AWers on Tsu?

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
So, we had Ello and a ton of other social networks and now this new one is popping up, that I personally find interesting.

The idea is that your content should be worth money. If there's ads and people investing and paying the social network for your content, then the social network should pay you. So, theoretically by posting good content that gets shared and liked you then should get paid for the revenue you generated.

It's not invite only, but you need to be referred by someone. So, if anyone wants to sign up

Here is my profile: http://www.tsu.co/Vinjii and from that page you can directly sign up.

Or you go directly to the page: http://www.tsu.co/ and then in the sign up field it asks for someone's short code and mine is Vinjii (the part after the / ).

Of course if you know someone else that is on Tsu, you can use their short code to sign up :)

Anyone already on there? I would love to have more people to follow.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I'm having the impression AWers aren't big on new social networks that pop up and probably disappear again :D

Moldy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having the impression AWers aren't big on new social networks that pop up and probably disappear again :D

For me it's more an issue of web design. I don't tend to like the styles that are trending right now, especially for social network type sites. I guess it's what looks good on smart phones; I don't do most of my browsing on a smart phone.

Then when you go the user page (yours for example) it looks like the same low-customisation layout facebook uses; you get a user avatar, and a banner, and that's the sum of your control over your page's look. It looks pretty close to a Google Plus page actually, although I haven't used those in a long time so maybe they've changed.

I'm not opposed to the site's aims though, it might even lead to more conscientious posting by users there. It just seems to me that if they make themselves nearly identical of Facebook and Google Plus then they're not going to have a lot to entice users over there.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
For me it's more an issue of web design. I don't tend to like the styles that are trending right now, especially for social network type sites. I guess it's what looks good on smart phones; I don't do most of my browsing on a smart phone.

Then when you go the user page (yours for example) it looks like the same low-customisation layout facebook uses; you get a user avatar, and a banner, and that's the sum of your control over your page's look. It looks pretty close to a Google Plus page actually, although I haven't used those in a long time so maybe they've changed.

I'm not opposed to the site's aims though, it might even lead to more conscientious posting by users there. It just seems to me that if they make themselves nearly identical of Facebook and Google Plus then they're not going to have a lot to entice users over there.

One of the problems they're facing now is people spamming posts to be seen and heard and noticed... so at the moment it looks like everyone is trying to sell themselves, which looks bad. If it continues like that it will neither hold my interest nor will it go anywhere.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I have no idea what ello is, nor does a social media platform based on ad generation sound appealing.

Ello is a new social network that is based on the idea that they will never sell the user data, they will never use ads and they will not sell out, basically. They say they're a anti- Facebook, as in they will keep your data private and yours and not use it to sell ads. Which obviously with today's privacy concerns got a lot of positive feedback.

Tsu, however, openly says we're having ads, you're the reason we can have ads, so you shall have a cut of what we make with the ads. Interesting, but whether it will work is a wholly different question.

As I said in my previous post, so far it looks like a lot of people spam to get each other's attention. And that will turn me off very quickly.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Ello is a new social network that is based on the idea that they will never sell the user data, they will never use ads and they will not sell out, basically. They say they're a anti- Facebook, as in they will keep your data private and yours and not use it to sell ads. Which obviously with today's privacy concerns got a lot of positive feedback.

So how exactly will Ello stay in business? At the heart of the issue with any social media platform is the real life mechanics--the server farm and coders behind the scenes fixing bugs and adding features, who presumably want to be paid a salary. Tsu makes more sense to me, frankly. Still not appealing to me because I'm not terribly social, but I can't imagine how Ello could survive.

Moldy

Registered
Reaction score
One of the problems they're facing now is people spamming posts to be seen and heard and noticed... so at the moment it looks like everyone is trying to sell themselves, which looks bad. If it continues like that it will neither hold my interest nor will it go anywhere.

That's really unfortunate. I would have guessed that it would have made people more selective and thoughtful about what they post--shows how good I am at predicting human nature.

They should probably put a post limit up. I don't know if Facebook has one, but Tumblr does, and you're blocked from making posts for a period of time after a certain amount is reached.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
So how exactly will Ello stay in business? At the heart of the issue with any social media platform is the real life mechanics--the server farm and coders behind the scenes fixing bugs and adding features, who presumably want to be paid a salary. Tsu makes more sense to me, frankly. Still not appealing to me because I'm not terribly social, but I can't imagine how Ello could survive.

Ello is going to sell features to its users. Will be free for users who have no wishes, but you will be able to buy profile tweaks etc.
I wonder if they'll manage. But I find the business model interesting.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Half the income goes to the person who referred you. Making Tsu look to me mostly like a giant pyramid scheme being promoted by people who want tomake money off those they recruit. Also their web copy is badly written which makes me twitchy.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Half the income goes to the person who referred you. Making Tsu look to me mostly like a giant pyramid scheme being promoted by people who want tomake money off those they recruit. Also their web copy is badly written which makes me twitchy.

I'm worried about this.

I've read this article today: Is Tsu a scam? http://www.amandablain.com/tsu-scam-things-to-consider/

Don't know enough about the technical stuffs to recognise when something is badly written though.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Like many things I don't think it plans to be a scam, but is structured such that people investing time there are probably wasting it.