List of Agents who take Graphic Novel queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aristocrazy

The Paperclip 2 your MS Word
Registered
Reaction score
Note to self - must remember to include sweatshops in all the antagonists houses. Diplomats must also travel the island in electric cars!

@plum: ya, the password is vista~ there's a newbie artist in the newbie area if your interested as well.

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Here's someone else: Jason Yarn

Can you let me know where you saw that he represents graphic novels? From here I see that Lydia Wells from the same agency has represented at least three graphic novels, so I'll add her to the list, but I'd love to see what he's been involved with (or a sign that he wants to represent them!) before I add him.

I'll try to update it tomorrow- I found another agent a few days ago, too!

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Okay, the main list has been updated! I added Paradigm (good luck with your partial, Miss Plum!) and Rodeen Literary Management.

Anyone with a YA or younger project, be sure to check him out-- his site says he's interested in both graphic novels and comic books, so if your project works best in pamphlet form, he may be the guy for you.

Thanks Elae!
I queried two from this list. I thought I had run out of agents!

I thought the same thing when I was querying, that's what led me to put the list together! I'd be at the end of my list of names, then stumble on one or two more. There are so many agents out there, but none of the websites dedicated to querying had a comprehensive list for graphic novels. So I'm glad it's doing its job!

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Hey, just found this interview with Kelly Sonnack, which has some info on graphic novel projects she reps and how to submit to her.

GLA: When you get a graphic novel submission, what do you like to see in the submission itself? Just the query? 10 pages?

KS: At the AB Agency, we only accept e-mail submissions, so I would want to see the query letter e-mailed to me (listing any credentials), and then the first 10 pages copied into the body of the e-mail. If there is accompanying sample art, that can be pasted into the message as well.

GLA: Do writers have to finish a graphic novel before querying you? Or can they just have a good synopsis?

KS: The text needs to be completed but the art shouldn’t be since there are sure to be future changes suggested by myself or an editor.

Sounds like you don't need to have an artist attached when querying her.

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Another update!

PJ Mark, of McCormick & Williams. He represents Craig Thompson (Blankets) and David Heatley, both of whom are published by Pantheon. He also represents Mike Dawson (Freddie & Me, out from Bloomsbury). All three are memoirs. Derek Kirk Kim's Same Difference and Other Stories is also listed on the site, though I'm not sure if he still represents him or not.

They don't take e-queries, though!

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Can you let me know where you saw that he represents graphic novels? From here I see that Lydia Wells from the same agency has represented at least three graphic novels, so I'll add her to the list, but I'd love to see what he's been involved with (or a sign that he wants to represent them!) before I add him.

I'll try to update it tomorrow- I found another agent a few days ago, too!

I saw him on the Beware thread, where I was rather astonished to see that any agent from Paradigm was taking queries. So I popped him one for my GN, and he said "Please send."

Practically everyone on the thread said they'd gotten a Please Send from him, so I'm not too excited. He seems to be vacuuming up queries.

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
I saw him on the Beware thread, where I was rather astonished to see that any agent from Paradigm was taking queries. So I popped him one for my GN, and he said "Please send."

Practically everyone on the thread said they'd gotten a Please Send from him, so I'm not too excited. He seems to be vacuuming up queries.

Good luck! Let us know what he thinks, and if he says anything more about GNs :)

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'll provide some notes here on querying without art, which is what I did. He initially responded thus:

Thank you for getting in touch with your query. I’m intrigued, but I have a few questions before I can ask to see more material…

- Are you artist as well as the writer?

- What audience do you see this for – YA or Adult?

- Depending on your knowledge of the different publishers, would you say your work is suited to book publishers like HarperCollins and Random House, or would it fall more in line with the Dark Horse, Top Shelf world?

I just need a bit more information in order to have a clearer picture about your work.

Thanks and best

I responded that I'm not the artist, have only one piece of concept art, and gave the other info. He R'd me thus:

Thanks for getting back with these answers. I’m afraid I’m going to have to pass on requesting to see your material because this appears to be somewhat out of our wheelhouse. We usually only approach a publisher when we have a full package ready to go, both author and artist, but more than that, our main relationships in this field are with the book publishers who do graphic novels, not the comics industry, so it would be a bit of a stretch for us. I’m sorry I don’t have better news, but thank you for the opportunity to consider, and I wish you good luck in finding a home for your material.

Best regards

Wellllll, I figured there might be an opening. I emailed back and told him that while I didn't have any ART, I do have ARTISTS lined up who'd like to do this if it gets a greenlight. To my astonishment, he wrote back a few days later:

Why don’t you go ahead and send me the material you have and I will see if it’s something we can work with. You can email me here – do you have the art in digital form?

I look forward to seeing it.

Thanks

I e-mailed him the full script, the synopsis, and my lone piece of concept art. And there we stand.

Some other lessons to be drawn here no doubt, but we do know he's willing to listen and to work with what you've got if he's interested.

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
So are you aiming for publishers like Top Shelf and DarkHorse, then? (judging from his second response.) In that case, he's probably wondering why you're looking for an agent, since they are open to submissions and you wouldn't need one? Have you tried going that route?

I figure agents would also be less interested in taking on projects specifically intended for comic publishers, because the advances would be smaller, and thus *their* pay would be smaller. Dunno though.

And now you've got me curious about your "lone piece of concept art!"

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hi, elae

The truth is, I don't know much about publishers like Harper and Random, and I'm beginning to see that I need to do some homework. I keep trying to figure out which GNs my project compares to, but every time I go looking for GNs in stores or online I wind up in the manga and comic book shelves, which is not where my project belongs. The art and certain other elements (magic, Asian setting, dual worlds, art itself as a theme) yes, but other aspects (length, serializability), no.

I think I've finished my research in the comic book shelves and I've started googilng "Graphic Novel publisher." Those are the books and publishers I'm going to take a look at.

As for the concept art: I have an artist friend, a very good one -- great imdb credits, very much in demand even in these days of massive dislocations in her industry -- who loved the story and painted something that would serve as a poster or cover and that captures the concept beautifully. I figure heck, as long as I have it, I'll flog it, even though I don't know how it could be used. But as long as it gets agents and publishers to crack open my script, I'll consider it to have done its job! By the way, this artist wouldn't be suitable to illustrate the script; she's a painter (digital), but not an inker or penciller. Those specialties are well established and she's not into them.

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
First - Elae - THANK YOU. This is a fantastic resource for Comic/Graphic Novel Agents. I have a prose fiction piece I was shopping last year (it's back in the revision stage now) but as I'm also a graphic novelist (artist/writer) I was really looking for an agent that would be good at representing me for both and the process was incredibly tedious. I discovered some of the ones on your list - but many are new to me - so thank you, really.

Miss Plum: Just wanted to give you a heads up, since you're headed deep into the comic book and graphic novel arena, that "comix" is different than "comics" and you should be careful in your querying about which word you use.

Comix are generally considered to be underground comics - the history is in the underground small press and self published stuff from the 60's and it's still true today, it also tends to imply adult and/or x-rated material...so your average Superman, Batman, X-men, even Sandman, etc., would never be referred to as comix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comix

Also, Elae is right...even if you're not sure your project belongs on comic shelves as it's more of a graphic novel you want to see in bookstores (like Alison Bechdel's Fun Home, which is located at B&N not in the comics/graphic novels section but rather Autobiography - which really threw me when I was looking for it) but if you get an artist on board you really should consider submitting to comics publishers. Top Shelf, Dark Horse, and even Image (per Robert Kirkman actually) would all be potentially interesting publishers to query. There's also a new book out, it's pricey and I haven't read it so I'd suggest checking it out for yourself before purchasing, but it's called the Directory of Comic and Graphic Novel Publishers.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0981943101/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

Good luck with your project - sounds like you are well on your way!

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Sorry for the delay in replies-- I'm neck-deep in finishing chapter 4 of Highwater and it's taking all of my time, aaugh. At least now I know I can finish a 32 page chapter in just a few weeks.

I'm pretty sure that Richard Henshaw also takes on writers/artists who are trying to sell graphic novels.

Thanks! I updated the list with him, as well as with the Knight Agency, which mentions taking graphic novels on their site. Anyone queried them?

myrmidon said:
First - Elae - THANK YOU. This is a fantastic resource for Comic/Graphic Novel Agents. I have a prose fiction piece I was shopping last year (it's back in the revision stage now) but as I'm also a graphic novelist (artist/writer) I was really looking for an agent that would be good at representing me for both and the process was incredibly tedious. I discovered some of the ones on your list - but many are new to me - so thank you, really.

You're very welcome! Great to see another artist/writer. Do you have a website or anything we could peek at? I'm glad the list had some names that were new to you, be sure to let me know if you have any that I've missed! It's growing at a surprising rate, which is great.
And thanks for that Directory of Publishers link, I'd never heard of it & will have to take a look!

Miss_Plum said:
The truth is, I don't know much about publishers like Harper and Random, and I'm beginning to see that I need to do some homework. I keep trying to figure out which GNs my project compares to, but every time I go looking for GNs in stores or online I wind up in the manga and comic book shelves, which is not where my project belongs. The art and certain other elements (magic, Asian setting, dual worlds, art itself as a theme) yes, but other aspects (length, serializability), no.

Out of curiousity, what kinds of graphic novels inspired you to want to write one? The query you posted doesn't sound like it would be that out of place in the graphic novel/comic/manga section. You'd be surprised at how many comics & manga aren't actually intended to be more than one book.

If you're going to keep submitting without an artist attached, you might start flipping through graphic novels of all genres just to find artists you like, so when editors/agents/pubs ask you can mention specific names and comparisons.

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
You're very welcome! Great to see another artist/writer. Do you have a website or anything we could peek at? I'm glad the list had some names that were new to you, be sure to let me know if you have any that I've missed! It's growing at a surprising rate, which is great.
And thanks for that Directory of Publishers link, I'd never heard of it & will have to take a look!

I will definitely let you know if I find anyone to add, I'm about to start re-querying my novel (major rewrite coming to a close) so I'm about to enter that phase and will keep my eyes peeled for anyone I find not already on your list (so far everyone I've found is also on your list).

I've been keeping my eye out for the Directory so I can take a look and see what it's worth before blinding ordering it, but so far nobody has it...I'll let you know if I'm able to get my hands on it.

I'm still working on my website (trying to focus on the novel and get it out before I switch to a new project) but I do have a pretty inclusive blog that you're welcome to check out. Most of the art on the blog is more cartoon-y - a style I love and that I'm more comfortable working in - but not the style of the graphic novel I've been working on, which is a little more realistic to fit the tone of the writing.

Thanks again for all the help!

Best,
Kelly

Last edited:

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, what kinds of graphic novels inspired you to want to write one?

Hi, Elae

Actually, I set out to write a novel but it was "coming out" more like a movie, or something very visual and fast-moving, not so literary. I got the idea that a graphic novel would be the more suitable format. I just got a top penciller and a top colorist to do some concept art for me at a steep discount, and I have five agents waiting for me to send materials. We'll see how it goes. I feel as though I'm treading very unfamiliar ground.

And that's a great tip about browsing for artists. I went to a bookstore to do that, and for some bizarre reason didn't write down any names! Thanks for reminding me.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Meanwhile, got a few more from agentquery.com:

blah blah blah

UPDATE: Now I'm going crazy and can't find what I thought I saw last night, namely graphic novel acceptance on their websites. There's a match for "graphic novel" at agentquery.com, but I'm not sure how that gets there.

Last edited:

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Meanwhile, got a few more from agentquery.com:

Jennifer Lyons

Regina Brooks

Jonathan Lyons

James Fitzgerald

Have you seen any other mention of them representing graphic novels, though? That's why none of them are there so far.

Jennifer Lyons-- I think whoever listed them misunderstood the term "a comic novel" that someone used to describe a book lower on the page. Her site and PM don't mention any interest.

Regina Brooks-- Does anyone know anything more about them representing graphic novels? It mentions that Micah Lee is a graphic novelist, but I'm not sure if they represent him as an children's book illustrator or if they represent the graphic novels themselves (and I can't find any mention of him or his work anywhere). PM doesn't mention any interest.

Jonathon Lyons-- Site, blog, and PM all don't mention any interest or clients.

James Fitzgerald-- As far as I've seen, they're interested in "graphics" books in the sense of pop-culture imagery.

I'd love to be proven wrong on any of these, though! I just don't want to list anyone without being sure they do in fact represent graphic novels.

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
I will definitely let you know if I find anyone to add, I'm about to start re-querying my novel (major rewrite coming to a close) so I'm about to enter that phase and will keep my eyes peeled for anyone I find not already on your list (so far everyone I've found is also on your list).

Good luck with your querying! I can't imagine trying to query agents for a novel, there are just so many agents out there to go through. Seems like an endless process! I'm not sure if it's a blessing or not that so few represent graphic novels-- on the one hand, it's a growing field and many of them are eager to find new projects and will skip novel queries to get to yours, but on the other hand, when you start getting to the end of the list, it can be a real downer knowing there aren't many options left. :/

I like the blog! Cute autobio comics, too. Will the graphic novel be in a black&white line-art style too, or will you do color or anything else?

Miss_Plum said:
Actually, I set out to write a novel but it was "coming out" more like a movie, or something very visual and fast-moving, not so literary. I got the idea that a graphic novel would be the more suitable format. I just got a top penciller and a top colorist to do some concept art for me at a steep discount, and I have five agents waiting for me to send materials. We'll see how it goes. I feel as though I'm treading very unfamiliar ground.

Five interested agents = a huge congrats! Especially all at once, that's a really impressive number. And that's great to hear about the penciller and colorist, I hope they work out for you! Are they just doing character pin-ups, or a few actual pages from your comic?

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Have you seen any other mention of them representing graphic novels, though?

I'd love to be proven wrong on any of these, though! I just don't want to list anyone without being sure they do in fact represent graphic novels.

Now I'm going crazy. I could have sworn I saw evidence of graphic novel acceptance on their actual sites, but now I can't find a thing, just a match for "graphic novel" at agentquery.

Nevermind! I'm going to edit my original post.

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Hehe, yeah, it's frustrating-- I went through all of the graphic novel listings on the various query sites, and some list them for random agencies, but don't list them for ones that actually do rep them... very annoying! But thanks for posting them anyways-- for all I know, agencies have been added to their listing since I last checked.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
And that's great to hear about the penciller and colorist, I hope they work out for you! Are they just doing character pin-ups, or a few actual pages from your comic?

What I've got are two aces artists from the world of feature animation: one is a background painter, so she's doing some concept art showing the exotic locales. The other is an animator, and he's doing character sketches. I've seen their work in the movies and it's friggen awesome.

The background painter likes the project so much she's working for free and she'd like to do the coloring if it goes into production (please god please god please god) and if the pay is reasonable. The animator is out of work right now (caring for sick relative but still freelancing) so I'm paying him from my grocery budget. Eating is so overrated.

I've now gotten 8 requests, but 3 of them said No thanks when they found out I don't have complete artwork. Fingers crossed on the other 5.

And my frustration with the artwork thing is going to be the topic of another thread . . .

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
Good luck with your querying! I can't imagine trying to query agents for a novel, there are just so many agents out there to go through. Seems like an endless process! I'm not sure if it's a blessing or not that so few represent graphic novels-- on the one hand, it's a growing field and many of them are eager to find new projects and will skip novel queries to get to yours, but on the other hand, when you start getting to the end of the list, it can be a real downer knowing there aren't many options left. :/

I like the blog! Cute autobio comics, too. Will the graphic novel be in a black&white line-art style too, or will you do color or anything else?

Novel querying is tough (hell, it's all tough) but I am currently limiting my field of agents only to those accepting of both graphic novels and what works for my prose novel. So that my agent would/will be happy to represent my next project even if it happens to be a graphic novel. I just figure that's a better match for me. So the pool is smallish - though most I've found open to graphic novels also seem appropriate to my prose novel which is great - so it's basically your list...which is why I owe you such huge thanks!

I submitted eight queries in 2007/2008 and got four requests for partials/fulls and three rejections (the fourth rejection/non-rejection is actually still a war being waged - long story) but based on some of the feedback that I got, all but one of which was fairly personalized to my book, I decided on a major re-write that combined what I planned originally as a trilogy all into the first book. So it's like writing the two other books and merging them in the first book. It's taking FOREVER. But I'm closing in on completion.

My graphic novel, which I hope to get back to after this novel nightmare, will be mostly in black and white, but not nearly as cartoon-y as the journal comics on my blog. I could do it all black and white, but I'm considering a couple selections of colored pages - watercolor - well see what develops.

I checked out your comics as well - great stuff and congratulations on actually having an agent and getting them out there - that must feel - I don't know, I can't even really imagine it at this point. Good luck with all of it!

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
Novel querying is tough (hell, it's all tough) but I am currently limiting my field of agents only to those accepting of both graphic novels and what works for my prose novel. So that my agent would/will be happy to represent my next project even if it happens to be a graphic novel. I just figure that's a better match for me. So the pool is smallish - though most I've found open to graphic novels also seem appropriate to my prose novel which is great - so it's basically your list...which is why I owe you such huge thanks!

Ooh, very smart, I hadn't thought about that-- querying graphic novel agents with a normal novel. Good thinking on your part, haha. Are you mentioning that you're also an illustrator/graphic novel artist in the bio part of your query, to maybe get more interest in you as an author?

I submitted eight queries in 2007/2008 and got four requests for partials/fulls and three rejections (the fourth rejection/non-rejection is actually still a war being waged - long story) but based on some of the feedback that I got, all but one of which was fairly personalized to my book, I decided on a major re-write that combined what I planned originally as a trilogy all into the first book. So it's like writing the two other books and merging them in the first book. It's taking FOREVER. But I'm closing in on completion.

I did the exact same thing with Highwater, actually. ;) Originally it was planned as a trilogy, but when I was querying, I was asked about the pacing (by my now-agent, actually), and I reworked it so that the three "books" are now just act 1, 2, & 3, in a single volume (~300 pages... I've drawn 110, the rest is scripted and will be drawn once I get a contract!). Thankfully, I didn't have to change too much... I imagine with prose it would be much more difficult! How long do you think the book will be in the end? I've never attempted more than a short story.

My graphic novel, which I hope to get back to after this novel nightmare, will be mostly in black and white, but not nearly as cartoon-y as the journal comics on my blog. I could do it all black and white, but I'm considering a couple selections of colored pages - watercolor - well see what develops.

I checked out your comics as well - great stuff and congratulations on actually having an agent and getting them out there - that must feel - I don't know, I can't even really imagine it at this point. Good luck with all of it!

Yeah, Highwater is all black and white; I figured publishers would be more willing to take it on that way. I'm playing with the idea of my next book being in muted color, but I'm still a little torn-- I'm really drawn to a watercolor look in comics too! (Highwater's shading is just done in Painter) Do you have the story all plotted, or do you still have to write it on top of drawing a sample chapter?

& thanks! My site is in drastic need of an update, sadly-- I really need to make a Highwater section, so some of my more recent work can be seen (all those anthology comics are a few years old at least! *shame* Highwater is a lot stronger.) Probably won't happen til at least May, though.

I started querying in the end of September, and signed with my agent in December. :) Spent some time doing revisions (and waiting for the publishing business to calm down a little... erk!), and just went out on submission a week or two ago! Highwater is my BFA thesis project, so my starry-eyed dream was to have an agent by the end of last semester (managed, suprisingly!) and a contract by the time I graduate. We'll see, haha. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.