Writing fight scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Bernard Cornwell writes fantastic fight and battle scenes. And he sometimes uses long, flowing, run-on sentences. Works beautifully, because it gives a sense of breathless, one-thing-happening-after-another action. His latest book, The Pagan Lord, has a big fight scene at the end, and the climax of that sequence was written as a single sentence, probably over a hundred words long. It was very easy to follow and just brilliantly done.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Re the phrase I've highlighted below - therein lies the skill.

=BethS;8923560]Bernard Cornwell writes fantastic fight and battle scenes. And he sometimes uses long, flowing, run-on sentences. Works beautifully, because it gives a sense of breathless, one-thing-happening-after action. His latest book, The Pagan Lord, has a big fight scene at the end, and the climax of that sequence was written as a single sentence, probably over a hundred words long. It was very easy to follow and just brilliantly done.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Bernard Cornwell writes fantastic fight and battle scenes. And he sometimes uses long, flowing, run-on sentences. Works beautifully, because it gives a sense of breathless, one-thing-happening-after action. His latest book, The Pagan Lord, has a big fight scene at the end, and the climax of that sequence was written as a single sentence, probably over a hundred words long. It was very easy to follow and just brilliantly done.

Thanks for this reference.

Lindie_D

Registered
Reaction score
I don't write many, but my latest story had a MC who likes to rumble. Being that he's a trained fighter, and a man of few words and fast actions, the fights are all quick and brutal. He wants to do the maximum damage in the shortest amount of time, minimizing risk to himself.

My process is basically:
- Decide the outcome of the fight
- Research the best moves to get from zero to incapacitated
- Forego poetry and get it done

A different character might require a different method. I imagine a fencer would spare more thought on form and grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.