Favorite lines you've written

{DeadlyNightShade}

Registered
Reaction score
My main character struggling with what he has been born to do. He feels extreme guilt for having to leave his mother to "defeat the bad guy"

"Ah fate. Such an easy explanation, such a convienient excuse," his once kind conscience mocked.

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
From my YA WIP:

The galaxy is a wondrous place Charley, but it ain’t all starlight and moonbeams, not by a long sight.

Selcaby

Writer of wrongs
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my male MC trying to convince the female MC that the spell she just freed him from has lasted much longer than she thought. So he shows her the loose change he had in his pocket when it all began.

"This one says 1919," she said, sounding half disbelieving, half awed. "One penny. I never knew they were this big! Who's the king? George the fifth..."

Georgius V Dei Gra Britt Omn Rex Fid Def Ind Imp, his mind supplied.

He's memorised all the inscriptions on the coins due to having nothing else to read. Yes, it's a horrible spell.

GJB

Oh, what a ride
Registered
Reaction score
Favorite lines.

Only a Death-Knower can die.
And live again.
Only a Death-Knower can return from death.
And remember.
Only a Death-Knower can tell us what he has seen.
Not all care to listen.

Very nice. I can see why you're represented and published. g

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Context: A soldier, isolated and lost, in the aftermath of an artillery attack:

As he continued trying to be part of the earth, Saint heard his heartbeat, at least 150 booms a minute, echoing in his head, trapped there with the reverberating blasts of shells and rattle of small arms, ghost memory captured in the steel helmet like the sound of the sea in the shell of a conch.

caw

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
"If you ask me about your wife again I will go upstairs and cut off her nose. Her screams should prove to you she is still alive."

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
Someday I will really learn to use this thing.

One of my faves makes no sense without a lengthy set-up, so I'll go with my all-time favorite opening line. From the unpublished novel which kept me out of every creative writing program in the US:
"The Emperor wants money."

Last edited:

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
My two MC's (both detectives) are getting into her car...

I got into the passenger seat and took out my cell phone. Mahady started the car, and Britney Spears blared from the CD player.
I turned my head slowly, a big smile playing out.
“Big Britney fan, huh?”
“What? Uh… no… uh, my sister and her… uh friends were in here the other day…”
“What a fantastic lie! Come, give me another one. Hit me baby. One more time.”
“Seriously. I don’t listen to this crap. I’m more of a rock woman.”
“Oops. You did it again.”

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
This entire passage is fun. Sorry for the length.

“Good, I guess,” Patrick replied. “I think she cut through all the bull and got to the meat and potatoes of what we’re all about.”
This was something new for Patrick, Ben thought--an analogy. “What’s going on right now?”
“Destanee’s filling everyone in on the details.”
“Of why we need a revolution?”
“No, I think she’s explaining how to keep a soufflé from collapsing.”

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
My two MC's (both detectives) are getting into her car...

This entire passage is fun. Sorry for the length.

:ROFL::roll::Hail: Snerk... oh, these made me laugh! Ow... now I've got a stitch... thanks, guys.

Back on topic. Sorta. Another favorite of mine:

"The cauldron with a phoenix trailing rune-shaped smoke."

...that's it. I actually wrote a sentence fragment. I'd die of embarassment if that sentence was in one of my current WIPs...

yappo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ljiid.blogspot.com
[FONT=Courier, monospace]Sworn men no longer. Soldiers no longer. Warriors no longer. Killers only, hunting in the dark.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier, monospace]Sten
[/FONT]

Mythica

Expert Gerbil Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.courtneyallisonmoulton.com
This is one my favorite lines from my first book. It comes in at a very tense moment and I think it really defines the scene.

[FONT=&quot]"I can't love you and know that I am going to lose you in a few short years. The rest of your life may seem like it will take an eternity, but you know nothing of eternity and the darkness that will await me when you are dead."[/FONT]

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
My PI is talking to a barman, George, about his current case involving the death of a rich businessman.

"Pissing in the big boy’s pond this time were we?" George said, chewing on his cigarette.
"Aye… with the sprinkler attachment on. I made quite a mess."

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
*Amateur alert* this is from the first draft of the only novel I've ever written...this is a girl's description of her mother's corpse at the wake.

"Like a locust leaves a perfect colorless replica of itself, my mother had left this behind. This shell with it's chapped lips, and marble skin. More mannequin than mom, is what I thought."

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm describing a run down farmhouse yard treated cruely by a house full of teenaged and twenty-something farmboys:

From the grease spills and chickens running amuck, the grass had no real chance to see the golden rays of summer or feel the sweet nectar of a morning's shower. Used up oil cans and rusted car parts and nails littered the front while chickens clawed and pecked the remaining tender seeds of what you might call a lawn in the rear. The boys used the chickens for fighting in old man Lowry’s barn on Saturday night.

Fixed it for you. :)

Nice excerpt.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I actually wrote this on another forum (sports related) in response to some callous comments by some of the members regarding a certain player. I liked it so well I decided to save it hoping I would find someplace to insert it into one of my projects.

Please do us all a favor shove a steel rod up your nose until it hits that tiny piece of brain matter floating around in your thick cranium. Then push it around until there's nothing left. The world needs fewer idiots and more vegetables.

Varthikes

Dragon Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Draconia, Orion's Arm, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way G
Circumstances require that Varthikes smuggle Ilka into the Range in his mouth.

"Wha-what if you find that you like the taste of Human?" Ilka asks.

"If that should happen," Varthikes answers, a glint of humor creeping into his tone, "upon the great wings of most honorable Vrathrenes and upon the great, golden egg of most honorable Faranth, then, do I swear to resist the urge to swallow.
"

Axelle

Registered
Reaction score
I loved the one by Charlie Horse about the eject button !

Here are two of mine...

This time, Jacob understood. "You mean you're a..."
"Bastard."
"I was going to say illegitimate child."
"Well, you can be a bastard too at times, so I suppose we're even."

"You're weak", she said disdainfully.
He had a thin smile. "You might say so; I for one, prefer to think that mercy is the privilege of the strong. The weak just cannot afford it."

Oasilhael

Registered
Reaction score
Two WWI soldiers (Sam and Joshua) are arguing with each other about bravery. They approach Carl Grestler, my protagonist:

"Hey, Grestler!" came Sam's voice, floating over the smoky terrain and through the trench. "Is the medic anywhere around here?"

"No," Carl replied in a monotone, still fixing his eyes on his battered rifle. "Why?"

"We gotta get a spine transplant for Joshua; looks like he lost his a while back."