Getting on Rush Limbaugh's show ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattManochio

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MattManochio.com
Before you throw something at the computer screen, hear me out!

I managed to get on Rush Limbaugh's show yesterday to discuss the idea of the American Dream in relation to unknown authors (me) who are trying to achieve it. I did not get a chance to plug my work on his show because I was asked not to, and I kept my word. Rush was nice enough to do some research on me and plugged me and the book anyway. I did not ask for this, nor did I expect it. (These are the things you have to attempt to do when you don't have a major publisher backing you! Take chances to spread the word!)

We did NOT discuss politics at all. I don't hold his political views against him and therefore decline to buy his or any author's books. (I know there are people who refuse to buy products because of the person's politics. Personally, I separate entertainment from politics. That's just me.)

I KNOW Rush is polarizing and I'm sure some people on these boards don't like him. That's fine. But all I ask is that you put whatever reservations you have aside and view our conversation for what it is: a discussion of hard work, trying, taking chances, and asking for help when you need it. (I live by that, and even though I've gotten more nos than yeses, those yeses greatly mattered.)

Author: The American Dream Still Exists - The Rush Limbaugh Show

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Huh, that was cool of him to do for you. And I liked your part of the interview :) I hope it gets you lots of exposure for your books!

But I'm definitely not a Rush fan. I have to add that since he is a political topic on his own.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's quite an accomplishment! Exciting in its own right but good exposure for your book.

You know what might be helpful, especially to self-pubbed authors? Tell us how you did it! it might get more attention if you posted it in the self-pubbing forum or the markteting and promotions forum, but this is a publicity coup and lots of folks might be able to learn from your experience.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Shouldn't this go in promotion or something?

Also,

I don't hold his political views against him and therefore decline to buy his or any author's books.

What?

I'd be happy to go on Limbaugh's show and discuss politics with Mr. 'the sea level won't rise if the polar ice caps melt, it's like ice cubes in a glass of water.' Please. :)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be happy to go on Limbaugh's show and discuss politics with Mr. 'the sea level won't rise if the polar ice caps melt, it's like ice cubes in a glass of water.' Please. :)
I'd rather slam my fingers in a door until it stops hurting or I pass out from the pain, whichever comes first.

Sorry. I hope it works out for you, but I'd never call the guy, no matter how compelling the subject, because I think he's totally abhorrent. Hell, I'd never call the guy no matter how compelling the subject because I don't listen to the show so I wouldn't know what the current topic is/was.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Before you throw something at the computer screen, hear me out!

I managed to get on Rush Limbaugh's show yesterday to discuss the idea of the American Dream in relation to unknown authors (me) who are trying to achieve it.
First of all, congratulations on getting on the show! Who knows how many callers he gets every day, certainly dozens and likely hundreds trying to get on the air, and it seems he takes about a half dozen at most over all three hours.

I was half-listening through most of it yesterday, and remember he said something like "I found Matt from New Jersey's book." I definitely remember (now reading the transcript) "asking for what you want is often no more than a job interview."

A personal aside - I remember over 20 years ago, advice I think was in an interview book, "ASK for the job. Say "I WANT to work for [Company Name]" I did just that to the engineering director at one interview for a company I really liked - I didn't get that job, but I was called back a few weeks later, interviewed for and got an equivalent one.

I did not get a chance to plug my work on his show because I was asked not to, and I kept my word. Rush was nice enough to do some research on me and plugged me and the book anyway. I did not ask for this, nor did I expect it. (These are the things you have to attempt to do when you don't have a major publisher backing you! Take chances to spread the word!)
And a DOUBLE congratulations for him hunting down your book and mentioning it on the air! Now that's the kind of exposure that's hard to buy at any price, even if it's Darth Vader mentioning it.
We did NOT discuss politics at all. I don't hold his political views against him and therefore decline to buy his or any author's books. (I know there are people who refuse to buy products because of the person's politics. Personally, I separate entertainment from politics. That's just me.)
It's kind-of arguable that the "American Dream" thing IS political, though it's not blatantly the us-vs-them thing that's the usual political fare.
I KNOW Rush is polarizing and I'm sure some people on these boards don't like him. That's fine. But all I ask is that you put whatever reservations you have aside and view our conversation for what it is: a discussion of hard work, trying, taking chances, and asking for help when you need it. (I live by that, and even though I've gotten more nos than yeses, those yeses greatly mattered.)

Author: The American Dream Still Exists - The Rush Limbaugh Show
I think that's a great topic (though I wonder how many will choose not to read that transcript because of the name), and again congratulations!
Shouldn't this go in promotion or something?

Also,

What?

There's a "Goals and Accomplishments" subforum, though not everyone thinks of this as an accomplishment...

But really, all Rush talks about is the latest Apple iPhone IOS updates and his new kitten. I've not heard him say a single word about Ferguson or whatever... :D

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Assholes can have moments where they are not assholes. Even a blind pig can find an acorn sometimes.

No pun intended.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
My problem with Mr Limbaugh isn't his politics. It's the way he misrepresents and distorts science, mocks and derides the character of people who don't agree with him, slut shames, and seeks to widen the chasm of misunderstanding and empathy in our society. All in the name of entertainment.

Having said this, I'm sure that he's got a one on one persona that's more amiable, and that he's got a side we don't usually get to see on TV. Hopefully being on his show will help your book sales and give some other aspiring writers some ideas.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
I heard your call. Congratulations. And believe me, if it's common for his screener to ask people not to plug their book, they don't listen.

Since you kept your word, he made the effort and it earned you extra points, in my opinion.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Well the guy has the political Howard Stern thing down pat which means he has an audience in the millions, some who love him and some who think this planet is better off without him, all of whom always want to know what he'll say next. So just remember to analyze it in terms of the mass exposure you'll get.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It's kind-of arguable that the "American Dream" thing IS political, though it's not blatantly the us-vs-them thing that's the usual political fare.

Oh, the American Dream and one's conception of it is most definitely a political topic.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
My problem with Mr Limbaugh isn't his politics. It's the way he misrepresents and distorts science, mocks and derides the character of people who don't agree with him, slut shames, and seeks to widen the chasm of misunderstanding and empathy in our society. All in the name of entertainment.

And as evidenced in this transcripts, his misconception that anecdotal evidence disproves overall trends shows a fundamental misunderstanding of statistics.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
And as evidenced in this transcripts, his misconception that anecdotal evidence disproves overall trends shows a fundamental misunderstanding of statistics.

No, it just shows how the common man looks at those things. We really need better education. :)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
No, it just shows how the common man looks at those things. We really need better education. :)

Same thing. The common man has a fundamental misunderstanding of statistics.

As humans, we're naturally terrible at probability. Lots of times even when we know better.

That being said, I think the American Dream is a fascinating political topic for discussion, particularly from a multicultural context.

Last edited:

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Certainly. So do I. So do most people.

I'm just glad that Matt was able to get on live radio, didn't make an ass of himself (as I'm sure most of us are afraid we would), had a positive point to deliver, and got some unasked for pub.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I KNOW Rush is polarizing and I'm sure some people on these boards don't like him. That's fine. But all I ask is that you put whatever reservations you have aside and view our conversation for what it is: a discussion of hard work, trying, taking chances, and asking for help when you need it.

Yeah, but no. Good for you, but I wouldn't listen to Rush Me My Oxycontin even if I were on his show. Nothing positive can come from exposure to such bigotry, stupidity and ugliness.

If you're looking for chocolate cake, it's unlikely you'll find any in an unflushed toilet. :Cake:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Congrats, sir. No, this really doesn't belong in P&CE. But there's some consideration as to where it does belong. (Probably over in promotion or accomplishments.) A brief consultation, and then a move.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Mod Note:

Hi folks welcome to Goals & Accomplishments. Here we need to tone down the political stuff. We can congratulate the OP for having a book discussed on a national radio show.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratz, Dude - That's HUGE!!! ;)

MattManochio

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MattManochio.com
Certainly. So do I. So do most people.

I'm just glad that Matt was able to get on live radio, didn't make an ass of himself (as I'm sure most of us are afraid we would), had a positive point to deliver, and got some unasked for pub.

Thanks Synonym. I have a marketing budget in the hundreds or dollars, not thousands, and I suspect many of us are in the same boat. I know Rush's audience reaches around 4 million people at any one time. It was a gamble and pure luck to have gotten through, convinced the call screener that I wasn't going to shamelessly promote myself, and to actually get on the air. (Sometimes people wait and never get on.) Believe me, I wanted an opening to describe my book but wasn't going to unless Rush provided that avenue. And when he went to break, I thought that was it. I gave it the good college try. No shame in that. My jaw dropped when he came back and mentioned me. I wasn't expecting it at all.

When you're a complete unknown, you have to be creative when it comes to getting publicity. Look, I'm trying to get on NPR, too. That's just as much of a longshot. (And I'm sure there are some folks who detest NPR for whatever the reason. I'm simply trying to reach readers.) I'm doing my best to get on local radio here in NJ. I believe in the power of that medium and gravitate toward it.

I'm pleased to say I've received no hate mail or snark on Twitter because of my appearance. And I was expecting it, sad to say. So far the messages I've received have been nothing but positive.

Thanks for the support and kind words, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.