How Soon Into Your Novel Do You Make Sure You Have A Polished Ending?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Great posts!

Which is why I asked the question. I love the, sometimes, diametrically opposed approaches taken by writers to deal with this issue.
I have been repeatedly told that the ending makes or breaks the entire novel. And, over the years, I have come to agree with that statement.

I wanted a lively discussion from all of our fellow AWers, about how, coming from different backgrounds, they, in the end, deal with the serious issue of the crucial ending.

Whatever you believe, whatever your approach, the ending is crucial.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Great posts!

Which is why I asked the question. I love the, sometimes, diametrically opposed approaches taken by writers to deal with this issue.
I have been repeatedly told that the ending makes or breaks the entire novel. And, over the years, I have come to agree with that statement.

I wanted a lively discussion from all of our fellow AWers, about how, coming from different backgrounds, they, in the end, deal with the serious issue of the crucial ending.

Whatever you believe, whatever your approach, the ending is crucial.

I've always loved what Mickey Spillane said about this. He said, "The first chapter sells this novel, but the last chapter sells the next novel."

He was dead on right. A great ending is what makes a reader go out and buy your next novel.

Reaction score
I used to write as a gardener as opposed to an architect. I hated the very thought of writing even a character bio down because, it felt, to me, like cheating, somehow. But, I kept noticing how I was continually floundering. Then, one day, while flipping through the latest Writer's Market, I read an advisory of craft article, by some literary luminary, It might have been Joyce Carol Oates, who pointed out the efficiency and artistic control gained over a compelling plot when one utilizes an outline, that I decided to try it.

I did, and immediately noticed that I could look it all over again and again, and see the gaping holes immediately; could intensify or slow down multiple scenes related to each other in one organized go, as I didn't have to wade through mountains of narrative to find obscure plot points that needed to be tweaked.

Then I noticed that the time I used to spend at the keyboard staring blankly into the ceiling was immediately removed, for I had an idea of what came next, while, still not being rigidly tied to my suggested outline. I would veeer off with new characters, new subplots and new setting elements. The important point is, when I did stray and hit a dead end, I knew exactly what had happened and simply returned to the exact point of divergence.

I always had a solid direction.

I still felt that I was cheating at the writing process, and clung to a sense of dissatisfaction. But, I weighed the pros and cons of both ways, and decided that if I put two novels written by me before the public, featuring either method, for me, the novel which was carefully planned would be miles ahead better, over the other, where I just winged it.

I still wonder about writing as a gardener but have come to realize that I am no good at it.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
The idea of sitting down to write without knowing the ending damn near gives me a heart attack. I don't know how pantsers do it!

But everyone has their own methods, and I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who would feel stifled by the outlines I need. :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Completely dependent on the individual story. For me, there's no cookbook. Sometimes (as in my current WIDNOP*) I get an ending pretty quick, other times (as in my best BUPCOC**) I only stumble upon it as the story proceeds.

caw

*WIDNOP = Work In Desperate Need Of Progress

**BUPCOC = Best Unpublishable Completed Piece Of Crap

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
I've only written one full novel so far, in a series consisting of three total, but for the first I had the ending planned before I wrote it, alongside books 2 and 3. However, because the plot/subplots for 2 and 3 is so much vaguer in my mind than it was for 1, those endings could change. They're really more of a reference or a marker. A type of mental device to soothe my conscious, because otherwise I'd feel like I'd be writing blind without knowing the fate of my MC and the setting it takes place in.

Writing has a tendency to branch off and divert, as I'm sure we all know. I've experienced it a few times already and I expect the trend to undoubtedly continue. Especially when my mind keeps trying to formulate new scenarios for my characters.

Reaction score
For what I write, I never start a project without knowing the ending. And, not just any ending, one that could possibly stand out to a reader as being good. To me, no matter how good what has come before is, if the ending is lukewarm, then it deflates the previous experience. So, since I love trick endings and reversals, like O. Henry's and J. K. Rowling's, I have to know the internal workings of the plot and the ending, because my work is of the kind that does 360 degrees on the turn of a single word.

For a sampling of my style, think of Aesop, intelligent fairy tales like Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood, Edgar Allen Poe and influences like Sherlock Holmes. On this forum, I've been discouraged from writing trick endings, but, I think that I was misunderstood, for my work is logical fare, not cheap parlor tricks.

Has anyone ever read any version of, The Story of the Biter Bit?

My current project is book number two of a projected ten book fantasy series. I have shared here before and gotten varied responses. Many suggested that I publish book number one first and then wait to see if I should continue with the series.

Oh, so wrong!
I know that ten books will be written to complete the series.

I got a little buzz last weekend, when, I plotted the concluding book of the series. I achieved what I set out to achieve, which is a complete story arc of characters and a world that is alien and immersive with multiple cultures showcasing different personalities. I shared on this board before how I really wanted to complete the entire series responsibly, and I have succeeded in plotting the whole series to the very end.

I could never have winged it! Impossible! Impossible! Impossible!

My story model was to have every succeeding book end with a reversal. And, each succeeding book end with a raising of the stakes over the previous entry. So specific and intricate are the elements and their interweavings that the mind boggles at the possibility of the lack of an outline.

In book number ten, despite all valiant efforts, things go badly for the side of right, yet there is, at the very last second, a possible light at the end of the tunnel, because of a reference in book one.
I had to know who all of the traitors are in each book, some time before. There are many double agents who are constantly working their evil, so I had to know their identities and what deeds taken to be accidents and coincidences were actually attributable to them. There are spies that keep changing sides according to who pays most, moles which are deeply embedded which I needed to know, and, Secret Societies, whose members I needed to be familiar with.

Am I tied down to this outline?
Not at all!
Things can go any where, but, the all important ending of epic scope is clearly within sight, and can be readjusted in any number of ways, yet, holding to its place as the powerful termination of a maturing throughline over ten books.

I have to say this, I couldn't write two hundred words a day sometimes, because I continually sat back studying the ceiling trying to find out where to go next. Now, I have reached up to 7000 words in one day, and it climbs if I never edit.

This thing has freed me up to commit to the narrative more words daily. I sincerely believe that I can finish a first draft of each in two months.

Last edited:

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
For what I write, I never start a project without knowing the ending. And, not just any ending, one that could possibly stand out to a reader as being good. To me, no matter how good what has come before is, if the ending is lukewarm, then it deflates the previous experience. So, since I love trick endings and reversals, like O. Henry's and J. K. Rowling's, I have to know the internal workings of the plot and the ending, because my work is of the kind that does 360 degrees on the turn of a single word.

For a sampling of my style, think of Aesop, intelligent fairy tales like Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood, Edgar Allen Poe and influences like Sherlock Holmes. On this forum, I've been discouraged from writing trick endings, but, I think that I was misunderstood, for my work is logical fare, not cheap parlor tricks.

Has anyone ever read any version of, The Story of the Biter Bit?

My current project is book number two of a projected ten book fantasy series. I have shared here before and gotten varied responses. Many suggested that I publish book number one first and then wait to see if I should continue with the series.

Oh, so wrong!
I know that ten books will be written to complete the series.

I got a little buzz last weekend, when, I plotted the concluding book of the series. I achieved what I set out to achieve, which is a complete story arc of characters and a world that is alien and immersive with multiple cultures showcasing different personalities. I shared on this board before how I really wanted to complete the entire series responsibly, and I have succeeded in plotting the whole series to the very end.

I could never have winged it! Impossible! Impossible! Impossible!

My story model was to have every succeeding book end with a reversal. And, each succeeding book end with a raising of the stakes over the previous entry. So specific and intricate are the elements and their interweavings that the mind boggles at the possibility of the lack of an outline.

In book number ten, despite all valiant efforts, things go badly for the side of right, yet there is, at the very last second, a possible light at the end of the tunnel, because of a reference in book one.
I had to know who all of the traitors are in each book, some time before. There are many double agents who are constantly working their evil, so I had to know their identities and what deeds taken to be accidents and coincidences were actually attributable to them. There are spies that keep changing sides according to who pays most, moles which are deeply embedded which I needed to know, and, Secret Societies, whose members I needed to be familiar with.

Am I tied down to this outline?
Not at all!
Things can go any where, but, the all important ending of epic scope is clearly within sight, and can be readjusted in any number of ways, yet, holding to its place as the powerful termination of a maturing throughline over ten books.

I have to say this, I couldn't write two hundred words a day sometimes, because I continually sat back studying the ceiling trying to find out where to go next. Now, I have reached up to 7000 words in one day, and it climbs if I never edit.

This thing has freed me up to commit to the narrative more words daily. I sincerely believe that I can finish a first draft of each in two months.

Cool, write what you want, though I'd advise completing book ten before approaching a commercial publisher.

However, even in your case I'd argue that you don't have a polished ending. You may have it worked out, but you probably won't polish it until you're done.

Reaction score
I sincerely believe that JK Rowling achieved her master pieces because of plotting all seven of the series early. It frees one up to get even more creative without losing all logic.

Please note: plotting multiple connected books ahead of time does not mean jotting down every word of dialogue or character description ahead of time.
Please see JK Rowling's spreadsheet online featuring a small part for The Order of the Phoenix.

Individual boxes contain phrases like:
Plots and Resistance.
Rita Returns.
The Order of the Phoenix.
The Dirtiest Tackle.

Just sharing so that others on this board can see that it can be done.

Again, Yes!
You can plot an entire series ahead of time and not necessarily just the limit of ten books.

Reaction score
Cool, write what you want, though I'd advise completing book ten before approaching a commercial publisher.

However, even in your case I'd argue that you don't have a polished ending. You may have it worked out, but you probably won't polish it until you're done.

Exactly!

And, that is how it is supposed to be!

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Of course it can be done.

But there's more than one way to write a book or a series of books. I'm glad you've found your method.

But don't be too shocked if other people have other methods! :)

Reaction score
Wait, the ending is supposed to be polished? :eek:

Dammit, back to the draw... er... writing board. :gone:

I am not sure whether you are being serious or not. But, if you are, how did you come up with your ending? Are you happy with it? If not, please share the reasons why you believe it needs further work. I am just expanding my knowledge base.

Status
Not open for further replies.