Suggestion Box

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering how you're envisioning this proposed subforum as different than Conquering Challenges?

I'm honestly having a hell of a time figuring that out. If that changes I'll definitely let you guys know though.

Edit: I should say too that I'm not saying the Conquering Challenges format is bad in this case. I'm just saying that living with a disability is significantly different for some then dealing with the struggles of every day life. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I'm just saying that living with a disability is significantly different for some then dealing with the struggles of every day life. Just something to think about.

The thing is though, that a large number of the people posting in CC are posting about living with a disability.

Living with a disability is in large part about the challenges of coping with everyday life.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
The thing is though, that a large number of the people posting in CC are posting about living with a disability.

Living with a disability is in large part about the challenges of coping with everyday life.

That's true. You have a point.

To me though, there is a considerable difference between talking about your specific disability and talking about how to cope with something that may or may not be related to a stronger underlying issue (such as a disability). I believe that everyone has a disability but it's more apparent in some people versus others. There are plenty of people that ask for advice on how to cope but refuse, in any way, to believe it could be apart of something stronger. I've witnessed quite a few times that these people tend to pick on or harass someone where the disability is obvious to them not realizing the issues they have may be apart of something much larger. I haven't even included the damage the aggressor may've caused.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To me though, there is a considerable difference between talking about your specific disability and talking about how to cope with something that may or may not be related to a stronger underlying issue (such as a disability).

I've long been aware of Conquering Challenges and rightly or wrongly have never considered it a forum to discuss conditions encountered by being deaf. I've also associated CC with temporary problems we all encounter in daily life.

I, too, hope we might eventually see Flutterlight's sub-forum become a reality at AW.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Well, at this point, it seems pretty safe to say there's plenty of interest in building the room. Now, mostly, I'm just trying to make sure I understand the vision so's we can build it and mod it effectively. :)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A disability is something you can't 'conquer' in the same way you can many life challenges. It is so often something you have to live with. (Disclaimer: this opinion is from someone who has no diagnosed disability.)

So that seems to me to be the distinction, which is probably always going to involve some gray areas.

I also wonder if this should include non-physiological disabilities, such as BP, clinical depression, schizophrenia, etc. There are certainly many who labor with those. Are these folks included in the definition being distilled here?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A disability is something you can't 'conquer' in the same way you can many life challenges. It is so often something you have to live with. (Disclaimer: this opinion is from someone who has no diagnosed disability.)

So that seems to me to be the distinction, which is probably always going to involve some gray areas.

I also wonder if this should include non-physiological disabilities, such as BP, clinical depression, schizophrenia, etc. There are certainly many who labor with those. Are these folks included in the definition being distilled here?

(Disclaimer: this opinion is from someone who has no diagnosed disability.) Funny thing: this also applies to me.

At least in the U.S., even complete deafness isn't considered a "disability" for the purposes of social security. For my sister (deaf 76 years since birth) and for me (progressively hard-of-hearing for 20 years and totally deaf 12 years), our family and the two of us would have been much better off financially to have had back problems preventing us from earning normal livings.

Our affliction has always been an invisible one. Oh, I can tell you such stories.:D So who am I to limit a proposed sub-forum to physiological disabilities?

Last edited:

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I am super late coming in, but:

When someone first pitched this idea to me, I was assuming it would be something more like POC or QUILTBAG than CC. A place to discuss the social aspects of disability, rights, the push for equality, ways to cope with existing discrimination, news related to these things, and sometimes AWers coming in to ask questions- all the same stuff I've seen in those two forums. And that's what I'm most interested in seeing.

From a purely personal standpoint I do hope the various forms of non-physiological disabilities would be included, but I can understand if they're not and I won't make an issue of it.

What I mean is, I figure I'm not the only AWer who'd love to see a designated spot for the respectful discussions of sanism/mental health stigma, or of intellectual disabilities and the stigma related to those, or of media portrayals of neurovariance, etc that sometimes take place in other forums here... But I know the prejudices people with physiological disabilities face are different and it's not my place to decide whether all disabilities can be discussed in the same subforum.

Last edited:

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
One of the occasional problems here (and at every forum, really) is that sometimes a person will write a long detailed post, forget to copy it to Notepad before clicking Submit -- then discover that internet gremlins have eaten your words, and all that effort has gone to waste.

This morning I was over at the Windows Secrets forum for the first time in ages, and noticed that their more-recent version of vBulletin (4.2.2) has a nifty new feature that fixes the problem:

Autosave while you're typing a post.

It will even resurrect your in-progress post if you accidentally leave the page before submitting it. (Had that happen this very morning -- accidentally closed the bloody tab; went back to re-answer the same comment and lo and behold, it asked if I wanted to resurrect the previous unfinished post. Yay!)

I have no idea what cost and effort are required for a vBulletin upgrade, but I think this feature is killer enough to merit strong consideration, especially with the kind of detailed posts that go into many crits.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
We're actually discussing a software upgrade, as a matter of fact.
One of the occasional problems here (and at every forum, really) is that sometimes a person will write a long detailed post, forget to copy it to Notepad before clicking Submit -- then discover that internet gremlins have eaten your words, and all that effort has gone to waste.

This morning I was over at the Windows Secrets forum for the first time in ages, and noticed that their more-recent version of vBulletin (4.2.2) has a nifty new feature that fixes the problem:

Autosave while you're typing a post.

It will even resurrect your in-progress post if you accidentally leave the page before submitting it. (Had that happen this very morning -- accidentally closed the bloody tab; went back to re-answer the same comment and lo and behold, it asked if I wanted to resurrect the previous unfinished post. Yay!)

I have no idea what cost and effort are required for a vBulletin upgrade, but I think this feature is killer enough to merit strong consideration, especially with the kind of detailed posts that go into many crits.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Excellent. Hope it goes well, when and if.

Yep. Me too.

There are a couple of things that have to be factored in: the membership tends to resist dramatic change, and this is a fairly large upgrade; it's a few hundred extra bucks, that we gotta figure out how to stretch to fit into the budget.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Yep. Me too.

There are a couple of things that have to be factored in: the membership tends to resist dramatic change, and this is a fairly large upgrade; it's a few hundred extra bucks, that we gotta figure out how to stretch to fit into the budget.

Which reminds me that I should send through another donation to keep us going. :)

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Wasn't there a discussion here somewhere on adding spoiler tags? Anyway I just noticed spoiler tags used on this forum, which runs a positively antique version of vBulletin:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/70649-50-shades-of-graytall/

tho I can't tell if it's native or someone's add-on (that forum positively crawls with programmers).

ETA: City-data runs vBulletin 4.2.0, and the default editor has a SHOW/HIDE button for spoilers. So it's evidently native, cuz they never add or change anything. Should be something you can turn on Adminly.

Bright and cheerful in here today :D

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Spoiler tags would rock. Just chiming in. The "post in white text" doesn't work for everyone. (Tilting your screen a little and you can see it--not to mention the replies completely nix all of the hiding power.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'll add support for spoiler tags as soon as I can.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the area of suggestions, I'd like to see support for [ table ] in the signature. Over at kboards, they support table, tr, and td, and it makes a considerable difference in the ability to format a nice signature.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I notice that it no longer says who deleted a post.

It may be useful to know who moderated a post, to know who to PM if someone has questions about the moderation.

Umm... I do plan on behaving... I promise...

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Don't know if this has been brought up before, but is there any chance we can get a dark/night mode skin for the forums? I tend to browse a lot at night and the white/light grey backgrounds can be eye burning even with proper lighting.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been brought up before, but is there any chance we can get a dark/night mode skin for the forums? I tend to browse a lot at night and the white/light grey backgrounds can be eye burning even with proper lighting.

That's an interesting idea; I'll look into it.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's an interesting idea; I'll look into it.

I have issues with screen brightness also-- so far I can deal with it well enough by setting my computer screen to a dimmer setting but it would be lovely to have another option!