Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Greeting Cards, Bumper Stickers, and Fun Stuff
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How much money do you make an hour writing greeting cards
$0-5 2 66.67%
$6-10 0 0%
$11-15 0 0%
$16+ 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
boganmobile
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

boganmobile is on a distinguished road
Is it really worth writing greeting card and slogans?

Hi,

Is it really worth writing greeting cards and slogans?

At around $50 a pop for those that get accepted - wouldn't your hourly rate be very very low? And uncertain?
boganmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Susie
Thanks, special friend for my avi!
AW's Treasured Chocolate Birthday Lady

Susie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey, boganmobile! to the cooler 'n gc forum. Well, it's not always $50 a pop for a sale to a gc company. Sometimes as in Blue Mtn Arts it's $300 and up if you have more than one acceptance with them. Andrew McMeal pays $200. It's not really done on an hourly rate, unless maybe if you have a job with them. I bet everyone here in the forum feels it's worth it and when we sell a card and share it here, it's the best feeling in the world. Good luck!
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Cabria
AW Moderator

Cabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Suse is right. Just don't quit your day job.

The key to happiness is to compare yourself to none.

Absolute Poetry, Volume 1
by the Poets of Absolute Write
Cabria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
jollyjeff
practical experience, FTW

jollyjeff is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjollyjeff is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjollyjeff is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjollyjeff is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjollyjeff is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjollyjeff is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjollyjeff is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjollyjeff is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I haven't gotten rich writing greeting cards but I've made more money with greeting cards than any other kind of writing. Plus it's a heck of a lot of fun.
Jeff
Old 02-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
rhymegirl
Summer Is Back!

rhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it, too.

However, I am a greeting cardaholic and I just can't stop!!!

It Bloggles the Mind
rhymegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Cabria
AW Moderator

Cabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCabria is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We are a special breed indeed.

The key to happiness is to compare yourself to none.

Absolute Poetry, Volume 1
by the Poets of Absolute Write
Cabria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
Susie

Susie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, everyone here knows how many times I said I would stop, but can't, because that one acceptance is so worth the excitement and the joy of getting paid. It gets in our blood and like Kathy said, we're all cardaholics.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
brad_b
Knight Errant

brad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The world just wouldn't be the same without greeting cards.

"Live and dream of a brighter tomorrow, but live today so as to fulfill that tomorrow."

"Not hammer strokes, but dance of the water sings the pebbles into perfection." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Still round the corner there may wait,
A new road, or a secret gate." - J.R.R. Tolkien

A Knight's Journey Into Doom Quest
brad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
Susie

brad, so nice to 'c' yah here. It's true what you said!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 AM   #10
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Like any other form of writing, it depends on how fast and how good you are.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
AKMARK5000
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

AKMARK5000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
Hey, boganmobile! to the cooler 'n gc forum. Well, it's not always $50 a pop for a sale to a gc company. Sometimes as in Blue Mtn Arts it's $300 and up if you have more than one acceptance with them. Andrew McMeal pays $200. It's not really done on an hourly rate, unless maybe if you have a job with them. I bet everyone here in the forum feels it's worth it and when we sell a card and share it here, it's the best feeling in the world. Good luck!
I've heard of Blue Mountain Arts and recently submitted to them, but I am curious about "Andrew McMeal." I googled it and I think I found the right place, but maybe not. I could not find any submit or query request info... can you point me in the correct link area?

***********AKMARK5000***********
"Ask me again and I'll deny everything."

Last edited by AKMARK5000; 03-08-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Spelling, grammer, format and updated information!!
AKMARK5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
Lavern08
When All Else Fails, Lavern ItŠ

Lavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_b View Post

The world just wouldn't be the same without greeting cards.
I agree...

...I still send them to family and friends, and they look forward to chuckling at my great finds.

Kylabelle:
Laverning is how I get through the long days... (Don't ask about the long nights, just don't)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailD View Post
You haven't lived 'til you've been Laverned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.S. Wiggins View Post
<Wiggins loves Lavern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.F. View Post
---
WRONG! I don't Lavern everything...just most things.
Lavern08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
peg
Greeting Cardiologist

peg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspeg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspeg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspeg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspeg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspeg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspeg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspeg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspeg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspeg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspeg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
AK, here's the link: http://www.andrewsmcmeel.com/cards/index.html

You need to email and request their greeting card verse guidelines. The editor's name is Charlie Colborne, and he is an editor in a million. Everyone here loves him! Here's the address: CColborne@amuniversal.com

You don't have to provide a lot of details; just that you'd like to submit humor and request the guidelines.

Women hold up half the sky.
(not an American saying)

peg is offline   Reply With Quote