Status
Not open for further replies.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
We used to have the 'first paragraph of your current novel' thread, which I thought was a great way to share what we're all working on. It was non-critique, just for fun. Would anyone like to do that again? It can be more than one paragraph, but going past, say, three would be pushing it into SYW territory. Anyone interested?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You could always just go find the original thread and add to it.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
I did and it's locked. People were starting to critique and get nasty about it. Like, evil kitties with no Fancy Feast in the morning, nasty.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Weeeellll - just wondering what the point of such a thread would be... If you are not looking for feedback (aka critique) what is the point of posting? Sorry if that sounds nasty, honestly, I really am just wondering what one hopes to get from posting in such a thread.

TheThingsSheWrote

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like a fun thread to start, but... if the original thread ended up in nastiness, I can only imagine that a second thread would eventually follow suit, don't you think? You can't take a bunch of really invested people who love getting better at their craft and helping others get better, and tell them that they can't do exactly that. They'll be grumpy ;p

There are threads such as "Share your favorite line." Perhaps expand it to share your favorite paragraph you've written? If it happens to be the first, fantastic, but it doesn't have to be.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Is there a thread for opening paragraphs that allows critique? We all know how important that book opening is. My be a good way to brush them up, if it doesn't already exist.

TheThingsSheWrote

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a thread for opening paragraphs that allows critique? We all know how important that book opening is. My be a good way to brush them up, if it doesn't already exist.

We have one for the first three sentences. Not for opening paragraphs. Wouldn't that fall more in the SYW section?

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Some of the genre subforums have them.

In SYW, the Science Fiction/Fantasy and Romance/Women's Fiction subforums have 'hook me in 200 words or less'. Didn't notice whether any of the others did but those who post there are asking for a critique of their opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.