Fourth book released, fifth book in progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I lurked and read through a lot of the guidelines (many new or revised since I used to spend far too much time at AW) and am now posting these announcements, devoutly hoping I don't overstep any unknown boundaries. So here goes...

I've got a lot to celebrate and to be grateful for--the last two years have been overflowing with challenges and projects so here's a rundown:

The Knowledgeable Knitter (my fourth book) was released in September. I've already done five events associated with this book (a knitting cruise, book signing in a yarn shop, workshops and book signing at an annual knitting event, and [most thrilling of all] a book signing at an independent book shop!). I've also got promotional events and workshops scheduled through early May 2015. It's made it to #1 knitting reference book at Amazon, got a starred review in Library Journal and a sweet, sweet review in Publisher's Weekly. To quote from the latter, "... its clarity, detail, scope, and companionable tone make it an extraordinary reference and a delicious read." I am humbled by this--what an amazing comment on what's essentially a technical manual.

At the same time, I've revised my first book, The Knitting Answer Book, and a 10th Anniversary second edition will be published in January 2015. What makes me really happy at this point is that they've signed off on it and it's gone to prepress, so I know I won't suddenly get another set of pages to proof read in the next few weeks. There are more than 200,000 copies of The Knitting Answer Book in print and it's in its 14th printing.

I'm already working on my fifth book (sorry, I can't tell you about it until the catalog is released, which will be quite a wait, since my submission deadline is August 2015).

And, my editor tells me they are planning to release a paperback edition of my second book, The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques. I've always felt that this book didn't sell as well as it should have, so this will be a chance to both lower the price and to do some additional marketing.

I feel so lucky to have a publisher who values their back list and keeps the books in print so long as they're selling.

And, frankly, I owe a huge thank you to Absolute Write forums for my success. I discovered AW when I was in that black hole between the publication of my first book and securing a contract for my second. I really knew nothing about nonfiction book publishing, and what I learned, I learned right here. I had the skills to write books, the knowledge to develop the contents, but what I learned here was how to be a professional, to see the commercial side, and that has made all the difference.

The knowledge base here is astounding, the support of the other writers is heart warming, and I've missed you all while I've been off doing all this other stuff. So, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I lurked and read through a lot of the guidelines (many new or revised since I used to spend far too much time at AW) and am now posting these announcements, devoutly hoping I don't overstep any unknown boundaries. So here goes...

I've got a lot to celebrate and to be grateful for--the last two years have been overflowing with challenges and projects so here's a rundown:

The Knowledgeable Knitter (my fourth book) was released in September. I've already done five events associated with this book (a knitting cruise, book signing in a yarn shop, workshops and book signing at an annual knitting event, and [most thrilling of all] a book signing at an independent book shop!). It's made it to #1 knitting reference book at Amazon, got a starred review in Library Journal and a sweet, sweet review in Publisher's Weekly. To quote from the latter, "... its clarity, detail, scope, and companionable tone make it an extraordinary reference and a delicious read." I am humbled by this--what an amazing comment on what's essentially a technical manual.

At the same time, I've revised my first book, The Knitting Answer Book, and a 10th Anniversary second edition will be published in January 2015. What makes me really happy at this point is that they've signed off on it and it's gone to prepress, so I know I won't suddenly get another set of pages to proof read in the next few weeks. There are more than 200,000 copies of The Knitting Answer Book in print and it's in its 14th printing.

I'm already working on my fifth book (sorry, I can't tell you about it until the catalog is released, which will be quite a wait, since my submission deadline is August 2015).

And, my editor tells me they are planning to release a paperback edition of my second book, The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques. I've always felt that this book didn't sell as well as it should have, so this will be a chance to both lower the price and to do some additional marketing.

I feel so lucky to have a publisher who values their back list and keeps the books in print so long as they're selling.

And, frankly, I owe a huge thank you to Absolute Write forums for my success. I discovered AW when I was in that black hole between the publication of my first book and securing a contract for my second. I really knew nothing about nonfiction book publishing, and what I learned, I learned right here. I had the skills to write books, the knowledge to develop the contents, but what I learned here was how to be a professional, to see the commercial side, and that has made all the difference.

The knowledge base here is astounding, the support of the other writers is heart warming, and I've missed you all while I've been off doing all this other stuff. So, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Mags, I'm so proud of what you've accomplished. Much appreciation for the AW shout out and much continued success to you.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
Haggis, thank you so much. And to think of the number of hours I spent in the dead thread and still managed to get some writing done.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
My knitting skills always sucked. I need your books! Or just your sweaters. ;)

CGs!

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! That's fantastic. I'm really happy for you. Just reading your post made me want to hop up and down and clap like a schoolgirl. That's really exciting! My sister crochets but if she ever wants to take up knitting I'll definitely led her to your books. I love the cover of 'The Knowledgable Knitter' by the way. Congratulations on so much success! I hope to be in your shoes someday with the help of Absolute Write ;)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats on all the success! May your books thrive.

(Never did get the hang of knitting.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
Yay for you!!!!

I don't knit but my mother used to (before her arthritis got too bad) and I know if she still did I'd be snapping these up!

Best of luck and keep on keeping on!

;)

How kind of you to say so! Thank you.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
My knitting skills always sucked. I need your books! Or just your sweaters. ;)

CGs!

My sweaters probably wouldn't fit you. :D

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! That's fantastic. I'm really happy for you. Just reading your post made me want to hop up and down and clap like a schoolgirl. That's really exciting! My sister crochets but if she ever wants to take up knitting I'll definitely led her to your books. I love the cover of 'The Knowledgable Knitter' by the way. Congratulations on so much success! I hope to be in your shoes someday with the help of Absolute Write ;)

Thank you so much Quentin Nokov. I have to say that until I started summarizing the last 8 years, I didn't realize how much I'd accomplished. It's been good (that's said with a smile) :D

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Ken!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
smiley-bounce017.gif

smiley-happy096.gif

poze.gif

emoticon-char-038.gif

I should really get one of your books, I'm having a devil of a time learning to knit and I've been at it for a while.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.