The NFL 2012 Season

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
How in the world did the Bills manage to lose that game that badly? There's no excuse for collapsing like that in the second half. You can't be up twenty-one to seven and lose fifty-two to twenty-eight.

In other news, Vikings gave more proof that they're real by beating the Lions. Rams pulled off a good upset against the Seahawks. And the Jets couldn't even score a field goal against the 49ers.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Packers and Saints nose 'n nose- Packers up 27-28 with under 5 minutes left in the game. Saints goin for it, on 4th and 2 at midfield- they did it- short pass over the middle- First and 10

Oh, what a heartbreak! Saints kick a 43 yd. fg to go up by one- holding penalty pushes them back ten- then an encroachment gets them five back- But 48 yarder went wide left. Packers practicing ball control, trying to eat up the last two minutes at mid field. I know the saints are in the doghouse- but I always feel like they're a compelling story- winning the Super Bowl after that city was devastated by Katrina.

Last edited:

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I'm surrounded by cheeseheads and all they do is bitch and whine if they aren't winning. I'm a Bear fan. There's a bunch of us at work who are and we usually show some class. The problem is the Packer fans.....geez! Sore losers and even worse winners. Never seen such sore winners.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surrounded by cheeseheads and all they do is bitch and whine if they aren't winning. I'm a Bear fan. There's a bunch of us at work who are and we usually show some class. The problem is the Packer fans.....geez! Sore losers and even worse winners. Never seen such sore winners.

That may be the case in your circle of football associates. But in respect to the members of this site, which some are Packers fans, let's not use such a broad, baseless stroke to color fans of any sports team a certain way.

I don't have the energy, nor the patience, to keep reiterating this warning, but I'll try one more time: No trash talking, please. And that includes derisive remarks toward players and teams and fans and owners and host cities and anything else a reasonable person can think of.

Sharing your passion is fine, admirable even, yet never at the expense of losing sight of your audience while insulting a part of it.

This is my last warning regarding this issue. Next time I'll come in swinging, hard, and no one wants to see that, unless they appreciate a lopsided match in which I'm sure to win.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
An NFL thread with no trash talk? Really? Good luck with that one.
I'm pretty sure you could suffer through that distinction and think of some topics that are worthy of discussion without allowing yourself to flirt with the lowest common denominator of sports talk bullshit.

That's my hope, anyway, not just for you but for this room as a whole.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
An NFL thread with no trash talk? Really? Good luck with that one.

I understand the sentiment, but I think SK does not want it to deteriorate into what sports blogs have become. I avoid reading sports blog comments because they really show the worse of sports fans...

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I love the fact there is no trash talk on this thread. It's a major reason why I come here instead of sports blogs. I can talk NFL without having to deal with flame wars.

I just want to talk football.....

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I just think that kind of thing quickly devolves into silliness. Like a bunch of kids in a schoolyard and pretty soon I'm embarrassed to be part of the conversation.

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
How in the world did the Bills manage to lose that game that badly? There's no excuse for collapsing like that in the second half. You can't be up twenty-one to seven and lose fifty-two to twenty-eight.

I really think the Bills defense just quit in the second half of that game. While it's great that the Pats won, it's not all that satisfying to beat a team who doesn't seem to be making an honest effort.

Not that it showed up on the scoreboard, but the Patriots proved that they are nothing like the elite team that many of the "experts" propped them up to be before the season. The defensive secondary was terrible, there was yet again no pass pressure, and they missed two more field goals.

And I'm getting really tired of Brand Lloyd dropping every pass that hits him in the numbers, but pulling in all these circus catches. Consistency would be nice.

Around the league: What a heartbreaker for the Saints and Panthers. And Miami is playing better than their record suggests. The Jets... ugh. Although I picked the Lions to win, I love that Minnesota is surprising people this year. I didn't get to see the Broncos game, but is Manning finally back to his old self now or was Oakland just bad?

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Redskins = Ugly win, but a win nonetheless *Sigh* :Shrug:

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
The Redskins don't have enough guys getting hurt in the games so they have decided to get the guys hurt in warm ups... What the hell is with that?

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
What happened with that? Did they bang into each other going for the ball?

Robinson was standing on the goal line looking at his shoes. Merriweather was running routes to catch the ball and had his eyes on the ball. Bang crash...Merriweather re injuries his knee and Robinson was knocked out cold. Both were then inactive...

As far as the Redskins, that 30 million salary cap penalty is showing up by the fact that the defense did not get any big name free agents for the secondary in free agency period. And next year won't be any better in that department...

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
I have to hand it to the Bears defense, they played pretty well today.

Marshall finally had a big game.

And Kellen Davis's catch? Not a game changer, but a great catch nonetheless.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
DA BEARS!

Well done boys! Some great plays.

But Dallas really really need to get a running game.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the Bears were awesome...

Of course, anyone who trashes the Cowboys like that are awesome...

So glad the Skins don't have to play them this year...

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the game. Some beautiful defensive play. And Marshall did really well. But I'm looking forward to Matt Forte getting back to his best.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the game. Some beautiful defensive play. And Marshall did really well. But I'm looking forward to Matt Forte getting back to his best.

Great win for the Bears, I mean DA Bears, excuse me. I was hesitant to comment earlier, 'cause I didn't know whether you'd seen it live and didn't wanna be a spoiler. I caught most of the second half- to me, it just looked like Chicago wanted it more. They hit harder, were faster off the ball, just generally played with more fire. In any football game, you can see the contrast in intensities if you watch the line. That said, I'm not sure who had a worse night, Romo or his receivers. Bad, bad night for the Boys.

Congrats to Chicago fans on this thread- Sweet Miranda, of course, who besides her unqualified love for Da Bears, is a big fan of American chocolate. Also, lifelong Bears fan L.Y., and lactose intolerant TedTheewen, whom we hope comes back to the thread.

Heard an interesting statistic last night- the first four weeks of this NFL season have produced more points than any four weeks in NFL history. Also the most td's, and 36 games have been decided by 8 pts or less.

The run game is over. (almost). As much as i like the fast pass game, and as boring as those 2, 3 yrd gains up the middle can be, there is nothing more beautiful than a run from scrimmage that sneaks through a crack in the line, eludes a LB, sidesteps a CB and out maneuvers a Safety for a 65 yd td.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Don't worry about spoiling it for me. If there is a score I don't want to know, I just avoid the thread. Not fair on everyone else to have to wait on me. But thank you for the thought.

And yeah, I miss the run game too. I really hate the little passes over the middle. Yes, they work but lord they are boring to watch. I blame Peyton Manning and it's the main reason I can't stand him.

Anyway....this may be a dumb question but are there so many big scores because the pass game is harder to defend than the running game?

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
The run game is over. (almost). As much as i like the fast pass game, and as boring as those 2, 3 yrd gains up the middle can be, there is nothing more beautiful than a run from scrimmage that sneaks through a crack in the line, eludes a LB, sidesteps a CB and out maneuvers a Safety for a 65 yd td.

A great punt/interception return is also a beautiful to watch. :)

Other than that, I have to agree. As a fan growing up watching running backs like Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, and Marshall Faulk--to name a few--there is something about breaking a long run that is simply electrifying. We'll probably see that from time to time, but not quite as often.

Anyway....this may be a dumb question but are there so many big scores because the pass game is harder to defend than the running game?

Not a dumb question at all.

I don't keep up with the NFL as much as I used to, but I think there may be more than one answer to that question.

A team with a good ball-control run offense keeps opposing offenses off of the field and runs down the game clock. Limiting an opponent's time of possession and controlling the clock tends to hinder the chances of having high-scoring shootouts.

With the shift to a passing attack, the field is "shortened." Most pass completions eat up larger chunks of yardage in comparison to runs, so it is relatively easier to move the ball downfield. There is a higher chance for big plays in the passing game. And if the pass is incomplete, the game clock stops. This all leads to more time being left on the game clock, and more chances for each team to score.

I also think the new rule changes in favor of player safety have affected scoring in the NFL. The rule changes favor offensive players, namely quarterbacks and receivers (which I think is a good thing). The rules (and hefty fines!) may have led players to be a little more cautious in their play, giving the offense the upper hand.

At least that's my take on it.

Last edited: