Most important home page elements

MJRevell

www.mikerevell.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikerevell.com
What would you consider the most important things to have on your homepage?

What are some examples of good author websites you like?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Top page should have an links to these pages:

About page (bio)
Contact link (use a form if you can, not a readable/spammable email address) If you have a you-as-author Twitter or Facebook, add them here
Books (or stories or whatever and where to find them/buy them)
Blog if you have one; often the Blog should be the top/home page. If you don't have a blog, consider making the About page the homepage/landing page.

Start thinking now about keeping you the person with a private life separate from you the author online.

spieles

Registered
Reaction score
Also, maybe Events if you plan on having any? They don't need to be book store signings, they could be fan contests or giveaways. :)

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On the homepage, I like to see

-a little blurb about the author and their style and genre of writing. Nothing huge mind you, keep that for the about page, just an intro

-current book release / coming soon release

-upcoming events

Then for navigation links on the top or side (at the top) links to:
Published Work
About the Author
Events
Contact Page
Newsletter
Blog

leftyfelix2

Need an editor? Contact me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennakinzlerwriting.wordpress.com
On my website's home page, I have information about the book I want published. You can see my website here.

Otherwise, on my blog's homepage, I have my most recent blog posts! :)I'm not sure how to change the title of it from "Home" to something else though and I have Wordpress. Any ideas?

amyall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scribery.net
I've just started a writing website and when I was searching around for ideas I found Bernard Cornwell. He has a fantastic one that I used as inspiration. Check it out. Granted, mine looks nothing like his but I thought his content and style were impressive.

I looked at the site you have listed in your signature, very nicely done. I like the layout and use of art. The only recommendation I would add is that you may want to create more links to the Amazon pre-order page. I only knew your book was available because I stumbled across the slider's second image.

I think you're on the right track!
-A