How'd You Find This Site?

JohnnyRed

Registered
Reaction score
newby here

Hello All
First time on here. Found the site through the usual way, browsing for advice and hints on how to get my work out there.
Anyone interested, please take a look at my website www.johnrmckay.com.
I have 3 novels completed, one self published and available through Kindle. The second is in pre-production with a publisher and the third is waiting to be put out there.
Looking forward to spending time on this forum.
John

Dracomada

Registered
Reaction score
I found this sight through the all powerful Google. I was searching for how you would write a nonverbal vocalization made by a person. Specifically a hiss made by pressing your tongue against your front teeth used as a sound of disgust or frustration. I think it is tch or tsh. I thought I seen it used before but haven't found anything yet. So if any of you know what I'm talking about, that would be helpful. ;)

I really liked what I saw on the forums and have been looking for people to help me get better at writing, so I signed up.

Kronisk

Banned
Reaction score
Sydney. Please do not call me Australian. My disli
I was directed to this site by a fellow Goodreads user who themselves is probably registered here. They directed me because I started a thread on Goodreads asking for help finding an editor and they wanted to investigate me a bit further. Their advice was that I needed more beta-reading and refining, so I am looking for guidance in doing that.

Needless to say I really wish I had not been in such a hurry to self publish.

languagelady

Registered
Reaction score
By an author on Twitter

I was chatting on Twitter with a published author I admire about the writing process and she recommended Absolute Write.

theonewhocalls

Registered
Reaction score
Camp nano, anyone?

So I found this site because I'm participating in Camp Nanowrimo this month and I was checking out all of their advice on writing, and a couple posts they had linked about finding crit partners talked about getting into the community on message boards and forums like this, and Absolute Write was linked in one of those posts as a good place to start, so I did!

Bit of a long story huh?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I found this sight through the all powerful Google. I was searching for how you would write a nonverbal vocalization made by a person. Specifically a hiss made by pressing your tongue against your front teeth used as a sound of disgust or frustration. I think it is tch or tsh. I thought I seen it used before but haven't found anything yet. So if any of you know what I'm talking about, that would be helpful. ;)

I really liked what I saw on the forums and have been looking for people to help me get better at writing, so I signed up.

That would probably be tsk.

SusieQZ

Wallflower. Ivory Tower. Empower.
Registered
Reaction score
I was searching for examples of typical recovery times for knife wounds and a post from this site came up.

Yeah... maybe it's best if I don't publicize that this is how I found the site.

SallyM

SallyM
Registered
Reaction score
How I found this site

My niece, who is a published author, pointed me to it. BTW, I believe it should be web 'site', not 'sight'. So far I find it interesting but tough to navigate.

Creative Cowboy

A Reader Is A Writer's Best Friend.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Sighting Sites and Pagan Rites

My niece, who is a published author, pointed me to it. BTW, I believe it should be web 'site', not 'sight'. So far I find it interesting but tough to navigate.
A lurker may only sight.... depends on the emphasis one puts to this site. Up close, its a site; from afar its a sight.

I thought my comment was funny but that was before I had my coffee. Happy Easter. May all your creative fertilities be renewed.

Now I go have coffee.

Yjrd1

Registered
Reaction score
For the past few months, I've been looking for ways to interact with other writers. Not for specific genre's or age groups, just writers. Up until now, I've been unable to find said way to interact, and it's felt kind of like a lonely road.

When I started Camp NaNoWriMo this month, I assumed it would be much like last November during the first NaNo that I participated in - grueling and difficult to find advice. My girlfriend, however, mentioned something about this site, and I immediately jumped on it.

Now here I am.
*fist pump*
Ready for action.

The Weaver

Registered
Reaction score
Found this place by lurking on the Something Awful Forums' Creative Convention sub forum for good writing communities and this site was mentioned.

Marianne Kirby

Blue Hair, Don't Care
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.xojane.com
I was Googling a publishing house that is interested in my novel. I think it's the writing equivalent of when you meet someone new. One of the first results was 40+ page thread that spanned about 5 years -- I gave it a day or so of consideration and then joined because I think that level of passionate involvement plus staying power is awesome. And none of my local writing groups have managed that.

dibbiluncan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
libbiduncan.blogspot.com
Reddit!

I've seen the site recommended in a few different articles online, but I didn't decide to join until a fellow redditor recommended it. Be sure to check out /r/writing, /r/DestructiveReaders (for brutally honest critiques), and all of the other great subs there. I'm happy to be using both websites now! Everyone has been very welcoming.

Vampirequeen

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking for lists of cliches a few months ago and finally decided to join earlier this month.

JimmyN

Registered
Reaction score
I was searching for a list of UK literary agents and landed on someone's post on the forum. The post was extremely helpful.

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
Via Podcast

I found this site after listening to a recent interview on the Book Editor Show podcast which left me with a favorable impression of the caliber of writers and publishing professionals that I would find here.

StephLondon

Registered
Reaction score
I typed "Writing Forum" into a search engine and, alas, AbsoluteWrite popped up. It was all very majestic; angels singing, babies laughing, bright light shining from my laptop.

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
Plain and simple happy accident.

Lionheart9772101

Registered
Reaction score
Found this site on YouTube, A dissatisfied guy was ranting about a publishing company I was researching, and in passing, he mentioned absolutewriter, in glowing terms. Was he on the payroll, absolute? lol. In either case, I'm glad to have discovered absolute. I do hope to learn from everyone here! Lorenzo Lionheart.

Last edited:

Chessiejenna

Registered
Reaction score
I found AbsoluteWrite through a blog suggesting beta services. So far, I think it's one of the best on the list.

MorganMcGuire

Don't overcomplicate it
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

After locking myself out multiple times, I've breeched the bastion and am in. I was referred to this site by JeanneTGC. She suggested it as a valuable site for writing information. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Kind regards,

Morgan McGuire