty darn good.

The whole story, with all the details, is over on my blog, but to give you a little glimpse of what things look like from here, the stats off my query spreadsheet:

In 13 years, I’ve queried 7 novels to 216 agents, for a grand total of 453 queries. In response to those queries, I received 61 requests for more material, 5 revise & resubmit requests, 451 rejections, including 197 non-responses.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the Big 5 deal. Cannot wait to read.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
:D
b.gif
a.gif
n.gif
a.gif
n.gif
a.gif
space.gif
d.gif
a.gif
n.gif
c.gif
e.gif

n.gif
o.gif
w.gif
space.gif
space.gif
w.gif
i.gif
t.gif
h.gif
space.gif
space.gif
c.gif
o.gif
n.gif
g.gif
r.gif
a.gif
t.gif
u.gif
l.gif
a.gif
t.gif
i.gif
o.gif
n.gif
s.gif

:banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
This is fabulous news and a strong advice for perseverance. Congratulations and very, very well done.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
More proof that perserverence is the indispensable key!

CGs and good luck with the next steps forward!

And nanners.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'm posting here to share a story of 13 years of writing and querying. I've ridden the emoaster of publishing for many years, and rode out a lot of those years down in the Rejection & Dejection thread. I got an agent, lost an agent. Sold two novels to a very small press, and got almost no notice and few sales. Then I finally got the big dream: I got a well-known agent, who sold my novel at auction to a Big 5 publisher. Based on past experience, I will say that any number of things could still go wrong, but for now, it feels pretty darn good.

The whole story, with all the details, is over on my blog, but to give you a little glimpse of what things look like from here, the stats off my query spreadsheet:

In 13 years, I’ve queried 7 novels to 216 agents, for a grand total of 453 queries. In response to those queries, I received 61 requests for more material, 5 revise & resubmit requests, 451 rejections, including 197 non-responses.

Brilliant post! Thank you so much for sharing and congratulations on never giving up on your dream. I hope your publishing deal turns out to be epic! :)

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bryn, this is such amazingly happy news!

And my take away is that you kept writing, trying new things, took a chance with the small press, and that ultimately led to your agent. And maybe even if you hadn't pubbed through the small press, maybe you would have queried this book again.

but you kept writing. :)

Can't wait to see the published version!

~suki

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Suki, it is all about the not giving up. It's an odd scenario, in that I doubt I would have sold the book were it not for the two small press books, and in some twist of fate, the small press didn't want this book. I love that the message here is that small press and self publishing are not poisonous. They will not ruin your shot at a career with the Big 5.

And yes, Smoothseas, at auction. The book that nobody wanted turned into the book that editors were willing to bid for. My takeaway from that is that the right agent will make things happen.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I read your blog post. I'm not sure I would have persevered as you did - truly, you are an inspiration. Enjoy your success. :)

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations--may this be the marriage of your dreams!

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's so cool! Huge congrats!

I hope your book takes off like a rocket once it hits the shelves. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.