• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Proofing Galleys on Screen or on Paper? (or How I'm Procrastinating Now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
(I couldn't find an area better suited to this question, so I put it here in the General Section.)

When proofing your galleys, do you usually do it on screen (digital) or print it out on paper? Up til now I have always printed them, but this time I'm trying it on the computer but can't shake the feeling I'm missing stuff by not being able to view the thing in my hand the way a reader would.

Anyone else feel this way?

BrianJamesFreeman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BrianJamesFreeman.com
(I couldn't find an area better suited to this question, so I put it here in the General Section.)

When proofing your galleys, do you usually do it on screen (digital) or print it out on paper? Up til now I have always printed them, but this time I'm trying it on the computer but can't shake the feeling I'm missing stuff by not being able to view the thing in my hand the way a reader would.

Anyone else feel this way?

I always proof on paper because I know I'm missing things when I read on the screen. It's just the way I'm wired. I'd save a lot of trees if I saw things on the screen the same way as I do in print.

Brian

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Do both. You'll spot more errors that way.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I used to have to do paper galleys. No longer. Now they're on screen, and damned if I'm going to print them out, and try to do changes this way. Working onscreen is infinitely easier for me, and I miss no more this way than on paper. Less, actually. And changes are easy. Onscreen also makes going through a copy edited manuscript a hundred times easier, at least for me.

I'm a Luddite in many ways, but this is one area where I love technology, and I am not going back to paper.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Well, my ms come back from the story edit with comments and tracked changes, so I pretty much have to do them digitally (also, "next edit" is a timesaver).

But I always printed out the final galleys (press-ready) prior to this time. I am going to try to soldier through. I've only found one mistake so far tho and that has me worried! But maybe the line editor and the formatter were just great.

Status
Not open for further replies.