Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

If you have a book coming out or other news this coming April, can you let me know? One of the womens mags I write for has asked for news-pegged pitches for the April issue and I would love to pitch some of my beloved Purgies. Love y'all.

Hope to catch up this w/e... as those of you who are my fb friends know, I'm doing this crazy sleep-depriving schedule while my little gal starts her insulin pump. So I am super out of touch and freakin tired! :) but get to catch up this w/e.

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
Caleb, I'm lucky because my immediate family shares the majority of my views (although I'm still probably liberal-er), but I have quite a lot of fringe family members who are very conservative and very dramatic about it (funny how that often goes together, huh?) Honestly, my best advice (not that you asked for it-ha!) is to take them off your wall. They'll still be on your friends list, but you won't have to see the hatefulness. I know it's kind of a passive way of dealing with things, but for me, at this point in my life, I know who's going to change and who isn't. And it's better for my personal well-being to be surrounded by people who either share my views, or are respectful of my views (and of me) enough to not spew hate where I'm going to see it.

So that's what's worked for me, anyway.

As for the Halloween creepery, I like to think of ridiculous "sexy" versions of things that aren't sexy at all, like a Sexy Stay-Puffed Marshmallow. At the very least, you'll mess with some people's heads ;)

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
I'm lucky, in my family, that we are all fed up with politics period. We saw problems for both sides, so it didn't matter to us which candidate won because when it came down to it, either way and we're going to get screwed.

But, you don't see us pounding the net with out opinions and berating people who think differently than us. I think there are just a whole craplode of a**hats in this country. Some of them, members of my extended family.

I saw a T-shirt in a catalog yesterday that seems fitting. It reads: "What's the difference between Outlaws and Inlaws? Outlaws are wanted."

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa, what time shall I arrive with sandwiches and a bottle of wine? The day's packing is going to end at some point, right?

Maryn, who knows just what to do when it does

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
I spent years exiled from my family, Caleb. It's a long story, but essentially, while it was necessary for me to be healthy and raise my kids the way I did, it was painful. Sending you hugs. Maybe one day they'll wake up and see how they are hurting people that matter to them. Until then take care of yourself.

Steve and Snappy, I'm not clear on why there are gasoline shortages. Are there that many damaged gas stations, or difficulties getting the gas to port, or simply extra requirements? Is this likely to be a long-term deal? Sorry for all the challenges.

Morg@n Spurl0ck is doing a movie on the feminization of men. (Can't remember the name.) I guess he documents the increased "need" for moisturizers and exfoliants and the whole shebang. I'll have to see the movie before I pass judgment, of course, but as I was reading the blurb I had two thoughts:
--it's about ****ing time that men knew what it's like to be comodified and judged, so certain firms can meet their shareholders' expectations
--how sad that instead of women being released from this hyperconsciousness of appearance, that men are joining us in the insanity.

ETA: In case it's not obvious, the above paragraph was in reference to the hypersexualization discussion.

EETA: Also thought it was interesting he called it the "feminization" of men. Thought that said a great deal about gender roles.

Last edited:

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
I've really liked some of his stuff, Haupe, and thought other stuff was ridiculous. So I'll reserve judgement too. Definitely sounds a bit gimmicky to me. Also, weren't men worse than women in terms of their outward appearance for centuries?

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
haupe - the gas shortages are from a few things. two of our biggest refineries were without power for a very long time and many gas stations are still without power. plus, roads were not all clear for deliveries. they say it's less of a gas shortage and more of an electricity shortage.

snappy and steve - the rationing/license plate thing really helped the gas lines a lot. they are already getting shorter here. about 20 mins now as opposed to 3-4 hours last week.

ol - i moved sooo mnay times when i was younger and packing never gets easier/fun. hate it. good luck finishing!

kris - hope it's going well with the insulin pump!

Last edited:

NIYRAK

Plot Ninja's on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Doing NaNo writing tonight at my Writer's Association meeting. ... 1,054 words so far... yeah, I only need ...well... crap... A LOT... (I am too embarrassed to post) so yeah, back to it...

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing, but have to stop and figure out stuff. Which I do in the back of my brain. I aaaalmost have it, just not quite. Off to watch TV, which is banal enough to not interfere with thinking in the back of my brain. :)

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing NaNo too and I got 2,200 words today. Yay!!!

The bad news? That's ALL I HAVE :( I got hit with a bad cold Nov 1st so I haven't been able to write anything coherent until now.

BUT I'm back with a vengeance ;) I just have some catching up to do.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the cold, Moonfairee.

I give props for all yall attempting Nano. You win even when you lose -- writing is good, 40,000 words or not.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
kell, my thoughts exactly.

there are no losers in nano.
and def not in faux nano!

congrats to all writing!

i know phoenix is doing great
and KT is kicking arse!

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

I squeezed in some writing yesterday after all. Today, I'm off to a craft show to hopefully find a present for a friend, then I'm off to the movies and lunch. Should be fun.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What movie will you see, sammy?

We want to see the new James Bond, but we're so averse to crowds we'll wait until next weekend, or later.

I'm in a kind of a funk which highlights what a not-so-great person I am. A friend whose life has been lousy as a direct result of her terrible choices has made some big improvements. She's entitled to crow about getting her home more organized and losing weight. But I am ugly-jealous as I sit with my fat ass amidst chaos.

The Kid, insightful as always, asked if I would consider even for a moment swapping lives, and of course I would not, but still...

Maryn, streaked with green

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
mmrghl.... Got up at 6:15 to take kiddo to early make-up Driver's Ed class. He missed 2 weeks ago because of the SAT. (Which he kicked butt on--improved his total score from 1770 to 1850. for someone who freezes on tests AND whose essays ramble off into tangents till he runs out of time, this is awesomesauce. We were quite profligate with praise for his efforts.)

So, I got grocery shopping done in a mostly empty store. (Dear Wegmans: Your "loyal customers" HATE LIKE POISON the fact that you're rearranging the entire frickin store! :rant:)

I'm all set up to bake 2 pumpkin pies (scratch crusts, TYVM) , cupcakes for the non-pumpkin pie eaters, and a 20-lb turkey is defrosting in the sink. Only real trouble is, I'll have to get up wicked early tomorrow too, to put the thing in the oven for us to eat at 12:30-ish.

I can has espresso nao, pls?

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Morning Purgies!

Been a long week. I was up at kiddo #2's college town, where I happened to have business meetings, and was able to have dinner and lunch with her. It was a watershed event. 5 hours together and she didn't irritate me a single time. Apparently Mom and I are exiting the stupid phase of our life, and we can have intelligent conversations again.

Lynne's at a funeral this morning - our pediatrician's husband died from cancer at the age of 40. So sad, leaving behind a wife and 2 kids under the age of 10. I'm home with Brett, about to dive into Book 2. I thought it was done, but Lynne read it and said it got off to a slow start, which is bad for what is supposed to be a fast-paced thriller. I've been fermenting on it - she's right - and I have an idea on how to fix it, which is this weekend's project.

(((Kasey and her family)))

(((Lisa's move)))

(((Sammy's neck)))

(((Cindy's shoulder)))

(((Moonfairee's cold)))

(((Steve's gas)))

(((Kris and little Kris))) Good luck with the insulin pump.

Kell - vamp dust for your on-line promos!

All you NaNo'ers - good luck with the wordage!

*crawls into cave, rolls stone across entrance*
I'll check on you in 3 days.

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
I've really liked some of his stuff, Haupe, and thought other stuff was ridiculous. So I'll reserve judgement too. Definitely sounds a bit gimmicky to me. Also, weren't men worse than women in terms of their outward appearance for centuries?
He's definitely got an eye for hooky premises. I enjoyed FFN. Re historical comparisons: not according to my reading, though I'll be the first to say it's limited to mostly North American and west European fiction, so hardly reliable. Maybe Elisabetta will chime in.

JennW, thanks for info. That makes perfect sense.

Lily, you're a machine.

Rick, :) I have moments where I'm higher than pond scum in my kids' hierarchy. Moments.

Elisabetta

Watching the world go by
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethloupas.com
He's definitely got an eye for hooky premises. I enjoyed FFN. Re historical comparisons: not according to my reading, though I'll be the first to say it's limited to mostly North American and west European fiction, so hardly reliable. Maybe Elisabetta will chime in.

Oh my goodness, yes, there have been many eras where men were at least as peacock-y as women, if not more so. Look at Henry VIII and his jeweled codpieces. All of Elizabeth I's glittery perfumed gentlemen--they came to court in all their finery while their wives stayed home in the country. The Stuarts. Oliver Cromwell brought in a sober interlude, but that only led to the Restoration and Charles II with his huge curly black wigs and all his wild gentlemen in patches and powders, outdressing their actress friends. In France, look at Francois I and Louis XIV, XV, and XVI, right up until the Revolution. In Italy... well, you know what they say about those crazy Italians. The clothes, jewels and maquillage of the gentlemen are legendary. The Book of the Courtier goes on and on about how a nobleman must groom and dress himself, and behave with elegant courtesy and delicate table manners.

*Looks around for a smilie with a wig and a codpiece.*

Status
Not open for further replies.