Rejectomancy

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting a steady stream of Zombie stories in UFO slush. Most of them read like the characters have already consumed the writers' brains.

ROFL

There are some good ones however. There are three -- count em, three -- zombie-related stories in round 3. And one story that briefly mentions a zombear that I already bought. I mean, how could I not buy a story with a zombear in it??

Oh, yes, you have to buy the one with the zombear. I love it already.

Zombies are intrinsically hilarious, on one level. That's why I like writing the odd zombie story, even if its not comedy. And also why I like watching the odd B-grade movie. :) Maybe I have just got sick and twisted taste. Heh.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have yet to write a zombie story. I wrote a vampire story recently, but it spends more time subverting the vampire tropes than reinforcing them.

As a reader, I just don't get the appeal of zombies. A zombear, on the other hand, is 100% win. And zombie muscle.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
It could have, but in this case the story is decidedly NOT a zombie story (even though it does have a cameo by the zombear) so other zombie submissions in round 3 (and there are THREE of them) are safe from the zombear, but not as safe from each other.

You have a solid advantage in that your zombie story is so short. We could take a longer zombie story AND yours, but will not likely take multiple longer zombie stories.
Ah, good. Okay, so no one else send a short zombie story, got it? :D

I have yet to write a zombie story. I wrote a vampire story recently, but it spends more time subverting the vampire tropes than reinforcing them.

As a reader, I just don't get the appeal of zombies. A zombear, on the other hand, is 100% win. And zombie muscle.
How about a zombie cat? And does zombie muscle = zombie hulk?

I think part of the current appeal of zombies is tied in with the 2012 apocalypse crapola that has the media in a frenzy. And I guess you have to admit, if the world were to end, it'd be somewhat entertaining to see it go down at the hands of the undead. Of course, everyone is imagining themselves with a shotgun, blowing up zombie brains. :D The reality is you'll be stuck up north, freezing your ass off while searching for food.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Just got my Redstone R. It's nice that they've been pretty quick, once they began sending out responses.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Oh good, then we'll just be sweating our ass off while searching for food. :tongue

(And apparently zombies can survive quite well under water.)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Got a PS "tough decision" on my DSF R. Guess it's nice to know it was kind-sorta close. :tongue

More than kinda-sorta, I'd say. Sorry about the R but must be nice to know you were so close at a pro market. Maybe try FFO if it was flash?

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
More than kinda-sorta, I'd say. Sorry about the R but must be nice to know you were so close at a pro market. Maybe try FFO if it was flash?
It's 2,800 words, haha. Gonna try OBH since the story is dark fantasy, then maybe LORE.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Double whammy: 7-day Space and Time, and 1-day UFO.

Last edited:

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. 3-hour "nicely written...didn't quite win me over" form from Lightspeed.

That's amazing. It actually doesn't even sting when the turnaround is that fast!

Does anyone know if the "didn't quite win me over" is still a second tier form? I'd assumed so, but since it came so quickly...

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. 3-hour "nicely written...didn't quite win me over" form from Lightspeed.

That's amazing. It actually doesn't even sting when the turnaround is that fast!

Does anyone know if the "didn't quite win me over" is still a second tier form? I'd assumed so, but since it came so quickly...

Yes, that's a higher-tier form.

Cassiepoe

New Fish; Eager to Swim
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.singularitycity.net
First story on the market - before I started self-pub project - already R'd twice at Lightspeed and Clarkesworld, both within week of sub. Rounding on 60 days with no response but "open" status at Asimov's - pretty sure this means a no go. :/

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First story on the market - before I started self-pub project - already R'd twice at Lightspeed and Clarkesworld, both within week of sub. Rounding on 60 days with no response but "open" status at Asimov's - pretty sure this means a no go. :/

Sheila is behind because of the convention season. At 60 days it most likely hasn't been looked at, yet.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Got my first taste of a FORM R for a second-round story. 56-day Midnight Echo. Previous second-rounders at various markets have received very kind words. Kinda makes one wish it'd been rejected 45 days ago along with the early exits. It could've found a home by now. :/ Dem's da breaks.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Got my first taste of a FORM R for a second-round story. 56-day Midnight Echo. Previous second-rounders at various markets have received very kind words. Kinda makes one wish it'd been rejected 45 days ago along with the early exits. It could've found a home by now. :/ Dem's da breaks.

Bummer. :(

I got an R from them last night, too, but it wasn't even a second-rounder.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Got a R from Midnight Echo as well. No 2nd-round, tho. Also an R from Buzzy. Woohoo! It's raining R's. :D

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Picked up an R from Strange Horizons at 11 days. And 11 day R from Clarkesworld, the longest I've been there!... Of course it's only because they put responses on pause since the 12th until now.

Last edited:

Darkwing

Urghhh, just typed up a reply and my internet decided to go out for a split second just as I clicked "submit."

Anyway. This isn't W1S1 or even fiction related, but I received a rejection for a proposal I'd sent for an MLA conference panel. The panel coordinator said that my thesis was intriguing but other papers fit the panel theme better. I'm not quite sure whether to believe it or just take it as the academic version of a form R. Kinda leaning toward the latter, but maybe that's just because I'm in a mopey mood.

On the fiction front, I should have an R from Clarkesworld in the next few days, considering my story was #267 in the queue yesterday and is now #163. Otherwise I've just got crickets. If I could just finish the story I've been working on, I'd be able to add another to the cricket pile, but that hasn't been going so well. Really not sure if it'll be worth anything once I've finished it. Well, not really sure of myself much at all anymore. :/ (Sorry, just had to vent a little. The past couple of weeks have been really bad for me in terms of writing morale.)

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Large hugs all round.

I have a rejectolanche coming my way any time now. 43 subs out, 3 queries, 6 overdue, one under consideration, 7 in-progress on submittable... Not heard anything all week.