Rejectomancy

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
3-day Nightmare R. I'm beginning to think that's one group of slush readers I just can't connect with. Out of 10 submissions I've only been considered by JJA himself once that I know of.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
3-day Nightmare R. I'm beginning to think that's one group of slush readers I just can't connect with. Out of 10 submissions I've only been considered by JJA himself once that I know of.

1 out of 10 is better than what I've got :tongue

4 day from Read Short Fiction for me

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
13 day rejection from Waylines. Said: We found your idea very interesting, however the matter-of-fact narrative style is, at times, a little at odds with the pace of the story.

Egh. This is another one I keep getting personal notes on, but no acceptance yet. (Shimmer said they'd just acquired something similar, Ideomancer said the idea was apt but the story never surprised them.) >_<

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
No love from the James White Award. No official rejection, but 59-day implied "we don't want it."

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first w1/s1 rejection! (I just started. *waves at everyone*). Atleast there was a personal note in it telling me what he liked and didn't.
Personal notes are good! The best kind of rejections, IMO. Good luck at the next place, Neporsche.
Like this: 'Received a 101-day form rejection from Lamplight today.* Blargh.' (The 'Blargh' is optional). .
Blargh is appropriate, I think. 101 days? Man, I hate those kind.

The Leper's wagon has returned! 6 day form R from Electric Velocipede! Wiped the story clean and sent it out.
There you go!

39-day R from Belladonna's Anthology, Black Apples. Phooey (or should that be blargh?) - I evaded the first round of rejects there and had thought this story might be a good fit for them.
I think blargh works here, too. :tongue

1 out of 10 is better than what I've got :tongue

4 day from Read Short Fiction for me

13 day rejection from Waylines. Said: We found your idea very interesting, however the matter-of-fact narrative style is, at times, a little at odds with the pace of the story.

Egh. This is another one I keep getting personal notes on, but no acceptance yet. (Shimmer said they'd just acquired something similar, Ideomancer said the idea was apt but the story never surprised them.) >_<

No love from the James White Award. No official rejection, but 59-day implied "we don't want it."
Sorry, guys. Some helpful feedback, though, for some of you. Nice to know why something doesn't work there so you're not totally in the dark about why. :Hug2:

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for all the R's everyone. Aggie, good luck with that story next time out; it must be strong if it keeps getting personals.

I've a few crickets due any day now, including on one with content I thought might get it an automatic rejection. Thinking they may have lost it. Hmm. Query time soon.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
173-day form rejection from Analog, for a story I withdrew two months ago. :/

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Big blargh.

10:35 last night R from Green G-cko on the requested rewrite. Editor said I had made the requested revisions but the ending was too 'fantasy' -- not an issue she had mentioned before, but since it was a fantasy story, I'm not sure I could have done much about it.

11:12 pm form R from Strange Horizons for The Clouds in Her Eyes

2:47 am form R from Shock Totem for another favorite story.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
...the ending was too 'fantasy' -- not an issue she had mentioned before...

That's rather poor. Would have been good to know that when asked for a rewrite. Very sorry to hear.

Commiserations on the other two R's as well. I'd be surprised if 'The Clouds in Her Eyes' doesn't find a home somewhere.

Marzioli - I got one of those from Weird Tales last year, a couple of months after I withdrew my story there. Commiserations.

And sorry to you too, MeretSeger, esp after the long wait.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Eliza, ah, the ineffable ways of editors. Condolences. That was a cute story, assuming it's the one I read.

And thanks fihr (and Soapdish from earlier). I had a feeling that's the way they were going to do it. I didn't shed a single tear over that one, but my eyes did do a circle beneath their lids.

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Sorry Marzioli! An eye roll is the right reaction there...just plain annoying.

Sorry Aggie and Meret! Commiserations to those I missed.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the F&SF R, Alex, and form even.

Thanks Renard and Fihr! And Marzioli too. Yes, that was the story you read. Your experience sounded equally confounding.

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
Oof! Sorry to hear about your many-R day, Eliza. And your long F&SF R, Alex!

I've had a flurry of unsurprising form R's myself, most of them for crazy long shots--Zoetrope (26 days), Cicada (59 days), Cricket (56 days), Fantasy Short Stories (115 days--ugh), Glimmer Train (36 days), Tor (a trim 55 days).

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Oof! Sorry to hear about your many-R day, Eliza. And your long F&SF R, Alex!

Seconding this. :Hug2:

I've had a flurry of unsurprising form R's myself, most of them for crazy long shots--Zoetrope (26 days), Cicada (59 days), Cricket (56 days), Fantasy Short Stories (115 days--ugh), Glimmer Train (36 days), Tor (a trim 55 days).

Brynn, I'm sitting in the dark waiting room of long shots, too. In the past two years I've had no less than three G-Train rejections. I'm giving them a rest for now. Kudos to you for all the submissions! And commiserations on the rejectalanche.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
309 day form from The Brooklyn3r. That is my longest ever sub! Nearly made it to a year. Next one in the queue is at 273 days. Will Independent 1nk be able to beat 309? Place your bets!

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
309 day form from The Brooklyn3r. That is my longest ever sub! Nearly made it to a year. Next one in the queue is at 273 days. Will Independent 1nk be able to beat 309? Place your bets!

Sorry to hear about your rejection, PD. That's a looong time to wait for disappointing news.

I'm betting The Bklyn will keep its crown. According to d-trope (don't know if you still have it) the current max for I-1nk pending responses is 625 days (!!). However, the median is a mere 135, so I'd say Mr. or Ms. 625 has either failed to report or is remarkably tenacious. Of course, I'm often wrong, so pay me no mind. :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
6-day form rejection from West Branch and 117-day form rejection from A Public Space. I am a little heartbroken over these. They were my best work.