probably getting a new typewriter this week

cerissa

Registered
Reaction score
so im about 4 hours away from winning what looks like a nice manual typewriter. im excited, I do all my writings on my electric typewriter, and have been looking for a nice manual one to give my electric a break from time to time. im hoping I win I cant wait :)

cerissa

Registered
Reaction score
yes congrats!!!! thank you btw, im hoping I win the auction.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i have to ask....
you don't use a computer to do your writing?

cerissa

Registered
Reaction score
no I don't, I just cant, I have tired in the past but I just cant think of anything creative, and I get add and all of a sudden im on pinterest or facebook or youtube. so for my writing I stick to my typewriter.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
cool
I like manual machines of yore !
(The new-fangled contraptions of our current era are very nice as well of course.)

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I've been considering getting a typewriter, something truly distraction free. No internet, etc. But, instead I got a mechanical keyboard with a lot of clicking noise to satisfy that aspect of having a typewriter.

Hope you win the auction, if yes, congrats ;)

Edit: And thanks to the computer, I'm back on AW every half hour, tssk.

cerissa

Registered
Reaction score
my manual that I have now is broken, the drawcord broke, and its just kinda crappy, but I will fix it one day, so im really excited to use a manual.

cerissa

Registered
Reaction score
something about a typewriter I can just sit down, maybe put on some music, and without even breaking a sweat write 2300 words. that is if I outlined well enough haha. I love it

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I used to enjoy working on a manual typewriter (yes, I'm old enough I really used to work on one.) The steady drumbeat of the keys is a pleasant sound. I type fast, so the clicka-clicka is nice white noise.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your POV) I write for profit, so I don't have the luxury to type my manuscript on a typewriter. I have to be able to translate it to an immediately formattable document, and I would loathe having to re-type the thing. I do still have an old IBM Selectric II (the correcting kind!) that I will occasionally work on just to keep up my speed. Keyboarding on a computer kills my speed because correcting is just too easy.

But good luck and I hope you win the auction! :)

cerissa

Registered
Reaction score
yea, if im on a computer, I have a tendency to try and correct the sentence or word, or paragraph right then. with the typewriter, I just write, which is a good thing cause all my first drafts so far, have sucked, and I do mean sucked, so I would have spent forever just trying to get past page one on the computer.

Amy Writes

Aim for tomorrow
Registered
Reaction score
no I don't, I just cant, I have tired in the past but I just cant think of anything creative, and I get add and all of a sudden im on pinterest or facebook or youtube. so for my writing I stick to my typewriter.

I hear you. I always have to disable the internet when I want to get any real work done.

yea, if im on a computer, I have a tendency to try and correct the sentence or word, or paragraph right then. with the typewriter, I just write, which is a good thing cause all my first drafts so far, have sucked, and I do mean sucked, so I would have spent forever just trying to get past page one on the computer.

The age-old question: when is the right time to correct suckage? I tend to edit yesterday's work, continue with today's, then repeat. But sometimes I get lost in the despair of how bad it all is. I can see how being forced to continue instead of fiddling would be an advantage.

But I'll stick to my Scrivener, thanks. :)

cerissa

Registered
Reaction score
I LOST :-( at the very last second someone out bid me I almost cried, but there will be more to get.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Look on the bright side...at least you're not cray!

:D

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
:e2moon:

don't listen to her, cerissa.
she's a scrooge!

cerissa

Registered
Reaction score
haha thanks guys, I really wanted it. but I will find something new

DjentlemanJoe

A true Djentleman.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lordjsullivan.wix.com
I've always wondered how practical Typewriters are?

I'm quite young, so forgive my ignorance. I've only ever played with a typewriter as a kid, but never for any real work. It was quite fun, but I can imagine with how often I make mistakes and later fix them when using my computer I'd have a nightmare without that backspace option!

cerissa

Registered
Reaction score
ive found it better for me, something about staring at a computer screen makes me so unproductive. yes a typewriter I do have a lot of errors, but it is also teaching me to be a better typer, and speller and typewriters don't have auto correct lol. I keep a dictionary by my typewriter, and if im really stumped I pull it out, but once im writing and in a zone, I don't touch it simply cause it messes me up. but when I edit I use it a lot. or if im jut writing a simple document or something I use it.
im young too, im 23 but I enjoy them a lot.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of manual typewriters on craigslist so you might check there. Depends on where you live. Craigslist is quite popular in my area.

I've looked at them and think I'd like to have one, but I'm trying to reduce my extraneous belongings. Typewriters have a certain romantic nature that my laptop or ipad will never have.

I hope you find a good one!