Rejectomancy

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
2 day personal from Plasma Frequency. Actually, it was a form witha personal P.S. Also the second rejection I've gotten that included a smiley face :)

They said they liked my writing, but the story lacked any actual conflict. Looking back, they're right. Rewrite is in order, after which it's going straight back out.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Weird, just had a nice and detailed personal from an agent after sending my full novel to them. Only thing is, she already sent a nice and detailed personal before xmas? Was my novel that forgettable?

Did she say completely different things the second time around? :)

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
The first time she commented on the friendship between the two MCs and how it was moving, but ultimately they wouldn't be able to place it.

Second time she commented on how it was a good portrayal of the seedy life of wannabes and the preposterously glamorous life of footballers, but ultimately there wasn't enough of a story.

The really glaring difference though, was that the first email ended with a sly plug for a self publishing press but the second one didn't. I have now developed a raging conspiracy theory that one of the admin staff in the office forged the first email to try and get me to use her publishing company... Perhaps she took me for my wannabe protagonist and thought it'd be an easy buck?

Last edited:

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
The first time she commented on the friendship between the two MCs and how it was moving, but ultimately they wouldn't be able to place it.

Second time she commented on how it was a good portrayal of the seedy life of wannabes and the preposterously glamourous life of footballers, but ultimately there wasn't enough of a story...

Your conspiracy theory might have something to it. It does sound as though maybe it was read by two different people. It's hard to believe that someone would forget an entire story so fast.

Sorry about the R, in any case, and to everyone else beginning the New Year with Rs.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Blurgh. 102-day rejection from Stupefying Stories on one that was being held for consideration. Very nice personal from Mr. Bethke, but I was hopeful for this one. My New Year's optimism had me rubbing my palms together.

Oh well. On to the next.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
3-day form from Three Penny Review.

!92-day personal rejection from Zoetrope. I letter came from the editor and was probably the nicest rejection I have received.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
And another one... 5-day form rejection from the Chicago Review.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Blurgh. 102-day rejection from Stupefying Stories on one that was being held for consideration. Very nice personal from Mr. Bethke, but I was hopeful for this one. My New Year's optimism had me rubbing my palms together.

Oh well. On to the next.

Sorry about that one, JW. Better luck with the next market.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Finally got my rejection from First Stop Fiction. They apologized again for my story sitting in their spam folder for a month :Shrug: And followed up with some very nice things to say about my story, commenting that genre pieces are just tough sells there.

Oh well, off to the next market.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Form rejection from F&SF today. It was a lower form ('didn't hold my interest') from Stephan Mazur, which was too bad as usually I at least get the slightly nicer form ('didn't quite work for'). At least I know for sure there's a tier now.

Luckily, it was only one of two letters in my mailbox when I came home, and the other one...Well, I guess I better post about that one in braggage thread :D.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Form rejection from F&SF today. It was a lower form ('didn't hold my interest') from Stephan Mazur, which was too bad as usually I at least get the slightly nicer form ('didn't quite work for'). At least I know for sure there's a tier now.

Luckily, it was only one of two letters in my mailbox when I came home, and the other one...Well, I guess I better post about that one in braggage thread :D.

How long was your turnaround from F&SF? I've had a story sitting there for longer than usual...

*goes off to check out the braggage thread*

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
26-day form R from FFO for a piece I'm afraid is going to be hard to place.

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
46 day form R from Through the Gate. 1st issue, 1 day acceptance; now, can't seem to get it right for this editor. Doesn't help he changed the guidelines between issues and didn't fully update website and Duotrope. Frustrating. :/

10 poems rejected from the same editor w/in five months...going to hang up my hat with him for awhile and take a breather.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was a longer wait: 30 days when usually they get back to me in two weeks. I blame the holidays.

Oh bummer, I was hoping I made it past the slush. But I'm at only 25 days. So used to 10-15 day responses from them! I'm sure you're right and the delay is due to the holidays.

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
3-day form from Three Penny Review.

!92-day personal rejection from Zoetrope. I letter came from the editor and was probably the nicest rejection I have received.

I might be tempted to frame the Zoetrope R. That's very impressive!