Opinions About Horror Writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's fascinating - I do get a ton of these critiques, but it's mostly from family members or friends that I let read my work. People who know me well or are supposed to know me well. I wrote a screenplay called Shudder a few years back and before I sold it, I let my mom read it. I wish I took a picture of her face after she read it. Just horrified. But I've gotten to the point where I feel like I've failed if people aren't questioning my sanity after they read one of my horror pieces.

I think you said it all.

Poet of Gore

Banned
Reaction score
It's fascinating - I do get a ton of these critiques, but it's mostly from family members or friends that I let read my work. People who know me well or are supposed to know me well. I wrote a screenplay called Shudder a few years back and before I sold it, I let my mom read it. I wish I took a picture of her face after she read it. Just horrified. But I've gotten to the point where I feel like I've failed if people aren't questioning my sanity after they read one of my horror pieces.

i let my mom read one chapter of a first draft. she asked me if i was afraid of going to hell for writing it.
i took it as a compliment

JimAnnison

The Man on the Clapham Omnibus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yyz2112.wix.com
The truth is that I've never had any negative responses to the fact that I, on occasion, write horror. I've had a fair amount of amazed looks when people find out I write but nothing to do with my choice of genre.

The only real "what are you?" reaction I got was when a friend at work read my first novel. However, that was down to some of the sex scenes (integral to the plot - not at all gratuitous) that were in there.

Poet of Gore

Banned
Reaction score
Well, your mother asked you if you were afraid of going to hell for writing it, right? I didn't see two questions there.

i do see 2 questions, the one in this post and the one in your previous post.
To figure this out easily you just count the ?
my mom also told me to learn something new every day

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
If it's asked in a way that let's me shrug, say, 'The banality of evil,' and then vanish into a crowd because I look just like everyone else, I call that a good day.

(Never worked when I lived abroad, and so did NOT look like everybody else, and had to pull out my pocket dictionary so I could explain what 'banality' meant).

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
Stephen King might go well with fava beans and a nice chianti.

Should we move this to the cooking section? ;)
I don't know, I think the van might've over-tenderized him...

(I seem to be on a kick re-reading threads I've already gone through... :p)

jmichaelfavreau

Smells like bacon
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've had one or two of those said to me, but the reality is, it's all imagination. My books give me an opportunity to explore these things I would never get/want to see or do which is why I like Horror/Suspense, and writing, so much.

This image from the Walking Dead is a perfect example. We all think we're Ricks, but we're all really just Eugenes :D

tumblr_inline_nddw8zmVrB1rkw28s.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.