JRHardesty

Journeyman Harper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lindensaga.blogspot.com
A few things that irk me no end:

1. pwned - WTH????
2. on-going - Whatever happened to the various forms of 'continue', i. e. continuing?????? "This research project is on-going." So, the research continues, does it not? The term is horribly over-used. aaaaaaaaarrrggghhh!
3. it's a man/woman thing - *grinds teeth* This just makes me want to punch the person saying it. *snort*
4. way, as in: "No way!" "Way!" Shoot them. Firing squad at noon.

Any more and I'll need defib.

-- Richard, on half of J. R. Hardesty

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A few things that irk me no end:

1. pwned - WTH????
That's a really dated word and I didn't think anyone still used it, but it originated from a misspelling of "owned" (as in defeated) in a video game called Warcraft, I believe.

My kids say "You got Shrecked" which means "wrecked, but with more ogre." I still think that one is funny, but I'll report to this thread when it starts to annoy me.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sick, Sick, SICK of It!!!

"Wheelhouse" :rant:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
blow up-referring to repeatedly calling someone
27/7

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
rom com

Excuse me, what you are talking about is a romantic comedy

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Someone saying "dayum" -- meaning, of course, "damn" -- when she or he is enthralled, or in awe, or in some state of wonderment. The word always expresses strong feelings, so I guess it should actually be "Dayum!" I've heard people say it at the end of a great movie, a great TV show, a great concert, etc.

Actually I love "dayum!" and I say it all the time! :)

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Actually I love "dayum!" and I say it all the time! :)

:mob:

Have I mentioned this one (pretty much guaranteed to elicit rotten tomatoes hurled at my head)?

I hate the word "mommy" when used by someone who is not a small child or speaking to a small child.

DadofSnorf

Registered
Reaction score
I hear a lot of phrases in California that I think are really stupid.

Bomb is one. My wife has started saying it now. I have to save our daughter.

I also hate the word "mad," as in, "that was mad cray, yo."

What drives me up the wall the most, though, is when people just purposely mispronounce things for the sake of being cool. Like "I'm gonna drank that shit." Or "Sprang Break." Crap like that.

my workout levels in order....

1. conversational
2. easy
3. getting some work done
4. beast mode

and finally,....

5. barf mode <--- that's the highest.

:idea: actually, there is one other level that i've achieved.
it's called,

the medical tent

best to avoid that one.

I have achieved all of those. When I hit the medical tent, it was the culmination of the other 4. What got you there? It was my first marathon. I'm doing a half in a couple weeks, and I'm expecting a repeat performance. Hopefully without the tent this time.

I tend to barf when I run really hard. That's pretty much the only thing that will do it, although I have felt that way after some especially terrible (in a good way) WODs.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I threw up at the end of a half-marathon once -- my best one. Usually I don't push myself quite that hard (I'm athletic, but not particularly competitive as a rule). And it was a very hot, humid day.

I ended up in the medical tent with hypothermia after my second marathon. On a day in the 60s. Note to self: no matter how overheated you feel at the end of your marathon, you need that shiny silver blanket.

Last edited:

DadofSnorf

Registered
Reaction score
I threw up at the end of a half-marathon once -- my best one. Usually I don't push myself quite that hard (I'm athletic, but not particularly competitive as a rule). And it was a very hot, humid day.

I ended up in the medical tent with hypothermia after my second marathon. On a day in the 60s. Note to self: no matter how overheated you feel at the end of your marathon, you need that shiny silver blanket.

Yes indeedy. I threw up after my first because I went out way faster than I planned to, and then I proceeded to fight desperately to hang on. I also didn't hydrate super great, and I didn't really eat anything. Bad juju.

I yakked twice about 5 minutes after finishing, then went to the medical tent for some Gatorade, but of course they didn't have any. So I drank some water, and then threw up again and walked back to our team's rally point where there was supposed to be Gatorade. And of course there wasn't. :/

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
you realize that everyone in this thread who doesn't race thinks we're insane.

welcome to AW, fellow runner, and to this silly thread.

DadofSnorf

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I know. Only two other people in my family race, and one is my wife. Everyone else thinks I'm crazy. It gets worse when I tell them that half the reason I do the races is for the t-shirt.

Thanks!

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Don't make me lavern you, Lavern.

Thurmadir

Registered
Reaction score
I think "My bad" has outlived its novelty, yet I still have to stop myself on occasion from saying it. "Oh snap" is a runner up.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Thurmadir!

I've been sick of "oh snap" since the first time I heard it.