• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Multiple questions in one sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alzarakh

Registered
Reaction score
How would you properly write multiple questions in one sentence? I'm having a bit of trouble finding this one out. Sort of like when someone gets excited and fires off a few questions in a row.

It'll be used in dialogue, are either of these correct?

"Techies, what did they look like, who were they?"
"Techies? What did they look like? Who were they?

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
The second. Every question should be punctuated with a question mark if the question can stand on its own; in its own sentence.

Amanda Harper

Lurking fish.
Registered
Reaction score
Thirded (or fourthed). I would definitely go for the second option.

In that case, you'd be asking several questions in several sentences, not one. "Who were they and what did they look like?" would work if you wanted one sentence, but it takes away that sense of "urgency" which the second option gives.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The second.

Now, there are places where you can put multiple questions in one sentence.

For example:

Do you want to go to the party, or do you have to work tonight?

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
It'll be used in dialogue, are either of these correct?

"Techies, what did they look like, who were they?"
"Techies? What did they look like? Who were they?

Both are correct, or neither is correct, depending on the intended meaning.

When I read the first sentence the first time, I thought some techies were being asked "what did they look like, who were they? This was due to the comma after, "Techies." After reading the second example, I concluded that techies were the subject of the queries. In that case, I would right it this way:

"Techies. What did they look like? Who were they?" (without the question mark after "Techies")

On the other hand, if someone said to the speaker, "There are a bunch of techies outside," then the speaker might say:

"Techies? What did they look like? Who were they?" (with the question mark)

You've asked us to punctuate a sentence without giving us the context, and context is important in this case.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Yup - I agree with guttersquid. I didn't read the two sentences in the same way. The first sentence seems to be addressed to the Techies and I did not know who "they" were.

The second sentence might be addressed to the Techies or it could be addressed to someone who may have seen the Techies. The Techies may or may not be the "they" in the second and third sentences.

Can't say which of the two versions is correct without extra information, but on general principles I prefer the style of the second.

Alzarakh

Registered
Reaction score
The context is a response to another character.

"... Wait, there were techies on the news feed today." (They're just chatting on the way to a presentation where the character remembers seeing the Techies, his friend wants to become a Techie)

"Techies?" (Suprised question, Techies are rare) "Who were they?" (Hoping his friend would know, Techies are famous but elusive at the same time) "What did they look like?" (This character knows what all of the Techies mechs look like so could Identify them by description)

Hope that makes some sense.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely the second, then.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
"Techies" should be a separate sentence, but there's no need to make three sentences out of one, unless you simply want that rhythm.

"Techies? What did they look like, and who were they?"

You can use one question mark to cover an unlimited number of questions, as long as they relate to each other, and aren't confusing. It's always about rhythm and flow. You have to trust your ear. The grammar is correct either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.