Agent has my R&R, can I still query to others?

missbluestocking

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a requested revision to an agent. She said she'd get back to me after reading it...Didn't ask for an exclusive. But when she first asked for my full MS she asked if there were any other agents considering my work. Does this count as an exclusive request? I'd love to work with her, but it's nerve-racking having all my eggs in one basket, so I'm thinking I should query to other agents while she reads the revision... Thoughts?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Nope, if it wasn't stated explicitly, there's no exclusive. Keep getting that work out there, especially if it's better because of the revision :) I had an R&R situation once that I wish I'd kept querying throughout -- it doesn't always work out the way you hope it will. Good luck!

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What Becca C said. If it wasn't explicitly mentioned, then I say keep querying. That's what I did when I had an R&R out.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You can, but why would you want to? If this agent is one you would be happy to have represent you, then give her all the time she needs. If she isn't such an agent, you shouldn't have submitted anything to her at all.

Far too many new writers worry so much about the time factor that they blow all their chances by submitting to too many agents before the query, or the novel, is actually ready. When an agent requests an R&R, then give her all the time she needs because she has already put time and effort into the novel, and she should be the one to benefit, if you did a good job.

All your eggs are not in one basket. You have all the time in the world to put your eggs in a different basket, if this one doesn't work out. Don't blow it. The fastest way to get an agent is not to submit to a lot of agents, it's to make sure you have everything as right as possible for the best possible agent.

And it is not a good thing to have an agent put in the time and trouble it takes to tell you she thinks need to be changed, only to have some other agent benefit from her work. This is not a nice thing to do.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
I agree with Becca. I never stopped querying, no matter who had my manuscript, which ended up being a good thing because most of the ones I wanted to wait on ended up rejecting the manuscript. I usually sent out something like 10 queries a day on average. And yes, the agents were all researched beforehand.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
For an agent, if she didn't mention an exclusive, I would keep querying with whichever version you think is best. An R&R is not a guarantee, and many are rejected in the end. And as someone who has waited a year on a response from an R&R, I would not suggest waiting unless the agent specifically asks. Agents understand that when you are doing an R&R, you are doing it because you agree that it improves the book, and just like most understand that you are not solely querying them, they understand that you would continue querying with the best version of your book that you have.

For an editor, I would give her the first right of refusal on a revision based on specific notes.