Hi :)

D Ridder

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all.
I'm 32 and from Australia. I've been interested in writing since I could pick up a pen, and started off very young writing poetry and short stories; mainly fantasy.

I wrote my first 'novel' when I was 14, but I threw it out when I decided you couldn't be a writer for a career, and dumped my writing folder in the trash.

I've started probably fifty+ stories, but I have a real issue with sticking with it, so none are complete or even close to completion.

I was recently inspired to really attempt to get a novel completed and published after reading a certain very popular book which has now been turned into a movie. After reading it ( and only enjoying the first four chapters) I immediately thought, 'If this can be a best seller, then so can anything I could write'. So I am giving it another try.

Last edited:

astronauticecream

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!
I'm similar to you, I gave up for a long time, and didn't write for years. But my characters and ideas just won't stop pestering me, so I knew I had to write.

It shows you are a true writer.

Paragraphic

Word eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to Absolute Write! And welcome back to writing!

I was around that age when some other kid tried to tell me I couldn't make a career out of writing. So far she's been right but until recently I was more into writing for writing than writing for a career anyway. I can't imagine not writing for so long! Do you still have all of your old plot ideas and story starters or are you starting from scratch? What's it like to start again? Do you write the same genre you were interested in as a kid?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

lucky toaster

I'm toasty and I know it.
Registered
Reaction score
I've started probably fifty+ stories, but I have a real issue with sticking with it, so none are complete or even close to completion.

You and I are in the same boat there. Good luck to you!

D Ridder

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to Absolute Write! And welcome back to writing!

I was around that age when some other kid tried to tell me I couldn't make a career out of writing. So far she's been right but until recently I was more into writing for writing than writing for a career anyway. I can't imagine not writing for so long! Do you still have all of your old plot ideas and story starters or are you starting from scratch? What's it like to start again? Do you write the same genre you were interested in as a kid?

Yes I really didn't write at all for around 15 years. I wrote a fan fiction for a video game when I was in my early twenties, but I abandoned that pretty quickly. I started writing fan fiction again two years ago and have now gone back to original work.

When I was younger I was a fan of Tolkein and C.S. Lewis, so all my work was fantasy. But the novel I completed in my teen years was a thriller.

These days I still write a bit of fantasy, but I am currently working on an erotic fic. It seems to be the in thing at the moment :Shrug:

positivePXL

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...

I have a quote for just this occasion:
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you,
Maya Angelou

I look forward to seeing completed works of yours streaming into the SYW thread before too long. Can't push you too hard though, then I'd have to start writing again...

positivePXL [+PXL]

yetanotherheather

Registered
Reaction score
I was recently inspired to really attempt to get a novel completed and published after reading a certain very popular book which has now been turned into a movie. After reading it ( and only enjoying the first four chapters) I immediately thought, 'If this can be a best seller, then so can anything I could write'. So I am giving it another try.

I understand your inspiration completely and I'm glad to know that book was good for something. I had a similar experience after reading a different horrible book. I knew I could write something better. My real "aha" moment, however, was when I realized that, as awful as that book was, the author had still managed to do something I hadn't: she'd written an entire novel and even got it published. Talk about inspiring! (I might be a little bit competitive...)

Welcome to AW and I hope to see you around!

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Haha! Yes! I think we may have all had that moment of thinking, hell, if that could get published, my work can, too!

Welcome to the Cooler!