Writers who can draw (or have other artistic talent)

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
I can't draw. But I do pattern make and create costumes and garments. Hah. I totally need to write more often about fashion. ;)

Lilwritermonkey

Registered
Reaction score
Besides writing, I paint abstracts, crochet and I am very good at trivia (if that counts lol) Also, I am currently seeking schools to get my degree in Illustration. :)

Reaction score
Yeah. I'm one who likes to draw my characters. But that's because I have a hard time describing physical features of characters beyond the bare basics.

alegory

Registered
Reaction score
I had a friend when I was younger who could draw really great little cartoons and I envied her like mad because I couldn't draw a thing. I took GCSE art because I had to do an arts subject and liked the idea of it and, in the process, discovered I'm not bad at portraits, of all things. I'm a pencil and paper girl- I like the tonal side of it and the black (well, grey) and white and how much control I have over the medium (I paint too from time to time but I'm a little unwieldy!)

Unfortunately for me, drawing something decent does not come too naturally and therefore takes a long time that I'd rather spend writing so I don't do it as often as I'd like.

Oh, and, like The Unseen Moon, I've sometimes drawn my characters.

Leigha David

Leiloo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leighadavid.blogspot.com
I'm pretty versatile art-wise. I draw AND write. Actually, when I have a spell of writers block, I'll usually sit down and start sketching scenerios from my book. It usually helps me. :)

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
former art school student. I draw and sketch; though not the best with real people, but I've attempted sketching my characters. Photography is my thing as well and of course videoing. Dabbled into painting.

M R Mortimer

SF Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.suspendedearth.com
Yeah - I draw, I do my own cover designs (first two books and a draft cover candidate of my third below)

I am musically inclined - sing, play guiter, bass etc.

I even have an MMORPG I spent a lot of 2010 working on (and not much of 2011 but I still dabble in it a bit here ant there - it will see the light of day some time when such things are out of favour no doubt lol) - find it at www.postexodus.com - making such a thing solo is so much harder than writing!

Easier than the MMORPG are the virtual pinball games I spent many years making many hundreds of.

as for those book covers: (I hope they aren't too huge - crosses fingers they show up ok!)

[Deleted due to size and hotlinking...]

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan_Often

Swashbuckler
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a CG artist by day, working in the asset department on all those big budget films people love to tear apart! ;) My specialties are 3D modelling and surfacing; those two disciplines have so far comprised the bulk of my professional career.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I'm seeking someone willing to do a cover on commission. It's nautical and fantasy. Contact me at [email protected] for a description of the vessel I wish drawn and then we can negotiate once you know the parameters of what I want drawn.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
I've been drawing since I was eight. When I was a kid, I used to draw comic strips all the time. My characters had formed a detective club; I was a huge fan of "Harriet the Spy" and "Ghostwriter". For the past three years (I'm in my late twenties now), I've been working on graphic novels. It's the best of both worlds as an artist and writer. Now, I'm trying to focus more on just writing normal stories again.

When I write, I like to draw my characters, settings (interior designs of my character's homes, work places) so it's easier to describe in words on paper.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
We welcome pictures of all projects... but please upload them in a reasonable size from a site like photobucket. The folks with dial-up and the folks whose bandwidth is stolen by hotlinking will thank you, and I thank you, too.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been drawing since I was a kid and I consider myself a decent artist but my stuff is nothing compared to what's out there now, especially with all the art computer programs. Man, a lot of folks' art blows my stuff away.

The funny thing is, when I was younger, I had a tendency to draw the characters of the stories in my head, but then I'd never write the story. lol. (I still do that sometimes) I'd fall in love with some character I had drawn and I'd even tweak that character for years, but I'd never write about that character! lol.

It's really only dawned on me the past few years that maybe I needed to try the writing part too. I look back at old artwork from years ago sometimes and I'll be surprised to find a character I had drawn for some story idea at the time but then completely forgot about only to rediscover ages later.

I never did much with my artwork. It's mostly a hobby and I don't draw nearly as much as I used to.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I sketch, paint, sew, crochet, bead, sing, and play the piano. I am not an expert in any of these by any means, but I do enjoy them.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I like to draw, but can't actually do it well to save my life. Doesn't stop me from making a really amateurishly drawn webcomic.

I used to be a professional photographer and still carry my camera with me almost everywhere I go, and I'm starting to get back into sculpting (mostly horses). Always wanted to graffiti an overpass, too...

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I can draw very well. I just haven't picked up a pencil for that purpose for years.
I used to design and make cards and also do watercolour miniatures, mainly animal portraits.
I don't have the time or, sadly, the materials to draw these days. :(

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
I draw and paint! :D

I love painting my characters - and I dream about doing my own book covers, though I think it's probably not going to happen. I used to paint professionally, but I've been focusing on the writing, and with the day job on top of that, I can't take on commissions anymore.

When I've had a particularly good day, or on the weekends when I'm ahead on the word count and there's nothing to do on our suburban farm, I do still paint.

I'm on deviantart, somewhere...haven't logged on to there in forever.

toogrey2

toogrey2
Registered
Reaction score
I studied art. I draw, paint, needlework, crafts. I draw my characters, setting, maps. It helps me see my worlds.

CChampeau

The ever absent-minded
Registered
Reaction score
I've been drawing since I could pick up a crayon. But I never learned how to paint or do CG. In fact, all I know how to do art with is a #2 pencil. Kinda sad I know. :p