AWers on Ello

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Ello is a new, small, no-frills, still-in-beta social media site started several months ago. Last week some well-read online blogger (and a member of a subset that is more negatively affected by Facebook's policies than the overall population) recently wrote yet another article on the many problems with Facebook as seen from the user's perspective, and happened to mention Ello as favorable (even if not quite ready for prime time) alternative. Thus, sudden explosive growth, and I heard about it.

Here's Ello's "about" page, which certainly reads like a reaction to Facebook:
https://ello.co/wtf/post/about-ello

Here's my Ello addy/ID/whatever:
@benbradley
(and no, that's NOT my Twitter ID, that's one of the several other Ben Bradleys who got to Twitter before me -Ello has adopted the convention of starting IDs with @ - I've seen at least one other forum in addition to Twitter do this)

The equivalent web URL for my ID on Ello (so it's clickable) is:
https://ello.co/benbradley

As it says, Ello is currently invite-only (like Gmail and some other things were when they started), but I can send you and invite if you PM me with an email address that gets to you. If I get deluged, it may take a while to get back to you. If I run out of invites (ISTR it's limited to 25), I'll respond saying so, but someone else should have posted here with their ID by then, and you can bug them.

Sunwords

Registered
Reaction score
I never started on FB, but I love my Twitter ;-) - ello ist definitly something I would like to check out.

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
I just saw the HuffPost give a glowing review of Ello. Truth be told I didn't read the article, but they seemed to think everyone would be jumping on the bandwagon soon.

Okay I requested an invite.... let's see what this is all about.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I would love an invite to see what's going on :)

However, several articles are already claiming that they as much as FB are willing to sell user data, that their privacy terms are not as private as they'd like you to think and that they've got a lot of investment money and as soon as you get investment money, there is a selling data strategy behind it...

So, I'm very curious to see where it goes. Privacy settings haven't kept me off anything, I'm way past thinking anything on the internet is private anyway. And I fully accept that anything I've said or done on the internet can show up again, tied to my name...

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
So, I now opened this thing:

https://ello.co/vinjii

Thanks to benbradley :)

Don't know yet what my plans are with it, maybe something creative, quotes, bits and pieces from books and some photographs :)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'm on there as @emaree, but I have privacy concerns about the site and I'm hoping the developers address them soon.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm going to start YASM (yet another social media) site called gbye. Anyone with me?

:)
I think you're too late (and if Ello goes nowhere, it'll be far from the first to fail).

That might have been Google Wave waving goodbye. Okay, that was supposed to be some sort of collaborative suite, not a social site. Maybe it was Google Schemer waving goodbye.

Regardless, a site isn't "here to stay" until Google or Facebook buys it for a billion dollars.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, the response has been overwhelming, but I think I might have a few invites left.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Well, if you run out of invites, I now have a few to offer as well :) Wouldn't want AWers having to go without.

AliceWrites

Writing jazz
Registered
Reaction score
I see this thread died a bit of a death, but I have also signed up for Ello, and checking out what it may be useful for.

So far, it looks good for pictures. Am I right in thinking it has mostly been set up from a private network of artists or illustrators or photographers or something similar?

I would love to have some friends. Ello is a bit echo-y at the moment ...

https://ello.co/alicewild