Hi folks! New up and coming author here!

falconxhummingbird

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. My name is Jacob Whitfield and I'd just like to tell you a little bit about myself and why I have finally found refuge on this wonderful that I've been lurking on for quite some time.

As you probably guessed from the title - hopefully correctly, is that I am an up and coming author. Yes, an author! Just recently, about a month or so ago, I acquired a publisher for my fiction novel, which I categorize as YA Supernatural Suspense/Thriller, but I cringe every single time before I barely know if it fits in two of those: supernatural and thriller. It has a supernatural-esque vibe. No vampires. No werewolves. Witches, I'd suspect, but not really. There are no spells, only the sheer force and power of will of the mind.

I started writing in about the seventh grade, but I've always been told that I'm pretty good, and have been urged to go into the writing field. But me being my hard-headed self, I ignored and thought I'd pursue a career, possibly, in football, because my brother formerly played sports and I didn't really want to look like the "odd ball out," so I tried, too. Failed miserably, I must add. I guess that vigor and want died long ago when I wanted to be a soccer player. A thought which dissipated after a while.

Then, as I stated above, in the seventh grade, I was really interested in the career of screen writing and directing. Especially directing. I just wanted to make movies and create cool characters. And I had about seven composition books but really just used one for the most part. But in that one, I had all types of stories and potential-movie names and even a few that I'd written.

It was in eighth grade, however, when I was introduced and fell in love with The Hunger Games - the dystopian novel everyone and their mothers know about. Every single story I thought about after that was simply dystopian and had something to do with kids killing kids. And to this day, as I think back on it, my head hurts that much more. But I must thank Mrs. Collins, because I really learned from all that influence her books put on me, that I was capable of creating a story to.

What started on September 13th, 2013, as a mere idea resembling that of a ton before it (just name them: deceitful government, kids killing kids, X-Men-like abilities, a broken nation), became the story I hold today; very much near and dear to my heart.

Last edited:

infinity

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on your upcoming publication! I, too, am from the Heart of Dixie.

LA

falconxhummingbird

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Thanks! I believe nervousness has become me. I can't get these jitters out. Only a couple more weeks!

Did my description grip you?

infinity

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was a unique concept. YA thriller is my normal genre to read in, so I'm probably not your target audience. But I did like the symbolism of the birds, and the storyline of helping her best friend/love interest would be something that drew me in to read a book I wouldn't normally.

falconxhummingbird

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Oh, great! That's all I could ever hope for! Anything to get someone interested!

I saw on your thread where you mention you've self-published two novels? Have any links?

positivePXL

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. My name is Jacob Whitfield and I'd just like to tell you a little bit about myself
--cut--
--cut--
--cut--
--cut--
--cut--

A little bit huh?

We're gunna get along just fine then. I was told to write a 2-page short story for my comp class. I got an F because I gave her 8 pages :D

positivePXL [+PXL]

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
:welcome: Always great to have new authors about. Tell us about your book! When's the release date? Print or ebook? What's the title? Who's your publisher? We have readers as well as writers here, so we like to see new stuff come out! Oh, and make sure you wander by our YA room. Lots of like-minded people there. :)

Last edited:

falconxhummingbird

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Hi, Cathy!:Hug2:

It's so wonderful to have someone as friendly and exciting as you are!

I had a description about my book along with my very long life story, lol, but I was informed to take it down as it wasn't a proper place for me to "promote" my novel. But alas, here it is:

For sixteen year-old Gwendoline Calvert, the worst thing in the world isn’t losing some precious toy, or bruising the knee with an awful scrape, or even nightmares. It’s the family she belongs to; the person she was born to become. And having all the wealth and power in the world still couldn’t save her from herself. At the young age of only twelve years-old, Wendy is initiated into the Cloak and Daggers Club - an elite club for those of the wealthy, separated into four sectors. Hummingbirds (Assassin); Falcons (Psychic); Ravens (Spy); Owls (World Leader/Politician). Wendy becomes a Falcon.

Set in the near-future, t
hirteen is the number of families that rule the world. They lurk in the shadows, behind the presidential elections, and in front of computer screens that, with one click, could make a stock rise or fall. Above the family is a governing body: the Council of Thirteen, and the leader of the Council is the Master of Light. Gwendoline Calvert is a member of the twelfth family, and when the Master of Light is assassinated, becomes a candidate in a seemingly archaic competition of finding a new leader.

The release date is still unsure of, but very soon! :poke:

It's releasing as an e-book and also print-on-demand.

My publisher is a small, somewhat indie publisher called Dpcotcom! They've been wonderful and outstanding with getting back to me.

Anymore questions, you know where to find me!

Sincerely,
Jacob Whitfield
:hi:

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, 'Bama. Keep up the great work and enthusiasm for it. :applause:

falconxhummingbird

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Calling each other by our states' name?:Hug2:

All right!:partyguy:

And thanks! Keep up your good work too, good sir of Oregon!:D

ebrillblaiddes

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

I'm not familiar with your publisher either. How did you find them?

falconxhummingbird

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I really hate that I can't be as detailed as I'd wished to be:poke:

But I believe it was just a list of publishers and agents when I was researching for someone to take my novel at the time. I also had two other publishers interested in my work.:D

Last edited:

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Jacob, I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, but that website raises quite a few red flags for me. I've never heard of a legitimate publisher stating upfront that it will do no marketing for its authors, other than putting the title of their book up on a few websites. (And advising the author that one good way to self-market is to buy a bunch of POD books through the publisher and sell them at a book launch party is a BIG red flag.) Have you had a chance to talk to any of the people they have published so far? There are a lot of questions to ask before committing to a publisher, and I'm concerned you may not have done the proper vetting. I hope you haven't paid these folks for anything, or signed a contract without a proper legal review by an attorney who knows the book publication business, including digital publication.