• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
You just propelled this thread into a long diarrhea of puns, mesuspects.

caw

---

Personally, a touch of Montezuma's is always good for a solid self-cleaning. Colon cleansing can be a rather liberating feeling.:D

Revisions are my life. I have a friend who's helping me with Picture (im) perfect and I'm revising Star Maps on my own. My biggest problem is with the narrative and how much to write and descriptors. I have to learn that less can be more and sparseness is a virtue.

Varthikes

Dragon Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Draconia, Orion's Arm, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way G
My next two books are being beta-read at the moment. While I await feedback, I started working on my fourth novel--a major re-write of a story I wrote 11-12 years ago. It's a time-travel story that will explore 5 different time frames (including the one my main characters start in). One of the time frames will be Earth, circa 65 Million BC, covering the famous asteroid impact. That will require a bit of research.

Right now, the Main Character is listening to the news. I'm trying to decide what to call the news network. I was going to use BBC, but I'm wondering if I should invent my own. International Broadcasting Company (INBC) or Worldwide Broadcasting Network (WWBN), perhaps.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
EVERYONE IS OUT OF THE HOUSE TODAY. I have until 4pm to write uninterrupted. Days like this are becoming increasingly rarer and rarer.

Welp, I did great. Got the 9th draft of my WIP DONE. I'm going to read it out loud in front of a mirror once, make one last round of final edits on that, and then beta time. :D

I also don't get to see my family that much. We live 3000 miles away, so I only see them once a year, and I see them August 1st this year! I'm really excited to let my mom read this story. She doesn't know I'm a writer (I've hidden it from her my whole life) but this story is right up her alley and I know she'd like it. I'm going to show it to her, and not expect anything in return. (I've heard of authors giving stories to friends and family, and then those people never end up reading the stories. Bummer.) So if she doesn't get to reading it, I'll be okay with that. Still, I hope she does, because if she does she'll really like it.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Earlier I went to open my master document for my 61k WIP, and it said "File cannot be opened, missing index file" or something like that.

:Jaw:
Everything I had was in that document. I had one copy saved, but that wouldn't open either. I have bits and pieces of it saved to other files, but this was the most up-to-date document with at least 15k of new stuff that wasn't saved anywhere else. I almost lost it.

Spent about an hour googling solutions, and finally got the file back! :Hail: You can bet I am saving it to about ten different formats this time, including google docs, yarny, scrivener, notepad, email, CD, etc.

I remember one time when I was writing in google docs. Google docs saves as you go, so every 3 seconds or so it automatically saves for you. There's no need to go to file--->save or any commands like that. It saves as you're typing. Which is great. Or so I thought.

I had the whole 60k highlighted for some reason and accidentally hit delete. Of course, within three seconds it saved my "work" aka: my blank document. Then I panicked and went to hit undo but for some crazy reason (I was panicking!) I closed the file. I think I aged six years in the time it took me to reopen the blank file and stare at the empty screen.

I lost a bunch of work, but I had backed it up only a week ago, so not too much was lost.

But damn it, I've never gone without backing up my stories in multiple places after that. Google docs, MS word, email stories to myself, I have an external harddrive, and thumbdrives. Sometimes I even print them out and put them in a file cabinet in case there's a massive black out or something.

Losing work is such a bad feeling. :( It instantly kills any and all creativity for about a week (for me at least)

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I remember one time when I was writing in google docs. Google docs saves as you go, so every 3 seconds or so it automatically saves for you. There's no need to go to file--->save or any commands like that. It saves as you're typing. Which is great. Or so I thought.

I had the whole 60k highlighted for some reason and accidentally hit delete. Of course, within three seconds it saved my "work" aka: my blank document. Then I panicked and went to hit undo but for some crazy reason (I was panicking!) I closed the file. I think I aged six years in the time it took me to reopen the blank file and stare at the empty screen.

I lost a bunch of work, but I had backed it up only a week ago, so not too much was lost.

But damn it, I've never gone without backing up my stories in multiple places after that. Google docs, MS word, email stories to myself, I have an external harddrive, and thumbdrives. Sometimes I even print them out and put them in a file cabinet in case there's a massive black out or something.

Losing work is such a bad feeling. :( It instantly kills any and all creativity for about a week (for me at least)

Ouch! You didn't have to lose anything, though. In Google Docs, under File, there's something that says "See revision history." Click on that, and it will bring up previous versions of your document in a sidebar on the right. If you'd clicked on the most recent version before your accidental delete, it would have brought it up and given you the option to restore that version.

Something people should know in case it happens to them!

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch! You didn't have to lose anything, though. In Google Docs, under File, there's something that says "See revision history." Click on that, and it will bring up previous versions of your document in a sidebar on the right. If you'd clicked on the most recent version before your accidental delete, it would have brought it up and given you the option to restore that version.

Something people should know in case it happens to them!

*LE GASP*

RJKL WAEUFA89ER4TYHRU4 AEOWJF I wish I knew this six months ago when it happened!! Thanks for spreading the word. I feel kinda dumb now. :D

GraemeTollins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tollins.blogspot.de
My WIP, which needed major revisions, now does not seem like an angry giant standing on a hill tempting me to come play with it.
That old chestnut about "one bit at a time" has really helped me keep my sanity, because I was getting near to that awful stage of overwhelm - first time I have experienced it.
Nice to feel totally back on track and see that my story is twice as good as it was, now that I have put the effort in and stayed relatively optimistic.

Phew. This writing lark. Who'd try that?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I worry I'm not doing enough. I try to write at least 500 words a day. But it's hard to even do that. It's not like I'm not interested. I am, then it fades, then I am again. I don't have much discipline for this one. I am happy I made it up to 50K again. I had to chop 10K and felt miserable doing it, but it just wasn't working anymore.

Then that marketing crap. I try to do as much as possible, but I can only do so much until I wane on that too. Nothing I do lasts long, I keep doing a round robin with everything. I can NOT multitask for the life of me.

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
I really need to stop pining over one of my dead characters.
You killed him! Get over it. It was the best thing for the plot.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've about reached that point where re-editing has reached the point of diminishing returns, and I'm just waiting for a couple of beta readers to finish up. I'm now shading over from preparation into avoidance.

Now I have to start re-re-re-reading all the FAQs, going through all the threads, figuring out agent vs publisher, query letters, yadda yadda, argh!

Michelle D.

Registered
Reaction score
the climax. whether the climax works. whether it's a big enough reversal to make it a good story. since it's a memoir, i have to stick to reality.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
This January I wrote a short story. It was cute, about two brothers. I liked it a lot. I started editing it, and editing it, and editing it, and gave it to betas and edited it some more. Now I'm on the 12th draft and I just checked the word count.

It just crossed 30k. Geez! When did that happen!?!

Michelle D.

Registered
Reaction score
You know, like Facebook? But instead it's AWbook...lol

Anyway, I thought I would start a thread like that since I haven't seen one. If there is one, you can move this then.

What's on my mind about my writing? Well a lot. I can't seem to stop thinking about writing. Sometimes it sucks thinking about it so much and writing too on top of it! ha!

Anyway, I'm writing my 5th novel right now. It's my third YA book. My first two are with my agent, which she's been great about. I was blessed to find one to represent both of my YAs. So I figured to write another while I wait on my submissions. I'm up to 38K words and nearing the end. I'm hoping to get it up to 50 but I feel like I barely have 10 left in me. I wrote an outline which is helping too but I feel like I'm crawling to write out the rest of it now.

Usually I write out 2,000 words a day, but lately it's barely 500. It seems like I can only do 500 in a sitting and then I get antsy to read it and look back on it. Like I said, I have an outline, and notes and I'm up to the 19th chapter, but I feel like I am forgetting what I write, it's nuts. Then the rest of the time, when I'm not writing, I friggin' thinking about writing. Like I said, it sucks. It's this ficious circle. And I know it won't stop till the novels is actually done, which could be a couple more months.

Anyway, your turn...

What's on your mind about your writing?

i worry that i don't write enough words too. that i'm too slow of a writer. i'm really slow!! i envy ppl who can write fast and write well. if i write fast, i write crap.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The more I revise my query letter, the worse it gets (and the more it stops resembling the book).

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
4 years and I'm finally getting close to my MC's voice. It's the first book I've written and I'm really determined to make it publishable. I've pushed it aside and finished other stories before, but I never gave up on it.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
I actually got some work done today. I've been fighting depression since the middle of May, and I've hit the snaggliest (is that a word?) part of the draft, but I'm determined to finish. I'm almost there. I just need a little more faith, and a lot more energy. I can do it.

Dammit.

Andrea Rittschof

Registered
Reaction score
I think about whether I'm going to get somewhere where my writing, in general, is better or if I'm just not learning enough. Right now, I'm doing revisions and concentrating on them, I can see how much better I can make the story but I wonder if it's ever going to be easier or if I just will always have to piece it all back together. It's okay if I do, that may be my style but I do wonder. I am enjoying the process better than I used to now that I am working on revising my second novel but I also wonder what mistakes I'll see when I go back to that first one.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Wrestling with the idea that it may be better for my series if a major character dies at the end of Book 1 instead of Book 2. If I keep him alive, the MC gets more self-discovery. If I kill him, the story gets a faster-moving plot. Much of what I had plotted for the second book will work with the MC alone and streamline things considerably, but damn. This is one darling it's going to be hard to kill.

I may even have to write the end of this book both ways before I can be sure.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
So annoyed. Woke up this morning with my "grown-up brain" fully engaged.

I was really encouraged by the progress I was making on my humorous (hopefully) MG fantasy. Reading back over some of it today, all I can think is "That is SO juvenile!!!"

GGAAARRRR!

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I need to read more. I don't improve if I don't read something new. Re-reading only seems to help for small improvements, but nothing gets my brain going like a book. Right now, it's due to a lack of time and a lack something grabby to read.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Still working on my query letter. Getting mixed reviews on the latest one. Some people like it. Others don't. At least that's an improvement from no one liking it.