How to Identify Passive Voice - picture

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand why passive sentences can be confusing for some people. They are taught the whole "was" and "by" thing, and just when they're getting a handle on it, they encounter a sentence like:

Joe was tired by noon.

Goodness gracious, that's the same structure as "The ball was thrown by Joe," which is passive. So "Joe was tired by noon" should be passive too, right?

Uh no . . .

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
With all due respect, Bufty, you need to quit telling people what they can post. You're not a mod in charge here. So knock it off. You're discouraging participation and stymying discussion in this forum.

You've got a lot to offer in way of knowledge. Focus on that instead.

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
With all due respect, Ken, you are not a mod here either.

I am.

I don't see Bufty telling people what they can post. I think that "humph" was an...infelicitous description, but I also think that escalating from that moment was (and continues to be) wildly inappropriate. There are a number of people in this thread who, while their comments have not been deleted, have failed to impress me with their constructive spirit in the conversation.

There is a "report post" button. I expect people here to use that if they feel that a comment is problematic rather than bickering at one another on-thread.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I can understand why passive sentences can be confusing for some people. They are taught the whole "was" and "by" thing, and just when they're getting a handle on it, they encounter a sentence like:

Joe was tired by noon.

Goodness gracious, that's the same structure as "The ball was thrown by Joe," which is passive. So "Joe was tired by noon" should be passive too, right?

Uh no . . .

It's really not that confusing. "Object" was done to "by subject" is by far the most common form of passive construction. In your second example, "noon" is neither object nor subject.

I think most people are misled by having, somewhere, been given the erroneous information that "to be" verb forms are inherently passive. At least that's what crops up here in every "what is passive voice" thread I've ever seen.

Any decent grammar/style guide will explain this matter clearly, usually with good examples. It really isn't as abstruse as cosmological physics.

caw

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
It's really not that confusing. "Object" was done to "by subject" is by far the most common form of passive construction. In your second example, "noon" is neither object nor subject.

Yes, James. My intention was to show that the noun-was-verbed-by-noun combination doesn't always signify a passive sentence, and applying that as a test can sometimes fail, which muddies the waters for people trying to figure it all out.

Ain't language fun?

Susan Anwin

deep blue electric angel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
susananwin.net
not sure where to put a question about a passive sentence, so im giving it a go in this thread;
this sentence "His attention was engaged..." is it correct this way? or what do you use? 'taken?' His attention was taken? grabbed? what?
thanks for any replies

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
not sure where to put a question about a passive sentence, so im giving it a go in this thread;
this sentence "His attention was engaged..." is it correct this way? or what do you use? 'taken?' His attention was taken? grabbed? what?
thanks for any replies

That sentence is correct as written.

You probably should have started a new thread.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any of these word choices could work in a sentence beginning that way.

I'm not really sure what the issue is.

thanks for any replies

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
I've taught in the past and used the 'by zombies' trick for my freshmen to great effect. No, it's not foolproof, and yes, it's a silly gimmick, but it does one thing better than any specific and in-depth grammatical review will do: it gets a laugh in the classroom, it wakes them up to the lesson, and reminds them that passive voice is a thing to watch out for.

They may not remember all the details of transitive verbs when they sit down at the exam, but if even half of them have a moment of "right - zombies!" and it triggers a correct answer / sentence rewrite, it's worth it.

tl;dr: sometimes gimmicks are useful as mnemonics, even if they're not perfect.

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
I learned an amazing trick for seeing if a sentence is written in passive voice. At the end of the sentence, add "by zombies". If the sentences makes grammatical sense, then it's written in passive voice.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go directly to post #1 - Do not pass Go - Do not collect $200. :snoopy: :Hug2:

I learned an amazing trick for seeing if a sentence is written in passive voice. At the end of the sentence, add "by zombies". If the sentences makes grammatical sense, then it's written in passive voice.

Last edited:

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
So you can't have the same narration containing "He walked to the corner store and saw the most beautiful lump of pork" as well as "He had been drawn there by the powerful scent of bacon and was transported back to his childhood when his dad used to spank him so hard his ass smelled like fried pig" ?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of course you can.

If a deliberately constructed sentence says what you wish it to say - use it.

So you can't have the same narration containing "He walked to the corner store and saw the most beautiful lump of pork" as well as "He had been drawn there by the powerful scent of bacon and was transported back to his childhood when his dad used to spank him so hard his ass smelled like fried pig" ?