UK Query Question

cat_named_easter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, not sure if this should be in the Query Letter Hell form but I thought maybe that was just for feedback/critique and that's not really what I want to ask about... yet.

It seems quite obvious there's a clear difference between what makes a good query/submission letter for the UK and for the US. I'm trying to write up one for UK publishers/agents and I've been using one website in particular for advice on how to write a successful letter. I just wanted to check a few things they've suggested though - they seem odd to me.

1. For a Synopsis - should I begin with several little mini-paragraphs introducing my main characters?

2. Also in the synopsis - should I put each characters' name in capital letters the first time I use it (then normal case thereafter)? (And if the answer to question 1 was Yes, is there where I first put their names in capitals??)

3. I've read advice saying that I should mention something about myself that might seem quite ordinary but is fun or amusing or whatever e.g. I live with two cats and a rabbit. Is this weird though? It seems odd to me and I don't want to be laughed at!

4. General question not necessarily linked to UK queries - my novel has a mystery running throughout and it's only at the end, via flashback, that the reader discovers what happened to the MC years ago and why they are the way they are. In my synopsis, should I mention this at the beginning (so the events are technically in chronological order) or should I write it at the end of the synopsis to show the order it occurs in the book, and for the reader?

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, not sure if this should be in the Query Letter Hell form but I thought maybe that was just for feedback/critique and that's not really what I want to ask about... yet.

It seems quite obvious there's a clear difference between what makes a good query/submission letter for the UK and for the US. I'm trying to write up one for UK publishers/agents and I've been using one website in particular for advice on how to write a successful letter. I just wanted to check a few things they've suggested though - they seem odd to me.

1. For a Synopsis - should I begin with several little mini-paragraphs introducing my main characters?

2. Also in the synopsis - should I put each characters' name in capital letters the first time I use it (then normal case thereafter)? (And if the answer to question 1 was Yes, is there where I first put their names in capitals??)

3. I've read advice saying that I should mention something about myself that might seem quite ordinary but is fun or amusing or whatever e.g. I live with two cats and a rabbit. Is this weird though? It seems odd to me and I don't want to be laughed at!

4. General question not necessarily linked to UK queries - my novel has a mystery running throughout and it's only at the end, via flashback, that the reader discovers what happened to the MC years ago and why they are the way they are. In my synopsis, should I mention this at the beginning (so the events are technically in chronological order) or should I write it at the end of the synopsis to show the order it occurs in the book, and for the reader?

Some of this advice strikes me as a bit odd. One thing to remember is that there's not necessarily a right and wrong way of doing things, and breaking the 'rules' is sometimes how people stand out. That said...

1. No, just the plot, with the characters briefly introduced as they appear, within the natural flow of outlining the story.

2. I don't think it matters. I bolded character names on occasion, but I really don't think it changed how things were received.

3. Mention things about yourself in your cover letter. If you can research your agent to see if they might be amused by cute factoids, then great. Overall, be professional but likeable!

4. That's down to your own choice in best conveying the story. I'd put it in the order the book is written, unless that makes the synopsis needlessly complicated.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

Hell, no.

Your characters shouldn't need introducing at all if your synopsis is written properly. It should just tell the reader what happens in the book. Keep it in third person, present tense, and if you can get it to be anything other than a bit flat-sounding you're a better man than I.

Some people do. I don't. I think this is more appropriate for film and TV scripts, not for books.

You could but I wouldn't. If something is pertinent to your query (for example, if you're querying a novel about an astronaut and you're an astronaut) then yep; otherwise no.

I'd keep your synopsis in line with your book. It's a tool to show agents and publishers that you can structure a book properly, and that you can build a compelling story: if you can't write a decent synopsis of your book without changing things, perhaps your book needs more work.

I hope that's a help.