What are you reading?

thehundreds

Registered
Reaction score
Gonna crack into "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk" by Ben Fountain after I read the newest New Yorker I just got in. Only heard glowing reviews, so expectations are running high!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After a break to read some fun stuff (Tom Perrotta's Election, for example) I'm back into Roots by Alex Haley.

tarawriter

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Me Before You by JoJo Moyes. It was brilliant, but boy did it tug on the old heart strings.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
'The Pillars of the Earth' Ken Follett.

Someone recommended it to me, not been overly impressed so far, kinda predictable. Plenty left to go, though.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Finally reading Game of Thrones, book 1. And LOVING IT! Which is crazy because it's not my normal thing. But I surprised myself by enjoying the HBO series (we buy the DVDs and don't have HBO), so I thought I'd give the books a shot.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer.

It's not what I thought it would be, which is a good thing. I'm a non-fiction nut and this is a solid bit of piecing the MC's life together. The three or four filler chapters aren't badly written, they just don't need to be in this book.

ETA: Oh, and Roots is bogging down again, hence the detour, and shooting for 30K words on the novel this month, so this will probably be it for a while!

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Forgery and Counterforgery: The Use of Literary Deceit in Early Christian Polemics, Bart D. Ehrman. Kindle edition. Dense, scholarly, and inconveniently for me, laced with untranslated Greek, but still worthwhile. Fascinating stuff.

--Ken

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading Walter Jon William's City on Fire. I loved Metropolitan (after spending months tracking it down) and I have to say I'm struggling with this one. Much longer and it takes ages for anything to happen.

Reading the Maze Runner series next :)

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Reading Persausion by Jane Austen for my lit. class. I think I have mentioned this before on this thread, but I really don't like Jane Austen. This is my last book I have to read for the class. Thank the Lord.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Leftovers - Tom Perrotta

Yeah, gave up on Roots (again!)

pernickety

Registered
Reaction score
Reading Persausion by Jane Austen for my lit. class. I think I have mentioned this before on this thread, but I really don't like Jane Austen. This is my last book I have to read for the class. Thank the Lord.

Me neither, I thought I was the only one. There was some line in Persuasion (I think) where Anne was given a lift in a carriage and then 'they put Anne down'. I laughed, imagining them shooting her like a dog...

I'm reading 'Guernica' by Dave Boling and '11.22.63' by Stephen King (taking me ages but loving it)

Tnonk

Registered
Reaction score
I finished Patrick Lee's Breach Trilogy with a reread of 'Ghost Country' and the final book of the trilogy 'Deep Sky'.
Currently reading 'The Ark' by Boyd Morrison

Adrian