*tap tap* Is this thing on?

chaneyk06

Coming up with a better title
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm Chaney and I just joined yesterday. I posted first in the pub, because frankly you can get lost in there really easily. It's probably the trapdoors.

(That was three adverbs in one sentence, wasn't it? Stephen King would slap me silly.)

I work in university communications and have a historical fiction manuscript that needs dusting off. I look forward to getting more involved in the forums and helping out with critiques. I've done about as much lone-wolfing as I can handle, so I'm excited to get to know you fine people and have you shred my work in return. :) Onwards!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

LilyJade

Registered
Reaction score
*Waves* Hi! Welcome to the insanity!

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Chaney! :welcome: Stephen King, although I love his books, does lots of things others complain about, so adverb away.

chaneyk06

Registered
Reaction score
Thank goodness! I find that adverbs improve my life immeasurably. :) (I won't make that claim about my writing though.)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stephen King's intent in On Writing was woefully misunderstood. He's a selective adverb user, as anyone can plainly see in his short stories and novels.

I text with Stevie every day, and he said to tell Chaney in Oakland, "If y'throw 'em all out, it'll haunt ya, man.":eek:

I went to school in Concord, and my sister lives in Lafayette. She's a hardcore Raider fan and contributes regularly to their bail bond fund.

:welcome:.

chaneyk06

Registered
Reaction score
I always feel like adverbs give a little extra specificity to my mental picture. I *do* want to know just how someone says something, whether they are being flip or regretful or scathing. They're like the details that fill in the picture for me.

Come on back and visit the East Bay! I don't go to Raiders games but I consider my neighborhood's main attractions to be the mac & cheese restaurant and the artisan tiki bar. Gentrification (and I'm part of the problem)...

ebrillblaiddes

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

Adverbs can be great.
However, I'm usually better served by killing them.
*mental image of some kind of ceremony requiring adverb sacrifice*

Last edited:

chaneyk06

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I bet that's Stephen King's entire writing philosophy right there.