How Soon Into Your Novel Do You Make Sure You Have A Polished Ending?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
I personally have a general idea of the ending before I ever start writing. If I don't know where the story is going it's too hard for me to sit down and start it.

But a "polished" ending? Not until I get there.

But keep in mind this is one of those things that is likely to vary for everyone, just as the amount of outlining varies, etc.

Jim Riley

Louisiana: Sportsman's Paradise
Registered
Reaction score
I try to have a clue before I finish the last chapter. Up til then, anything is possible.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! Knowing how brilliant you guys are on this forum, I just spend my nights reading your illuminating posts. You have given me such fantastic feedback and, please accept my thanks for just wanting to be helpful!

How quickly after penning the opening lines, does it become urgent to you to have a polished ending? Not necessarily written down, but, shaped and finalized in your head?

When I actually write the ending. I don't have a clue how the novel will end until I get there, and wouldn't want to know. But even if you do know, how can you possibly polish until you've actually written what comes before it? Even very few outlines are set in that kind of concrete.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
. Is it not true, though, that the pantster, is not far removed from the outliner, in that the pantster, does at least outline a little bit in her head and holds it there until she gets the job done?

Call it what you will. A feel for the story. A general instinct for the theme. There is some form of organization present in the writer's mind based on previous experience with the way her story could possibly end.

No, it is not true. It is not even remotely true. I have not the faintest idea what is going to happen on the next page until I actually write it. I outline not one word in my head, and I never, ever plot.

Nothing about how I write is based on previous experience because I've written exactly this way since the very first story.

When is true is that those who outline do not understand how those of us who don't outline write, and they too often try to make it seem we somehow use their methods, but in our heads, rather than writing them down.

But the answer is, no, no, and no. I write by looking back at what I've already written, never, ever by looking ahead to what I have yet to write.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Knowing the ending and having a polished ending are totally separate for me. I have to know the ending before I start writing. I can't do it any other way. But the polishing comes after. Also I write strictly linearly, from beginning to end, so the actual ending is the last thing I'll write.

(And I have changed the ending before when I got there, but usually it is close to what I first planned.)

Reaction score
Disagree entirely.

I have had a 'possible ending' in mind several times as I write my (long) short stories. And then, bang, someone says or does something that makes me turn 90 degrees east or west - and away from that possible ending. I love it when that happens. I love it when the characters or the situation throws me for a loop and I'm bang! No way is that who did it, or how they did it, but the story is saying yes, Ma'am, sorry to disappoint you.

Now I have met people, writers and not, who have told me not possible, it doesn't happen, I don't believe you.

I really don't care if they believe me or not, because I know it happens, and I know it happens to other writers. Maybe not all writers, but some of them. But like I said, love it when it happens to me.

I totally believe you! And feel that that's a great thing!

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I write by looking back at what I've already written, never, ever by looking ahead to what I have yet to write.

The ending should come out of what has happened before. So pantsers have no disadvantage here -- we all get to the end when we do, and have what has happened up till now. The trick is tying it all together.

Reaction score
When I actually write the ending. I don't have a clue how the novel will end until I get there, and wouldn't want to know. But even if you do know, how can you possibly polish until you've actually written what comes before it? Even very few outlines are set in that kind of concrete.

So sorry! My mistake. I used the word "polished", when I should have used a term like "fleshed out." I do know for a fact that the exact wording could not be nailed down until one gets there. Not to mention the amount of tweaking and rearrangement of story elements. Sorry, I seem to be sticking my foot into my mouth a lot today.

Thank you for the lively input!

Reaction score
Not necessarily. I've written things where the only thing I've had in my head is a single image, and everything else has just come from that. Very little idea of ending, very little idea of middle, just a single image and no idea where in teh story it belongs.

See?
I found that very helpful. The way that I understand things is not necessarily the best way. I will be sure to keep that at the forefront always.

I also appreciated what jamesaritchie had to add to this. He has never in his career ever begun knowing what he is going to write next.

Great posts!

Ailsa

Registered
Reaction score
When I start, I have the general ending in mind. That gives me something to work toward. But it isn't polished until after I finish the story.

I always know how I want to end my stories, but the polishing doesn't happen until I've after I've finished writing them.

These are what I do. I have an idea of things to work towards, and I need that in order to be able to get very far in to the story. But what I'd call a 'polished ending' doesn't exist until the same time the rest of the story is 'polished' - that is, after several rounds of revision.

Last edited:

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I'm going to throw another two cents in here - I have a lot of respect for outliners. I really do. They do a lot of work to get where they want and for many writers, that planning pays off in a fine finished product. My best friend (from when I worked) does this and just got a two-book contract with an indie publisher. So hat's off to her.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Depends on the story.

Sometimes I have a fairly clear idea of how a story ends. Other times, I have no clue.

Even with romance, where I *know* that the two MCs will end up together, sometimes I have absolutely no idea how they're going to manage that. (Like in the novel I'm working on. Even though I've outlined it.)

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I know the ending when I know the ending.

I often start with just an idea - characters doing something - and start writing from there. I usually outline later, but I don't start with one.

There really is no wrong answer, just a right for you and wrong for you answer (and that might change depending on the project).

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
I had a creative writing prof who said, "if you don't know where you're going, how are you going to get there?

I don't necessary adhere to that approach though.

I'm still trying to find my way as a novelist so I don't as yet have a set way of writing. It naturally goes wherever my muse takes me. Problem there is it's a hyperactive muse that takes me all over creation and back again. I have far too much jammed into one story.

I'm currently trying to tame that seductive muse with a more structured approach. That said, I kinda, sorta, but not really know what the ending will be. I have different versions so I'll choose whichever fits better. I think it's a case where the ending will choose itself. I'm rewriting the middle of the story, so it depends on which fits better.

To put it another way, the story searches for an ending that best fits into it's glass slippers.

GraemeTollins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tollins.blogspot.de
I usually know the first and last scenes before I begin to write. I know why it ends that way, and my challenge is to find out how to get from A to B.

As for polished, that happens when everything else is polished, give or take.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
I'm writing a story at the moment - currently I'm about 20,000 words into it. I have identified five possible endings so far, and have no idea which one (if any) will make the most sense when I get there.

This might be my favourite thing about writing.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I usually have visualized the climax, or some aspect of it, pretty early on. I usually don't know the ending scene, though, until I get there.

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
There is absolutely not one right way to do it. The "right way" is whatever way results in a draft you can do something with. It can take some experimenting to figure out the best way for you.

The best way for me is to know the climax and closing before I start writing. Usually I'll have a pretty clear vision of the first few scenes; they just jump into my head as soon as I start thinking about the story. Experience has taught me that for me, it's a mistake to plunge into the writing until I've worked out the plot arc and have a very detailed outline of my "key scenes"-- including the ending. When I pants it, I either stall out after 2-3 chapters (because I have no idea where to take the story next), or I wind up with a first draft so hopelessly muddled as to be unusable.

I think I just don't have a good instinctive feel for plot the way some writers do, and since I write in a genre that needs a strong plot, I need to be more systematic about creating it.

TheWordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
When I conceive the idea for the story, the ending is part of that concept. The thought process goes something like, "Oh! How about a guy who... and he... and then..."

So, essentially, I know the beginning, the process, and the ending before I begin. Now, I don't have all of the fine details, of course, but I do know my MC and his dilemma and what he has to do to resolve said dilemma.

As far as having a 'polished' ending? That comes after I have completed the first draft, and, usually, the second, third and, the "OMFG how many times do I have to rewrite this to get it right?" drafts.

The polish, I always save until after I've finished wading through the muck. Sort of like a good pair of shoes. You don't polish them if you know you're just going back out into the mud, you wait until the rain is over.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
My idea of an ending is:

They win! La! :hooray:

You'll not that no where in there did I say who wins. While I'm an outliner, that ending is about as much as I have for an ending for the plot.

For character growth/character arc, I have a much better idea of what I where I want the character to have grown/matured to emotionally.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Wait, the ending is supposed to be polished? :eek:

Dammit, back to the draw... er... writing board. :gone:

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Before I write the first word. First, I know the end. Then I know the beginning. It's getting from one end to the other that causes the hair pulling.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The ending should come out of what has happened before. So pantsers have no disadvantage here -- we all get to the end when we do, and have what has happened up till now. The trick is tying it all together.

Other than simply trying to write as well as possible, tying it together is where I concentrate almost all of my effort. It's why I look back, rather than forward. The page I'm writing at the moment has to tie in perfectly with everything that's gone before. If I start looking forward at all, tying it all together gets much more complicated, and this is where rewrites and revisions happen. I'd rather avoid that.

Status
Not open for further replies.