Novels I should read

Status
Not open for further replies.

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am finding it incredibly hard to find new novels/ authors to read in the genre that I want to write in (I must be going about it the wrong way, surely!), and so am wondering whether I could get recommendations from fellow AWers.

I am looking for:
- contemporary, real life women's fiction
- written in third, past tense

I would rather avoid:
- chick lit
- topics that I find cliche (life change because hubby/ child dies or leaves...)
- based on mystery/ who done it?
- no erotica (sex is fine if just an incidental part of the story, not its motivation)

As a clue, I have loved novels by Barbara Kingsolver, Patrick Gale, John Irving and Chris Cleave.

If you have read books that you have loved and feel fits these descriptions, please please recommend them to me.

If you are writing a book that would fit these descriptions, let me know, I might be interested in beta reading it!

Looking forward to finding out what might crop up!

(and if you have advice on getting better at finding what I want in book stores and online, I am all ears also!)

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Try Meg Wolizter - I liked both The Wife (can't remember if it's contemporary) and The Interestings. Elizabeth Strout - I've read everything of hers. Don't remember the time period, but the topics were mostly contemporary. I loved Olive Kittridge, actually I loved all her novels except The Burgess Boys. You might try Marisa de los Santos - more "women's fiction" than the previous, but well written. The Language of Flowers was pretty good. And Tell the Wolves I'm Home excellent, although it featured a young protagonist.

I love Kingsolver. And you'll notice most of these are written by women. Not intentional - I read widely. These were just what popped into mind. BTW, if you read short stories, I can highly recommend Megan Mayhew Bergman.

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
Try Meg Wolizter - I liked both The Wife (can't remember if it's contemporary) and The Interestings. Elizabeth Strout - I've read everything of hers. Don't remember the time period, but the topics were mostly contemporary. I loved Olive Kittridge, actually I loved all her novels except The Burgess Boys. You might try Marisa de los Santos - more "women's fiction" than the previous, but well written. The Language of Flowers was pretty good. And Tell the Wolves I'm Home excellent, although it featured a young protagonist.

I love Kingsolver. And you'll notice most of these are written by women. Not intentional - I read widely. These were just what popped into mind. BTW, if you read short stories, I can highly recommend Megan Mayhew Bergman.

Thank you so much for these recommendations, I shall check them out and let you know!

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed THE WIVES OF BATH by Susan Swan. The protagonist is a teen but the book is not (repeat: not) YA. Unusual story.

Will definitely check that out too, thank you!

Livilla

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Fay Weldon? I admit she uses present tense a lot, but I really like some of her recent-ish, post-2000 works (and some of her pre-2000 works, of course), and I think they could at least partly be what you're looking for.

yetanotherheather

Registered
Reaction score
I am so excited by this thread! These are exactly the kind of books I am always looking for and the kind I'm hoping I've written. I have read many of the recommendations and will definitely check out the rest.

lise8, I am brand new to AW so I feel completely out of line asking someone to beta read for me, but I will definitely keep you in mind.:) Thank you so much for starting this great discussion!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Joyce Carol Oates.

Seconded, though some of hers are in present tense and not all of them are contemporaries.

Marya: A Life might be a good one of hers to fit your criteria, though it's been a while since I read it and can't remember if it's present or past tense. It is third person. (I thought I had a copy, but it appears I don't.)

ZaraZara

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure if this fits what you're looking for, but when I read "contemporary, real-life women's fiction" I immediately thought of A Thousand Splendid Suns (one of my favourite books).

Status
Not open for further replies.