• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Words you overuse constantly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannahWing

Wait, what?
Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me or do other people do this too? I constantly have to check my writing for specific words that I use way too much. The words I love to over use are: somehow, just, really and actually.

If I wasn't constantly on the look out for them, they would might show up a couple times a paragraph. I overuse these words in normal speak as well so it's no surprise that they show up in my writing too much.

Is this just me? Do other people have their own words that they love to overuse?

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just, really, only, little, pretty, kind of, actually, all used in the qualification sense. They're terrible, but I make it my practice not to stress about them too much in the first draft, and do search and destroy of them while editing.

summontherats

Generally More of a Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fairieszombiesandqueries.wordpress.com
I abuse adverbs and softening words. "Briefly," "almost," "nearly," "as if," "somewhat"--they're things that seem poetic when I'm writing, even though they just make everything weaker.

I also have a maddening habit of using a construction like "It was [adjective,] [synonym for first adjective,] [maybe even another synonym!]" It seems to be my default way of writing in emphasis, except I overdo it horribly and end up editing out most of them.

Last edited:

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, let's see:
Just, that, should, could, might, soon, now, then

Honestly lately my first draft sentences are just too wordy. I suppose it's me just trying to explain what I mean in a general way, because then I look for phrases or stronger verbs that do the job in less words.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Several, but "that" stands out. I can eliminate it at least eighty percent of the time.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I abuse adverbs and softening words. "Briefly," "almost," "nearly," "as if," "somewhat"--they're things that seem poetic when I'm writing, even though they just make everything weaker.

I also have a maddening habit of using a construction like "It was [adjective,] [synonym for first adjective,] [maybe even another synonym!]" It seems to be my default way of writing in emphasis, except I overdo it horribly and end up editing out most of them.

I didn't know using 'as if' is a bad thing. I tend to use it when my MC guesses the reasoning of other characters. Like, "it was as if he wanted her to be angry." Can the 'as if' be skipped without being considered head hopping?

Bufkus

Registered
Reaction score
I overuse look and glance, and probably a bunch of other words I can't remember off the top of my head.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I find I overuse certain prepositional phrases to create narrative transitions, like 'with that, he...[did something else]' or 'At home, he blah blah...'

And in dialogue tags, there's a lot of 'he shot back' instead of just replied (maybe because everyone in my novel is always carping at each other, lol). And a beta recently mentioned that my characters do a lot of freezing, especially in response to an unexpected development, lol. It's a bit like a cheat, I guess, giving me a beat to send the character's reaction in a different direction.

Another thing I overuse is the position of the sun/moon to time stamp scenes. I try to do it in inventive ways (by using Egyptian mythology of Ra's boat sailing across the sky, for instance) but I still feel like I start way too many scenes the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:

summontherats

Generally More of a Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fairieszombiesandqueries.wordpress.com
I didn't know using 'as if' is a bad thing. I tend to use it when my MC guesses the reasoning of other characters. Like, "it was as if he wanted her to be angry." Can the 'as if' be skipped without being considered head hopping?

Yeah, I should probably nix that from my list, since it's not really a "bad phrase" that you can mass remove. But usually (but not always) it can be replaced with like. It also has a tiny hint of loftiness to it, like using "as well as" instead of "and."

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
"And" is my real problem. I did look at a book published by a big house publisher and they used "and" as much as I did, but still I try to watch it. I used to use "but" to much until my wife pointed it out. I hadn't noticed until then. There are other words that I use a lot, but they are spread out so I don't know if that is a problem or not.

amyall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scribery.net
I use the word "just" way too much. It's really nice to see that other people struggle with this as well.

I'm finding my main character goes through the same series of physical reactions again and again too. Her heart races and stomach twists so much that she should probably have that looked at.

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
Just, really, only, little, pretty, kind of, actually, all used in the qualification sense. They're terrible, but I make it my practice not to stress about them too much in the first draft, and do search and destroy of them while editing.

This. Thisthisthis. I'm exactly the same.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

"As if" isn't bad on its own, but anything is bad if you overuse it. It doesn't take very many cases of "as if" before it starts jumping off the page at the reader.

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
"Though" is one I overuse all the time. In speech and in writing. I blame my dad for that, and his lyrical half-Irish, half-Geordie accent. I mimic so many of his speech patterns and he overuses it too.

Also, 'somehow', 'some kind of', 'a bit', 'a little bit'. I have to go through every draft to eliminate them.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, me, too. In addition to the usual that, just, really, some (which I always try to kill), look, glance, and eyes, I also need to watch out for walked over and tried.

Somewhere in computer-space, there's whole piles of these words crying softly and needing counseling.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
I have to resist "wonders"

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
despondently and dejectedly...... Well, not so much in the current stories I'm writing, but in my last major one I had waaaaay too many and had to find ways to get rid of most of them.

I also have a tendency to overuse semicolons; I love them so much.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
That's one of the really nice things about something like yWrite. It (and I assume Scrivener and other packages) will tally word usage for you, letting you see just how often you actually use a particular word. It's really a pretty handy little function.....

Status
Not open for further replies.