New Devised Theatre Job, Help!!

clouddog

Registered
Reaction score
I am a new writer, the actors I met at the auditions , workshop and interview are spectacular. I feel like I will stick out a mile for not having ideas and I can't say that is good for a writer.

I am not yet at the stage where I'm flying with my writing and I'm sure if myself and know I will never run out of ideas. In fact in group situations I often freeze or get fright of some kind and have to fall back on relying on everyone else.
I also don't have many ideas, or nothing much good, which also can't be good for a writer. But with a spark of an idea I can write on my laptop and run with ideas until I need another suggestion.
Most of my writing begins from real life with a lot of auto or other biographical and sometimes people terrify me. I have aspergers and schizophrenia. The aspergers makes things difficult in a social group and the schizophrenia makes it necessary to not get too stressed

I am pretty stressed about the whole idea.

I will need to get fitter, so I can be on my feet for a week intensive 10-5 and I really do need help with how to improve my confidence as a writer and theatre person with actual stage able ideas.

They were impressed with my sample writing, and I got through the workshop and interview but if anyone can help by giving me an idea of how to be more sure about my creativity and ideas for exercises I can do?

Is it a good idea to look at a bunch of poems and just open my mind to how I would want to stage them?

I will probably do that, and read about Devised theatre .I'm meeting the writer selected for this company last year, I am a new writer, I've only been writing for theatre for a year and a half or do and I haven't strayed far from autobiography

How can I prepare?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a thought or two . . .

People often point out that ideas are "a dime a dozen." I sometimes joke that the price has gone up and ideas are now 50-cents a dozen due to inflation.

You may be stressing too much about this. Any little spark can be an idea. It's what you do with it that counts.

Try this little experiment. Think of anything, anything at all. One sentence about anything. Now let your mind play with it for a little while. How could this one thing affect a character or something bigger (something like ripples on the water). Don't think of "ideas" as being fully formed when you first think of something; let them be a germ of an idea.

clouddog

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks to you both!

Very helpful responses.

Slowly getting better at calming myself down, it's still difficult though.