Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Now We're Cookin'!
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #26
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smish View Post
I'll be bringing the green bean casserole and the pumpkin pie.
Honestly, I don't know how I missed the green bean casserole thing.

I noticed that out here in Western Washington not only do all the grocery stores have end-caps with the ingredients, but even Trader Joe's does, right down to TJ-branded French Fried Onions.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #27
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not having many people around (my wife, my adult son, and myself), I'm planning a simple, nontraditional, nutritious meal: A big crockpot roast with vegetables, cooked slowly all day, and some cornbread. I need to find a good-sized lamb roast tomorrow, and if I can't do that, go for beef. Marinate it overnight Wednesday with some wine, herbs and pepper, then crockpot it all day at low heat with chopped potatoes (from my garden), celery, carrots, brussel sprouts, bok choi, rutabaga, onion, parsnip, daikon radish) in a beef broth with some barley and quinoa added.

Always gets eaten, great for leftovers.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #28
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Blac, next time you do a beef roast in the Crock-Pot, try adding stout instead of wine (I prefer Murphy's to Guinness, personally). I promise you won't regret it.

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #29
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
Blac, next time you do a beef roast in the Crock-Pot, try adding stout instead of wine (I prefer Murphy's to Guinness, personally). I promise you won't regret it.
Actually, I have decided to do exactly that. Bought some Guinness just today. Haven't tried Murphy's, but another really good one is the American Deschutes' Obsidian Stout.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #30
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
Actually, I have decided to do exactly that. Bought some Guinness just today. Haven't tried Murphy's, but another really good one is the American Deschutes' Obsidian Stout.

caw

Oooh, oooh! Please let me know what you think!

The Guiness/Murphy's thing is more sentiment, I think, since Murphy's was the first stout I ever tried. But I do notice a flavor difference between the two, and I do prefer the Murphy's, though if the store only has Guinness I don't usually bother making a special trip elsewhere.

I used to occasionally drink Spaten Optimator, because who can resist a beer called "Optimator?" (Plus it's quite good.) But I've never cooked with it; it's very hard to find. I'll keep an eye out for the Obsidian Stout.

Warning: For the first half-hour/hour or so the beer won't smell great, and you'll wonder if you made a huge mistake. It'll get better, I promise, and by the end of the next hour or so your mouth will be watering.

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #31
Thump
defying grabbity

Thump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolness
Sometimes it's not possible to say "enough is enough". In my family, I'm the only one who can cook anything beyond the daily basics. If I refused to do the holidays, my family would eat supermarket pizza and ice-cream :-/ Not very festive...

Also, they're never all happy, someone always complains about the food and dad grumbles because he has to do the dishes. Then he and mom will argue because mom tries to help with the dishes. My sisters will disappear to their rooms and computers with not so much as a thanks for the meal and I'll despair for a while and contemplate those brandy truffles.

EVERY.FRELLING.TIME!

And this is with just four other people to feed. If the lady the OP posted about has more than that (likely, most people didn't live the bohemian lifestyle we did and settled far away from our extended fam) and has been doing it for 19 years and never asked for the duty in the first place, well, I can see how she might be exhausted and entitled to complain.

I asked to be the designated 'hostess', I was 13 and tired of the same food for the hols but eaten off the nice china
I'm pretty glad I'm not going to my fam's for the hols this year, can't afford to travel. One of my sisters is coming to visit for Xmas so I'm looking forward to cooking for just two and we have similar tastes so that'll make it so much easier.

Assuming we don't end up pulling each other's hair out... or eyes...

We're so dysfunctional, I know...
I'd say the main lesson to take from Stephen King's working life is: He's never stopped working. He's written sober. He's written drunk. He's written while recovering from horrendous injuries. He's written while working maggotty laundry jobs. He's written on long after he could have snuggled down into his royalties for the rest of his life.

Damn good lesson, that.
Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #32
Lyv
looking beyond intentions

Lyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputationLyv has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandshadow View Post
I believe peach trees have been bred to have significantly greater cold tolerance in just the last 50 years, maybe less. It's wonderful - I have a dwarf peach in my zone 6A front yard, not sheltered from the elements at all, and every year it bears so much fruit the branches can barely support the weight.
That is so cool!
Lyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #33
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post

caw
Please do let us know what you think of it. I'm sensing it ought to be wonderous.

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #34
Ol' Fashioned Girl
I can haz Christmas?
AW Moderator

Ol' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
I have done this with stout, with wine, and with beer. Oh, lausy! It's GOOD. The meat falls apart and it's great on mashed potatoes, on noodles, on gnocchi, on rice, on bread... YUM.

Carry on.

Click us... come on! Click us. You want to. You know you do.
Ol' Fashioned Girl is offline   Reply With Quote