• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

clothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I don't usually describe my MC's clothing unless it's important for some reason. When I do describe it, I try to avoid "laundry lists" and incorporate the description into the action. During a chase scene, my MC's skirt gets ripped by some brambles, for instance. When she attends a formal white-tie event, I describe her gown, because it's important for characterization. She used to be extremely modest (for religious reasons), but during the story, she slowly lets go of her old ways. So when she wears an evening gown that shows a moderate amount of cleavage, it's a key moment in her character arc. Even so, I kept it brief and tried to make it interesting, rather than a generic list of garments.

I have read several novels where the MC chooses her clothes and gets dressed every chapter or two. These scenes are always mirror-image laundry lists, like, "She chose her favorite sea-green angora sweater with fuchsia embroidery around the hem, which matched her hot pink peasant skirt. Once dressed, she pulled on a pair of turquoise high-heeled boots--the ones with the black fringe, which complemented the ebony kid leather gloves her mother had given her for Christmas. Finally, she tied a pink and teal paisley scarf around her neck. She turned in front of the mirror, then, as an afterthought, added a pair of diamond stud earrings, which her ex-boyfriend had given her. A quick dab of (famous name brand) perfume to her wrists and throat, and she was ready to face the world."

It got old fast, lemme tell you!

That said, I do appreciate accurate descriptions of historical clothing. If a period novel doesn't describe the clothing, there's nothing to ground it in that period of history. So, tell me about the snug corset, the swish of her petticoat, and the way her bustle requires her to be careful when she sits. Unless your novel is set in 1880, in which case, omit the bustle and mention how narrow the skirts are. A little research goes a long way and can really help make a scene come alive. (Whatever you do, don't put a Victorian woman in panties. Please, my sanity depends upon it!)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
(Whatever you do, don't put a Victorian woman in panties. Please, my sanity depends upon it!)

I read recently that the term "panties" actually referred to men's and boy's undershorts back in the 1800s. So maybe if she's wearing men's undergarments for some reason in that setting (and hey, maybe there were a few women who did for some reason).

I so want to bring that back so I can tell my husband he needs to pick his panties up from the bathroom floor. But then, I've always hated the word "panties" anyway. My undies demand more dignity, darn it!

Last edited:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I read recently that the term "panties" actually referred to men's and boy's undershorts back in the 1800s. So maybe if she's wearing men's undergarments for some reason in that setting (and hey, maybe there were a few women who did for some reason).

I've never heard of men's undergarments being called "panties," in the 1800s or any other period. Granted, my specialty is women's historical costume, but even so. . . . There were lots of different names for men's underwear over the centuries: braes, long Johns, cod pieces, union suits, drawers, boxers, briefs, and in the UK, pants. Perhaps they were called panties over there? In any case, I'd love to know your source! Where'd you read this?

(And no, in the novel in question, it was a woman wearing feminine undergarments. I believe the same novel had an Edwardian woman wearing a hoop skirt, so. . . . yeah. Google is your friend, folks!)

Renee J

Registered
Reaction score
I mention my main male character wears suits all the time, even when he's not at work. I describe what the female main character is wearing when in the male POV, because he likes what she wears.

Redbear1158

Foolish finagler of Folly
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on how relevant the clothing is to the story. If you're writing a period piece, such as something from the seventies, then it's fun to throw some description in. Hip huggers, thongs (which, by the way, is different than what thongs are today :D), and maybe a paisley halter top. Anybody who lived during the seventies, or grew up during that era, would immediately recognize that clothing and footwear.

You just had to use that particular word! I got more that a few strange looks when mentioning my footwear.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I go to work every single day. Well, used to...

anyway, every single person I meet in the hallway is clothed, because the place I worked was kinda lame like that, and you couldn't just come on in swingin your bits. In any given day, I doubt I could tell you from memory what ANYONE was wearing, unless they had a particularly amusing tee, ugly tie, etc. Because that's me.

There are other people who notice clothing obsessively. Not nearly as many as in "my camp," I suspect, but they do exist.

All the above said, what matters is what your character might notice. So a wannabe fashionista may announce the clothing of every character they meet in their narration, because it is part of how they interact with the world and form impressions. A slob like me, not so much. And far less in a chase scene, noting the fine calfskin gloves of the guy I am running from, than when I am sitting in church waiting for the hour to pass and bored as shit.

In either case, "should I mention clothing" has more to do with your character and the situation they are in than some ideal notion of the adequate mention in a "standard book." If it fits the narrator to mention Meagan has a sky-blue angora sweater, say it. If it fits to say she had a "blue thing on that really showed off her tits," say that. If the MC is Meagan's husband, arguing about dinner, he probably doesn't mention the sweater at all....

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think I allude to clothing enough that people have some idea of the character's style of dressing, but certainly not down to a list if the garments and their attributes.

Some books seem to include these details at a matter of course. Historicals especially. But also stories by young writers who know the exact shade of hair chalk and every item of dress their character affects--they them often seem to forget to give this character they obsess over anything interesting to do.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
My guys get battered around a lot so their clothing is sometimes mentioned as being in rags, or hanging from one bloody shoulder, or sliced open across the chest. I also describe clothing when it is being observed by my POV character.

Unless the character is going to his city office job in a jock-strap and wellington boots it's not worth mentioning. Most folk will assume he's wearing a suit and maybe carrying a briefcase.
Well, I wanna read that one!

I thought this tread was going to be about writing while naked.
I thought it was going to be about what is fashionable or useful writer wear.

I so want to bring that back so I can tell my husband he needs to pick his panties up from the bathroom floor. But then, I've always hated the word "panties" anyway. My undies demand more dignity, darn it!
Thanks for that bit of info. I've always hated that word, too. But now I can have some fun with it.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
thongs (which, by the way, is different than what thongs are today :D)

YES! the bloody things are thongs! Not zorries, not flip-flops, THONGS!!

When I first saw the word used in its modern perversion, I wondered how the hell and WTF??!

The same discussion just came up in Another Forum[SUP]TM[/SUP] and ... well, essentially I mention clothing when it's functional to the scene; that is, when it makes some difference -- which may be critical, informative, observational (one character re another) or trivial.

Someone once said that if clothes aren't mentioned, she envisioned the characters naked. :D

And I hate the word "pants" (or "slacks"), unless it's something set in Mundania. In any sort of SF/F, it just seems wrong. I haven't found a good alternative, tho... breeks and britches have their own period connotations, leggings aren't the same thing... *sigh*

Pants are still optional, but recommended for you. -- CmdrTaco

Last edited:

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Right now I'm reading a mystery (cozy-type, not my favorite), which I won. So I figure I ought to read it and give it a fair and honest review.

But every page or so there are pauses to describe who is wearing what. I mean who cares? I am there to read a mystery. I want to be confused, curious, intrigued and try to figure out 'the answer' as I go. These constant stops to describe a button-down shirt, its color and make, and how well it goes with a pair of trousers? Give me a break.

I am rapidly losing interest in this book due to all this fussy clothing description, along with a lot of other details that are just not necessary to the story.

Imo writers who dwell on clothing details - unless it's germane to the story - also dwell on lots of other fussy details, like who is sitting where, and how people move in a scene and a two-sentence description on how someone wads up and throws away a piece of paper. Unnecessary!

Last edited:

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
And I hate the word "pants" (or "slacks"), unless it's something set in Mundania. In any sort of SF/F, it just seems wrong. I haven't found a good alternative, tho... breeks and britches have their own period connotations, leggings aren't the same thing... *sigh*

I can't actually agree more. Trousers is another one that just sounds really weird a lot of time. At one point I went on a massive search to find words for forked butt coverings that weren't any of the listed above, but all were too specific or too archaic.

I've gone the route of just mentioning clothing even less.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I can't actually agree more. Trousers is another one that just sounds really weird a lot of time. At one point I went on a massive search to find words for forked butt coverings that weren't any of the listed above, but all were too specific or too archaic.

Yeah, I've sometimes actively worked around mentioning pants at all, because ...even "forked butt coverings" sounds less off-kilter. Yeah, "trousers" is another I dislike. "Trews" of course hits the Period Thing again. So what the HELL do we call 'em in a non-Earth outer space??

BookmarkUnicorn

does believe in fairies
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader I really love details of clothing and food, so my writing follows the same style I guess. But that said, I hate when a author writes those details very boring and list like. Writing doesn't have to be a shopping list to go into detail :p

Anadalya

Registered
Reaction score

Forked butt coverings... Awesome. :) I do use trousers a little in my story, I couldn't find a better word for it either.

I agree though, writing in clothing should be done only when it's relevant to the story. It would get rather boring to read every characters style or change in clothing all the time. I would understand if maybe it is something specific to a certain race or people that is note worthy, otherwise unless they are MCs and there is a reason for it, it doesn't really matter.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Clothing is part of character, and unless it's a business environment where everyone must wear a suit and tie, no two people dress exactly alike. Clothing description doesn't have to be long and complicated, but writing none says that people are all alike, that they dress all alike, and that clothing really isn't part of character.

Clothing is very much a part of character.

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
Forked butt coverings... Awesome. :) I do use trousers a little in my story, I couldn't find a better word for it either.

I usually default to trousers, too. Sometimes I use breeches instead. Occasionally, I have seen an author use knickers, but that tends to just be short for "knickerbockers" and so is better avoided.

It's a silly language when "forked butt coverings" fits better than some real words. :D

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Occasionally, I have seen an author use knickers, but that tends to just be short for "knickerbockers" and so is better avoided.

Especially if one doesn't want transatlantic translation issues. Or unintentional humor. Or both. :D

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
A friend refers to her feminine hygiene gear as "my unmentionable".

I know someone who for similar reasons, refers to the room containing the toilet as "the euphemism".

When we toured Mount Vernon (George Washington's home in Virginia), the guide told us that the privy or outhouse was often referred to as the "necessary" back then (yes, they've restored that building, though, alas, the tour didn't take us inside). It's such a great term (regardless of whether or not this is true) that some of my more genteel fantasy characters use it.

One of the most bizarrely interesting museum exhibits I've ever seen was on the history of toilets/privies at the York Castle Museum back in the early 2000s. I could have done without the fake poo they had in some of the displays, however. Especially the rather anachronistic corn that was present in some very pre-Columbian models.

On a similar note, there was a Museum of Menstruation and Women's Health in Maryland, though I don't know if it's still open. I've never been there, but it's been featured on such places as the Daily Show and Cracked dot com. They've still got a website, and it's actually pretty well researched and a useful source of information about things like age of menarche and about how women dealt with this issue at various times and places in history.

Last edited:

batesey96

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to only describe clothing in specific situations or events. For instance, when a new character is introduced because it may give a hint to their personality without having to explicitly tell the reader.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
A lot might depend on genre (in fantasy clothing can help show a world and how it is different, in historical same, in romance to showcase how hot your love interest is :D) or a number of things

How someone dresses is part of who they are, part of their character. You can tell (and show :)) a lot about someone from how they dress -- and you can also subvert expectations. Someone who dresses like a tramp but is a millionaire, someone who dresses as sharp as they can but is actually nearly destitute.

So yeah I mention what someone is wearing when and as it seems appropriate (or as the POV would notice it)

But less is more. A whole para detailing what they are wearing -- no I would rarely do that. Sliding in a detail here and there? A sentence or two when we first see them? Yup. As and when it makes a difference -- not just to the plot, but to the story, which includes atmosphere, worldbuilding, giving a snapshot of a character and all kinds of things.

Just because it isn;t relevant to the plot doesn't mean it isn't relevant to the story.

ETA I thin what works for me is when a description gives the POV's impression, rather than a technical list.

he wore black jeans and a t shirt with a blazer over...workmanlike, and has its uses but seriously bland tbh

He wore his suit like an orang-utan wears his skin, baggy and prone to unfortunate wrinkles....works better for me as an image.

As with any description, ive the impression of what you are describing, allow the reader to fill in their own blanks

Last edited:

Nonsuch

All Too Concise and Too Clear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danwiencek.net
It's probably one of those many questions best answered with, "It depends on the writer." Most of the time, clothing description doesn't add much and is best avoided on that basis. On the other hand, Raymond Chandler (to choose an example that comes readily to mind) has loads of sartorial details in his books. In the very first paragraph of The Big Sleep, Philip Marlowe describes what he's wearing. Farewell My Lovely also kicks off with a clothing description — one character wears an overcoat with golf balls for buttons. You can say this has a thematic function, that Chandler is contrasting the often-sumptuous appearance of his characters with the moral rot that actually lies beneath their surfaces. But I think the simple fact is that he noticed that kind of thing and liked to write about it, and he was good enough to pull it off. That last bit is the tricky one.

Status
Not open for further replies.