Can they open it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But even though I've got 2003 on my computer, I can open docx files. There's a patch, service pack, or add on (or whatever they're called with word) that upgrades older versions of word so they can open docx. I'm sure an agent can obtain these if I did. So if they're requesting only doc or rtf files, it's because that's what they prefer.

Most agents I've researched so far seem to want initial submissions pasted in the body of an email or use online forms anyway, so I'm assuming the e-mailed word files would be for when they actually request partials or fulls.

Anyway, I'm not going to refuse to send queries (or respond to requests for partials or fulls) from agents who interest me (and you'd better believe I'm researching everyone I submit to), and who have a good reputation and track record in the industry, simply because they specify that they want rtf or doc files instead of docx.

And if I did so, it sounds like I'd be narrowing my choices pretty badly. Maybe once I'm a published writer with some bestsellers under my belt :roll: I'll be able to be that picky. Though if I end up being a bestselling author, it would suggest that my agent was doing pretty well for me, docx or no.

This has gotten pretty far off track. The OP question was about accidentally sending DOCX instead of DOC, and whether the recipient would likely be able to open it. I expressed surprise at the idea that they would not be able to. It was all downhill from there.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
This has gotten pretty far off track. The OP question was about accidentally sending DOCX instead of DOC, and whether the recipient would likely be able to open it. I expressed surprise at the idea that they would not be able to. It was all downhill from there.

I think most people are able to open up DOCX (and PDF). To me the question is much more will they. (Especially if they specified RTF or DOC.) Most agencies (and publishers for all that) receive FAR more material than they can represent/publish. So might some just delete a submission that didn't follow the proper procedure (vs. scramble to patch or whatever?). Sure.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Although as roxxsmom says, most agents just want it pasted in-line. I think I've sent out a grand total of two queries with attachments so far.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Although as roxxsmom says, most agents just want it pasted in-line. I think I've sent out a grand total of two queries with attachments so far.

...though this is the short fiction forum, where it's unusual to be asked for the submission in the body of an email. Most places want short stories as an attachment to an email or the file uploaded via a form.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Short stories pasted into email are a horror I don't even want to think about.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
When I started looking at agent requirements I remember thinking what an odd difference that was, how they did not want attachments, absolutely note, but in my experience with short fiction submissions it was attachments all the way. Or their online submission form. And now Submittable is getting pretty popular.

Also, as I learned today, Tin House is okay with .pdf, .doc, .docx, and .rtf

Status
Not open for further replies.