• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Read for Short Story (8,500)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrieke

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, I've got a short story that I'd like beta-read. Here are the details:

• Genre: fiction/crime/suspense
  • Feedback: I can take harsh criticism. In fact, I tend to prefer it, when quantified, I find that it is most helpful. I'd like you to read and evaluate the story without any "hints" beforehand from me. I would really like as in-depth feedback as you can provide, but I will accept anything you have the time for :)
  • Publishing/credentials: I don't know about publishing, and as far as credentials are concerned, I don't have any preferences. I'll be grateful for anyone willing to read.

If you're interested in it and would like to start reading, let me know and I'll shoot it your way. If you start reading and find that it's not your cup of tea, that's fine (though I'd appreciate an explanation). If you have any questions about stuff I missed, feel free to PM me or reply here. I'll be checking daily, at least. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like something I might be interested in. What do you plan to do with this story?

shrieke

Registered
Reaction score
After having it read over by some beta readers and friends and getting more feedback, I'm going to refine it, and then I'd like to see if I can get it published. I'd like to hear what people who haven't read it think, now that it's finished (I've had a core group of friends/professors who've edited for me along the way). Shall I PM you a link to the file? Thanks for your interest :D

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Get it published, like in a magazine?

I guess my main thought was that my publishing experience is kind of limited, but from what I've seen there are a lot of magazines that have short story cutoff points at about 7500 words. So I was wondering if you were looking to cut it or had some markets in mind that do like stories that long.

shrieke

Registered
Reaction score
I have zero experience with publishing, so that's some helpful info. I don't think I could cut 1,000 words, but that's probably because I've been looking at it for a long time. Everything starts to seem set in stone now, which is part of the reason I'm looking for a beta reader. I need some new eyes ;)

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, I've got to say, crime/suspense is not a genre I usually read but I can definitely give it a look over if you want to send it.

Status
Not open for further replies.