Clever Title Introducing a New Member

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First post on this forum. Looks very promising so far. I learned of it from an interview with Jim Heckett (I think) on The Book Editor Podcast.

I am an older, poor, and mostly unpublished writer, though I've had a couple of encouraging rejection letters from years ago. For the past couple of years I have been learning all I could from various Indie/Self publishing podcasts and their 'business card' books, and I've been writing and revising and making plans. It is my hope, sometime before summer to become an actively and independently published writer.

My reasons for joining the AWWC is to make connections and friendships with other high quality writers (yes, I think I'm pretty good, just not terribly savvy) to trade beta reads, maybe find a writer buddy or two...basically find writers of substantial skill in my general boat who want feedback and are willing to give feedback that is more than warm thoughts and attaboys.

Genre. Most of my writing is either science fiction or fantasy, with occasional bits of mainstreamish magical realism...or whatever current term means generally literary but with light mystical bits. My most controversial story (for some) is this plus a touch of alternative history...basically a story set in a world where the mythos surrounding Gen. Robert E. Lee and the mythos of Santa Claus fell together. This was inspired by the similarity of the thin European Santa's riding horses with a picture of Lee astride his horse, Traveller...Lee for a moment just looked like Santa in a Confederate uniform, and I had to scratch that itch.

Background: Studied Art and English. Graduated with Honors in Creative Writing. Have one poem published in Relief No. 2. Had a story make the top ten favorite short stories for the year 2006 for the now defunct Infuze Journal, and currently have a few short/flash pieces up over on Quantum Muse, though it's been a while since I posted there.

Current projects:
The Wind Hath Heirs. YA dystopian with a twist. Since it's hard to afford much, I'm currently letting the public weigh in on it over on Amazon's WriteOn. The prologue and first three chapters are up, and a couple of more chapters will be posted soon. I have got about 50K words written so far, but I am finding the need for substantial edits before posting portions for comment.

Galenborn: A three to five season serial that is mostly a fantasy...though in the end it will have SF elements. I plan each season to consist of 5 to 7 novellas/novelletes of apx 17.5K to 20K words. The story turns on two interlocking premises, the first is the world is not uniformly fallen, second the story is set in what might be described as the universe of Hogwarts meets Gone With the Wind by way of Downton Abby (mages in hidden plantation style manor houses in the antebellum South). Current progress about 16K of a prologue mini-serial (4 volumes) that is intended as a free taste/mailing list builder/interest generator for the main series. Of that, I'm about 30K words into Season 2. Nothing yet for seasons 1 or 3 but some general ideas.

Apolytikion for Old Bones: A long short story about Russian Orthodox Monks colonizing Mars. It's had one significant vetting in the critique venue at Writer's Carnival, and needs some significant editing. The intent is to shop it first to OSC IGMS and then to other substantive SF markets if need be.

The Reef of Heaven: This is intended as a giant, sprawling far, far future milieux in which a number of novels and short stories can be written. At present I've three or four short stories and an early map for about three novels at present. This is the 20 year project that I need to get to if it is ever to be done while I still draw breath. The core premise is that we found the universe basically empty, but for us (what are the odds), and as we moved out into the stars we uplifted a number of other earth creatures along the way. Millennia later cultures collide and man is thought extinct for a very long time...until one day when it is discovered that he is not. That's the background against which everything else plays out.

That's probably way more than enough for an introduction, and now you know why I have major edits to Apolytikion for Old Bones...I tend to wax long and verbose if I don't watch myself.

I look forward to getting to know everyone, and contributing to the community.

Last edited:

falconxhummingbird

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Welcome! :Hug2:

Background: Studied Art and English. Graduated with Honors in Creative Writing. Have one poem published in Relief No. 2. Had a story make the top ten favorite short stories for the year 2006 for the now defunct Infuze Journal, and currently have a few short/flash pieces up over on Quantum Muse, though it's been a while since I posted there.

That's great! It truly is! Perhaps with all those credentials, finding an agent - or even a publisher should be just fine! Especially if your books are as good as they sound. Sure, publishers and agents are challenging to come by. Well, more than a little challenging.But you seem like a guy with your head screwed on right.

Good luck! :hi:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also old
old-300.gif
and poor, an English honors graduate. You had me for a lifelong writer friend until this line:

to make connections and friendships with other high quality writers

But :welcome: anyway. :D

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I did read the newbie faqs and a couple of others while waiting for account activation. I look forward to the learning, participation, and growth opportunities afforded by this forum community.

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry the line didn't sit well with you. No offense was intended to anyone. I came here expecting to find more seasoned and experienced writers to interact with, and that is still my hope. We learn by rising to a challenge, and I am looking for challenge.

In retrospect that "other" might strike one as a bit too hubristic. But as for the statement itself, I have to quote Will Sonnet, "No brag. Just fact." I am a novice when it comes to publishing and that world, but not so with writing. I do think I'm pretty good, and I believe I can back up that claim. When the time comes that I'm allowed to offer my own works here for critique, I invite you to disabuse me of my conceit. I would welcome it. I want my stories to be able to swim with sharks and emerge with a souvenir shark tooth necklace. If they can't, they need work...but the only way I will know is with the help of honest sharks in the tank.

In the meantime, please read my comments on various topics here, read my critiques, and permit me the opportunity to win back your good favor and friendship.

Thank you for your kind welcome.

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
@Thehairymob, Chase, Regdog, and Falconxhuqmingbird: Thank you all for your kind welcome. Hope to see you on the boards.

Last edited:

Paragraphic

Word eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I think you'll find the community you're looking for on this site. There are some very experienced members here and I know that I've really enjoyed reading their advice.

I look forward to seeing you around!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only joshin', Rwhegwood:flag:. Nothing offensive about healthy self-assurance. Plus, anyone who recalls The Guns of Will Sonnet well enough to quote the title character's favorite line is okay in my book. Easily my favorite TV western of the '60s. :guns:

Good luck in "Share Your Work." They're a helpful lot. This reminds me that I owe some critiques there for great helps with a short story.