What do you enjoy reading (or not) on blogs?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like to read blogs but honesty, I find myself often skimming or skipping the parts about writing. Just my personal opinion of course, but the typical things just don't really catch my interest, like notes on that writer's progress on their own writing, writing tips for beginners, links to other writing sites that are more of the same, or links to published articles on writing by someone else. Guess that's strange to say on a writer's site...

I'm also not usually that interested in people's opinions/rants on everything under the sun, either, although there are exceptions to that one. It just depends on if I care about the topic.

What I really like are the parts that are just about someone's real life, especially if pics are included. But then I've also read a lot of complaints about those. Some people think that if you're not a celebrity, it's presumptuous to think anyone cares what you made for dinner, if you painted your nails, the turtle in your backyard, or the cute thing your kid said (and the more important and personal life events, too). It's made me second guess (I just added a blog to my website). But personally, glimpses into the world of all those regular people out there is what I like best.

Wondering what others like to read or not on other people's blogs and if they consider that when deciding what to write on theirs (if you have one) or just consider it more their own personal space and just post whatever they feel like posting?

Also, do you think it's self-important to just blog about your daily life?

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like to read potentially anything and everything. It could be something personal about the blogger's life, or a scientific thing, or a political rant . . . whatever it is, as long as it's presented in an interesting, accessible way, I'm all for it.

For example, I love The Oatmeal. I think the writer has a fantastic way of approaching all of his subject matter with humor. I even read his post about the Tesla car, and I usually find cars really, really boring. I also read his post on why he likes jogging, and that's a personal slice of life which I would normally find uninteresting, but he managed to present it in an inviting and humorous way. I think his blog is a great example of "Anything could be made to interest a large number of people".

Same deal with most of the bloggers I follow, come to think of it. Another favorite of mine is Hark! A Vagrant. The artist draws comics about everything, from history, to classic lit, to personal life, to modern feminism, and I find most of the things she writes and draws hilarious. I also follow quite a few wedding photographers, since I was in wedding photography, and the ones who are most popular don't just blog about wedding photography. They blog about their lives, their pets, their hobbies, the hardships they go through, the books they're reading, etc.

It's all just a matter of how the information is being conveyed. :)

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
What I really like are the parts that are just about someone's real life, especially if pics are included. But then I've also read a lot of complaints about those. Some people think that if you're not a celebrity, it's presumptuous to think anyone cares what you made for dinner, if you painted your nails, the turtle in your backyard, or the cute thing your kid said (and the more important and personal life events, too). It's made me second guess (I just added a blog to my website). But personally, glimpses into the world of all those regular people out there is what I like best.

My tastes run pretty similar to yours. Like you, I like the blogs where people share part of their lives--especially ordinary people. I don't read ANY celebrity blog stuff. I think for "ordinary people" the key is good writing. If the person is interesting, humorous, vulnerable, unique or something like that...it makes their blog interesting. No need to be a "celebrity".

Wondering what others like to read or not on other people's blogs and if they consider that when deciding what to write on theirs (if you have one) or just consider it more their own personal space and just post whatever they feel like posting?

I've been blogging for about 5 years now (maybe 6)...my blog has evolved over the years, naturally. I used to blog about random stuff I just wanted to talk about. Then I started sharing in a more personal way about what I was dealing with. My current focus is an out growth of that...I focus now on what the reader might want, but still use personal stories to make my point. (Yes, that is something I like in other blogs, so that influences my writing.)

No. I mean some blogs do that and if the writing is good, it works.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read few blogs. Most of the time I only read a blog when someone else has recommended a particular blog article. I don't find a lot I'm interested in, or need, on blogs. And it seems like many bloggers get tired of writing them after a while--then they begin to sound like one of those obligatory letters home from summer camp.

Facebook has replaced a lot of the personal "chit-chat" that I might otherwise be interested in.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
My blog is mainly about entertainment related topics. TV and movie reviews. Commentary on tv, movies, and video games is what I write and also what I read. I read many blogs on the subject because that is what I'm interested in.

If it's not about entertainment, you won't catch me reading it (unless I like you as a person).

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
I would agree I'm not that into writing blogs. I'm in a screenwriting group on FB. There was a discussion on there about why there's no "the next big..." show for writers. Like how they have the next singer, make up artist, etc. The consensus was that the daily life of a writer isn't very interesting to outsiders. Of course to us it's an endless parade of characters and space operas, but you can't actually capture that.

I also enjoy posts about people's lives, and with pictures. I like to see what other people are into and how they are navigating obstacles and struggles in life. They just can't be too long. I'm still learning myself how to keep posts as concise as possible.

James L

(Not Batman)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.longtailwriting.com
As an IT geek I've always enjoyed educational style blogs with bullet points or headers because they:

* Are easy to skim

* Feel more relevant

* Inspire me to build my own list

* Help me to understand the writer's idea flow

(Also - humor is awesome! Off to look at "The Oatmeal" after reading PutPutt's comment)

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like to read blogs but honesty, I find myself often skimming or skipping the parts about writing. Just my personal opinion of course, but the typical things just don't really catch my interest, like notes on that writer's progress on their own writing, writing tips for beginners, links to other writing sites that are more of the same, or links to published articles on writing by someone else. Guess that's strange to say on a writer's site...

Not at all. I'm not all that interested in being told stuff I already know unless it's told in a new and novel way. Sadly, most posts from writers about writing are not.

Fruitbat said:
I'm also not usually that interested in people's opinions/rants on everything under the sun, either, although there are exceptions to that one. It just depends on if I care about the topic.

I'm open to opinions/rants if they make me think and challenge me. If they're just "I think this and I'm gonna rant about that" I'm out. There's a whole world wide web for that sort of thing.

Fruitbag said:

Unless you're the Most Interesting Man in the World it's not self-important. It's self-indulgent.

I opened the window before I went to bed last night.
I woke up in the morning and the temperature had dropped.
When my bare feet hit the cold floor it made me say, "Brrrr!"
I got back into bed where it was nice and warm and cozy.

Most folks daily lives are not worth reading about on a daily basis. :e2yawn:

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
I opened the window before I went to bed last night.
I woke up in the morning and the temperature had dropped.
When my bare feet hit the cold floor it made me say, "Brrrr!"
I got back into bed where it was nice and warm and cozy.

I enjoyed reading that! Maybe because i just woke up and I'm drinking coffee and bed sounds so cozy.

Craig McNeil

Sitting in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CraigMcNeil.com
I don't like reading blogs at all. It's not really the fault of the bloggers though as I find it very difficult to read anything on a screen unless it's news and relatively short. Having said that, there's also the fact I find the vast majority of blogs to be uninteresting ramblings. I do use blogs if they are informative ie how to do something, contain facts I'm after, etc

Motley

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
The only reason I read blogs at all is to get information, so it's usually a post here and there rather than following someone.

I do hate personal blogs where people tell you how cute their child was when they spilled spaghetti on their head or how sad it is that their dog is sick. I feel like I'm intruding and wonder why the person is letting the public peek in their window like that.

Moldy

Registered
Reaction score
I look for depth. So many people spend a few hundred words on subjects that should have thousands. And by that I don't mean that they *have* to be long, because certainly there's posts that are needlessly rambling and repetitive where the length adds nothing--but it seems like many bloggers just brush over a topic very casually and don't really rip into it.

Whether it's travels to new countries or a new recipe, I want to read all about it, not just "France was cool." or "this bean salad was super yummy!!!" I mean that's alright but if they can tell me all about making a bean salad and make the tale interesting I prefer that.

I don't think blogging about your personal life or every day is "self-important" whatever that means. I think it can be very interesting--but a person has to know how to make it interesting. The daily facts of our lives really aren't all that, but good writers know how to make it funny and amusing or hook us into feeling righteous indignation at what their boss did or whatever. Following someone's personal life can be loads of fun.

In other words, I think a good writer can blog about almost anything and it's interesting and worthwhile. It's the quality of the writing/blogging that's important more than the content.

pyrosama

Pyrosama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
matrix-hole.blogspot.com
I enjoy blogs that reflect the author's personality. It's not the look and feel of the blog that's important to me, it's about the voice and personality with how the posts are written.

I have two favorites who do not post often enough. One is a lady of mid twenties or so who cusses and pokes fun of her every day surroundings/shenanigans which I find hilarious because she doesn't hold back her thoughts. The other is an author who shares her hilarious cartoon art while unraveling her past stories.

These things keep me entertained. I don't particularly like to read blogs about writing progress, though I do enjoy posting comments and encouraging progress when I stop by! :) It's the blogs which make me laugh...those are the ones I look forward to reading and am disappointed when I don't find new posts.

Laura15

Registered
Reaction score
Website
boatsagainstthecurrent.net
I quite like discussion posts, and reviews, if they are about a book/film/TV show I am personally interested in. And contrary to what a lot of people here have said, I quite like posts about writing! I like to know about other peoples' writing processes!