Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Try it and find out. Then get back to us, when you return from the Wool Dimension. ;)

Guys.

sheep1_zpsbbf4b314.jpg

Guys, there-

sheep2_zps9dd7614c.jpg

There're sheep. And sheep... things...

sheep4_zps61a29209.png

Everywhere.

sheep8_zps1a9e742b.jpg

They just...

sheep3_zpsfee334b9.jpg

They just keep coming.

sheep7_zpsb20cc044.jpg

Oh god, what have I done?

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
So, this guy knocks on the door, introduces himself as a financial planner who is opening an office nearby, hands me a brochure and asks me who manages our finances.

I tell him we're doing fine on our own. He talks a bit about how he retired from the marines and now he loves having a job where he gets to go out and meet people. I tell him I prefer a career where I get to be left alone.

He says "Hey, if you like to be inside, I'm hiring an office administrator who would just, like, answer phones and set meetings. Think you'd be interested?"

Why? You've known me for all of a minute, and you're trying to hire me as your SECRETARY? Because I've got tits I must be looking for low-paying office drudgery work?

I said "I'm a corporate financial analyst. You can't afford me."

I threw his pamphlet away.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
So, this guy knocks on the door, introduces himself as a financial planner...

I said "I'm a corporate financial analyst. You can't afford me."

I threw his pamphlet away.

:roll:

Way to go Myrealana!

What is it about this time of year that people just show up at your door, or outside your car ... to sell/pawn-off/annoy others???

My 'holiday invasion' is not as bad, but every year the neighbor comes by with a huge plate of goodies. This person doesn't talk to me all year, or even wave, but on Christmas day they/their family inevitably show up and ring the bell -- with a plate that says in big letters on the bottom "Decorative used ONLY, this plate is not for food or consumption, do not put any edible item or food-stuff on surface. If food makes contact with plastic do not eat it as chemicals are transferable"...

:e2smack: :gaah :e2zipped:

Last edited:

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
We're not far from a Kingdom Hall, so it's matched sets of Jehova's Witnesses here, all the time. The younger women and grandma types I don't mind so much, but I was home sick last week with the raging headcold from hell. There's a knock at the door, and since we've been getting boxes in the mail practically every day this week, I struggled out of my blanket cocoon on the couch to open it.

Standing there are two stern older men looking like a cross between Angry Daddy Warbucks and morticians, standing there holding bibles and pamphlets, and staring at my be-ponytailed sweats-and-tshirt wearing self like I was an alien. Or Swamp Thing. Which is about how I felt, red nose and tissue box under my arm and all.

"Have you heard the good news?"

It may send me straight to hell, but I closed the door in their faces. I just couldn't cope. I've probably ended up on their "Desperately needs saving" list for the next round. :ROFL:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I used to engage with the JWs who showed up, but it got old, fast.

I do sometimes enjoy the Mormon missionaries. One evening, they showed up while I was repairing the fence and instead of converting me, they just rolled up their sleeves and helped. Nice boys.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Well that was nice of them, Myrea. Hopefully they'll leave you alone, Tess. Sorry you were sick. :(

I can't remember a time when we got JWs knocking. If we have, Mr. Maxwell's been the one to handle them.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of JWs -- it is kind of funny to watch them try to get to the people in the house across the street, as the neighbors have enclosed both front and back yard with a 7ft block wall and steel gates (it's like one big privacy courtyard around the house).

The only way in or out of the house otherwise is the garage door (situated right between the two privacy walls with iron gates) and their garage door has no windows. So the JW go from one gate to the other, then look at the garage door and finally give up and walk back up or down the street toward the other houses.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite JW story happened when I was pregnant with my first child. I'd ignored them many times, but finally opened the door when they happened to knock just as I was trying to leave, so I had to deal with them. They did their opening lines and I replied I wasn't interested. They asked why. "I'm very happy being a Pagan."

"But what about your unborn child?"

"Where do you think we get the virgin sacrifices?" and I shut the door in their faces.

They never came back. It was sweet.

We soon got a sign for the front door that said: "No solicitation of any kind" from the coop office. That coop was very good about prosecuting people who didn't pay attention to their signs.

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
Hah, DL! I love it! An old friend of mine had a similar story, except he's a 6'+ bald guy who plays in the SCA -- and he grabbed his Viking ax on his way to the door.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite JW story happened when I was pregnant with my first child. I'd ignored them many times, but finally opened the door when they happened to knock just as I was trying to leave, so I had to deal with them. They did their opening lines and I replied I wasn't interested. They asked why. "I'm very happy being a Pagan."

"But what about your unborn child?"

"Where do you think we get the virgin sacrifices?" and I shut the door in their faces.

They never came back. It was sweet.

:roll: That's terrible and terribly funny at the same moment!

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
Cinnamon buns and swedish rings are in the pans and rising. The place is starting to smell like yum.

(Yes, I'm Jewish, but my dad's side is Finn Lutheran and I absorbed some of their traditions. Like cinnamon buns made with cardamom for Christmas morning. I'm not about to let religious differences stand in the way of a good nosh.)

Merry Christmas to all who are celebrating, and a lovely stress-free evening with libations of choice to those who aren't!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I cannot wait for tomorrow and Christmas-clearance! :D

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reconsidering my habit of volunteering to work 8-10 hours on Christmas. Today was SO bad, I came home ready to quit and nuke the entire place. Coworkers who refused to do needed things. Customers who were rude, demanding pigs. I'm going to eat dinner and then go kill people for several hours. Need to look through my weapon choices and see what will be the most evil fun.

Thankfully, it's all video games, but I'm going to name them tonight and get some of this out of my system before I have to go back tomorrow. The manager and I are going to have a SERIOUS talk tomorrow.

I seriously don't want to be job hunting again, but this cannot happen again.

Hope everyone's day was much better.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reconsidering my habit of volunteering to work 8-10 hours on Christmas. ...The manager and I are going to have a SERIOUS talk tomorrow.

I seriously don't want to be job hunting again, but this cannot happen again.

Hope everyone's day was much better.

I hope things go well with the talk, so sorry you has such a horrible day. -hugs-

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
We spent the afternoon and evening of Christmas day cooking and serving the community dinner for my parents' church.

They feed the hungry on the 4th Thursday of every month, and that fell on Christmas, so this year, it was Christmas dinner.

We cooked ham, green beans, mashed potatoes and cookies for 60.

Unfortunately, the blizzard started at about 4:00, and only about 6 homeless guys showed up. We fed them, and they were grateful. We packed them each a big bag of leftovers.

My kids are good kids. Sometimes, I forget, with how much they bicker at each other, but they poured drinks and washed dishes and never complained. In fact, the younger one (12) asked if we could do that every year, because it was the best Christmas ever.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice way to spend Christmas, Myr. Very nice tradition.

We were giving away free coffee/cappuccino yesterday and were understaffed, so there was no one to constantly keep up with the demand. I forgot how many people are ungrateful and just plain pigs when it comes to free stuff. It was BAD last year and I forgot. We're going to do it again on New Year's (corp. policy). Seriously NOT looking forward to the experience again unless some changes are made in the schedule.

Problem is, of course, that people don't want to work on holidays. Understandable in general, but when you take a job in a business you know is open and requires staffing, it's not so understandable.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Ugh, I understand your pain. I worked at a Denny's, mostly on third shift, while I was in college and people are crazy.

It never failed that when there was a Monday holiday, we weren't staffed for the Sunday night rush we would inevitably get, despite me reminding them repeatedly.

Some nights I was cooking and waiting tables at the same time and some night our dishwasher was cleaning tables and seating people for us (I tipped her big those nights). The only saving grace for our team was that we were close and we all pitched in together.

Oh, and major holidays like Thanksgiving and New Year's were required work days, so there was no getting out of it. It was part of working in the industry.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Had a long talk with the manager the next day and explained the situation. The biggest problem with our crew is that we've got ONE employee who does what she wants to do (badly) and refuses to admit she's been trained to do anything she doesn't like to do. (Let's ignore that I trained her on many of these tasks, so I know better.) SO, when things are crushed at work, she refuses to do anything but the basics (badly) and sticks everyone else around her (usually just me) with the basics AND everything else. I don't know why she hasn't been fired (I'd've gotten rid of her during her probationary period), but she's really a PITA and literally none of the staff can stand working with her. If I didn't know for a fact that the manager is faithful to his wife, I'd wonder--and that's not a nice thing, y'know?

OTOH, we're thinking about getting another dog--a puppy. We seriously don't need another pet (2 cats and 4 dogs already?!?--yes, we must be insane), but she's SO CUTE!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Had a long talk with the manager the next day and explained the situation. ... I don't know why ... hasn't been fired...

OTOH, we're thinking about getting another dog--a puppy. We seriously don't need another pet (2 cats and 4 dogs already?!?--yes, we must be insane), but she's SO CUTE!

Hopefully things will work out at your work place, Del.

As for the puppy, how are your other dogs going to feel about that? ;) Isn't FooBat the King of the kingdom? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.