Psychological dramas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen Landis

Registered
Reaction score
Do you want to publish?

Haikujitsu, if you want to publish your work, why write fanfic? I don't think you can do it. If you're just writing for the fun of writing, that's another story. My daughter wrote some great fanfic based on a show she was interested (read obsessed) in, and she learned a great deal about writing while doing it. And enjoying feedback from her many readers.

Still, my question: do you want to be published? If so, perhaps you should lend your efforts to something original.

Whatever you do, writing is writing, and I wish you joy of it.

Haikujitsu

Thick Skin, What's That?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Wow, what a loaded question.

The simplest answer would be that I don't have any interest in publishing in the short term, no. In order for this thread not to get too off topic, I'll leave it at that. :)

-Hj

Jones()

Registered
Reaction score
Website
irememberdayton.blogspot.com
In answer to the original question, that's pretty much exactly what I write -- just without horror elements. And maybe more emphasis on relationships than you'd usually find in a psychological drama.

And whenever I try writing another genre, I usually find that the parts I like most are the psychological conflicts and end up stripping out genre specific things. I started writing a teen paranormal romance a few months ago, but dropped the paranormal aspect pretty quickly.

take care,

---Jones()

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I'm doing research on psychological drama in fiction so I cam across it. This is how I would class my fiction. I'm working on revising a novel right now that is about a wealthy family that falls apart during a summer vacation in a swank seaside town when the sous-chef of the hotel they are staying at manipulates her way into the family (in both a psychological way and plot-wise), become the "dark-haired daughter" that the mother has always wanted.

I think that I would classify novels that focus on psychological elements of character, relationship, and situation (and not necessarily in a clinical diagnosis-wise way) as psychological realism. I really appreciate that the OP emphasized that we're not talking about experimental navel-gazing fiction that is disengaged from a coherent storyline. I've always enjoyed novels and films that focus on psychological elements but that also build a good old-fashioned compelling story.

I think a classic example of a psychological drama in film is "The Little Foxes". It's a classic film from the 1940's with Bette Davis based on a play by Lillian Hellman. The dynamics of this Southern family are so compelling.

Djuna

Status
Not open for further replies.