Keeping multiple blogs

dontpanic

and carry a towel
Registered
Reaction score
Do any of you write multiple blogs? How do you juggle updating both of them? Are they on overlapping or completely different interest areas?

I have a Sci-Fi pop culture blog which I used to updated frequently. When I went travelling I began a blog about that which took up most of my time. I've decided to continue my travelling blog but am now at a loss as to what to do with the Sci-Fi one.

Personally I find the upkeep of two blogs a bit too much. I'm debating expanding my travel blog to also include pop culture reviews and analyses, in effect combining the two but expanding into other genres other than just Sci-Fi. I was thinking perhaps I would discontinue my Sci-Fi blog and archive the articles.

What do you guys think?

Moldy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm debating expanding my travel blog to also include pop culture reviews and analyses

Is this because you don't have enough travel-related material to update regularly with it?

dontpanic

and carry a towel
Registered
Reaction score
Is this because you don't have enough travel-related material to update regularly with it?

I started the blog whilst I was studying abroad and now have returned to my home institution, however I kept updating it with my summer travels. Now I'm travelling a lot less frequently, so therefore I update it less. However, I'm not proposing merging material from the two blogs simply to 'fill a gap' because I don't have enough travel-related material but because I think the two interest areas could work well together.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I have three (links to 2 are in my sig):

The Backbeat - rock, country, blues, folk music
Season Tickets - sports (also included restaurant reviews)
Miles & Meals - restaurant reviews (decided they needed to be on their own)

Updated occasionally. All three also used to market my books. I decided even though I don't update all 3 as often as I did, it seemed best to keep them focused on the interest areas.

Last edited:

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Do any of you write multiple blogs? How do you juggle updating both of them? Are they on overlapping or completely different interest areas?

It's strange, but my first thought when I read your post was...eek, no way! I can barely keep track of one. And 2 minutes later, I'm thinking, "I should try that!" I even have an idea for my second blog. Perhaps nothing that would be wildly popular, but something I would enjoy writing, even if it is just for myself (like a journal). Hmmmm....my two blogs would be on completely separate topics. I would never combine them.

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
I had two for awhile. One was always being neglected. A few months ago I merged them into one, unsure how smooth that transition would be. They seem to compliment each other though and I can't really imagine ever having kept them separate! One was about writing and one was about meditation. So now it's about how to stay motivated with your writing, stay positive, mixed in with meditation music and all the other stuff that went in the meditation blog before.

For me, if I was going to keep the blogs just as a way to have fun, two would be fine. But my blog is my platform, and in order to have decent traffic and actually keep my blog full of content that keeps people coming I can only handle one. I think that's what it comes down to for me - is the blog for personal or professional reasons?

James L

(Not Batman)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.longtailwriting.com
I am working on three, plus Hubpages. I wanted to create a few different streams of income so I divided up my interests: Writing, Tech, Health, and Misc.

• Hubpages - Misc bin for articles I can't sell or random stuff I want to write about.
  • Writing - Tips & Tricks for writing. Probably comes off a little "dear diary". Used to market short stories as well.
  • Tech - Aiming for longer in-depth articles about tech trends.
  • Health - Tips & Tricks and looking to use to market a potential book.

None of these are paying yet as streams of income, but building that up takes a lot of time. Right now I am just enjoying building content for all of those.