Resubmitting an updated version?

stw_ftw

Registered
Reaction score
I had a quick question regarding the etiquette of following up before a query has been responded to. Is it okay to inform the agent that you've revised the sample/manuscript and send them the updated version? Most of the agents I queried have yet to respond, but it's only been two weeks or so, so I'm sure my query must be sitting somewhere in the slush pile, unread. I'd like that when they do get around to my submission, they'll have my better sample/manuscript.

I also already received two full requests; is it okay to inform those agents too of my updated version?

And lastly, for those that rejected me already; can I ever resubmit? What's the general rule for that? Wait several months? Mention the work has been revised based on agent feedback? Or completely write them off?

Thanks!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I had a quick question regarding the etiquette of following up before a query has been responded to. Is it okay to inform the agent that you've revised the sample/manuscript and send them the updated version? Most of the agents I queried have yet to respond, but it's only been two weeks or so, so I'm sure my query must be sitting somewhere in the slush pile, unread. I'd like that when they do get around to my submission, they'll have my better sample/manuscript.

I also already received two full requests; is it okay to inform those agents too of my updated version?

And lastly, for those that rejected me already; can I ever resubmit? What's the general rule for that? Wait several months? Mention the work has been revised based on agent feedback? Or completely write them off?

Thanks!

Yeah, I'd say don't do that.

First, it makes you seem unprepared, at best. Second, your new email would probably end up in the same queue, just weeks behind the others.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Either stop querying if you're going to make revisions, or run with what you have. You'll just burn yourself if you keep trying to revise while trying to sell your product.

For the agents who haven't replied: Leave them for a few months. You won't do yourself any good trying to update them.

For the agents requesting fulls/partials: Send them the original and notify them that there's a revision.

For the agents who rejected you: Unless you make revisions that they wished for when they sent you a personalized rejection, leave them alone.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
I personally would never submit an updated query and opening pages. I have only sent an updated version of a full manuscript after receiving an R&R from an agent. I would only requery with a significantly revised manuscript.

Agents assume that you are sending your best possible work the first time. Things happen. But if you aren't 100% sure that your work is the absolute best it can be, stop querying and work on improving before you start again.

stw_ftw

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I have stopped querying. I was asking in regards to queries that might still be pending.

Should I inform agents that I'm withdrawing my original query, then?

I am revising based on an agent's feedback, and so wanted to kind of put a hold on what's already out there until I'm ready to submit a revision.

Sorry if my questions seem silly; I'm definitely a newbie to all this.

Thanks.

Osulagh

Registered
Reaction score
Should I inform agents that I'm withdrawing my original query, then?

No. Agents get thousands of emails and sending another one to tell them to disregard a prior one--that they didn't get to yet--will not help. Just hope they auto-reject you, IMO.

I am revising based on an agent's feedback, and so wanted to kind of put a hold on what's already out there until I'm ready to submit a revision.

Revise to that agent's feedback for them only. Just because one agent suggests changes does it mean they all want the same changes. If I was doing this, I'd keep a separate revision for that agent and halt querying until the revision is finished. If I like that better and the agent drops out, I'd query that--but I would still keep the original version and queries out until they die off.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't withdraw the original query, no. If you get a request, it's fine to wait a week or so to send it if you're revising or send an email asking if you can send it after you've revised with an agent's feedback. For the other agents who have your full, you have to decide if you want to send them an updated manuscript or not. Here's a helpful link.

I will part company with Osulagh. When I got a request for an R&R, I realized that the changes resonated and would make my MS stronger. I stopped querying to work on the R&R and asked everyone who had the full out currently if they wanted the revision instead. I got a second R&R out of it. But no offer. So, take my advice with a grain of salt. :p

Your questions aren't silly! There are a lot of things about querying that are hard to figure out at first. Many, many of the commonly asked questions have been covered in Ask the Agent, so definitely check out the archives, too.

stw_ftw

Registered
Reaction score
I will part company with Osulagh. When I got a request for an R&R, I realized that the changes resonated and would make my MS stronger. I stopped querying to work on the R&R and asked everyone who had the full out currently if they wanted the revision instead. I got a second R&R out of it. But no offer. So, take my advice with a grain of salt. :p

This is exactly where I'm at. An agent got back to me with valuable feedback, and I want to halt my querying until I can make the changes. But I guess the consensus is, I can't take back what I already sent out, even if they haven't gotten back to me yet. So those agents are forever out? I can never re-query the same project? Not even after months and months of revisions?

Osulagh

Registered
Reaction score
So those agents are forever out? I can never re-query the same project? Not even after months and months of revisions?

If they send you a form reject, don't requery with that story. They rejected it for a reason. You can query your next book though.

If they send you a personalized rejection stating a problem that you fixed in your current revision, it's a good idea to update them that you fixed that to another agent's request.

Just because you revised the story doesn't mean they're interested. Perhaps they weren't interested in the story, or your writing style, or maybe they can't sell your sub-genre, or don't have a publisher lined up for it. They are not rejecting the current version, they are rejecting the entire book unless otherwise stated.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
I would say, you're out of luck with those agents .... unless ... your revisions render your entire query meaningless because it no longer, at all, represents the story at hand. And in that case, you could rewrite your query to fit the updated story and try again. But your revisions would really have to necessitate significantly altering the query for that to be acceptable protocol -- like a serious rewrite.

This is why it's so vitally important to query slowly and carefully, and not prematurely. Generally, you only get one shot.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
It's bad form to send an updated query, for all the reasons listed in this thread. If the only thing you would be updating is the query and maybe the first five or ten pages, I'm sorry, but I wouldn't do that.

If the agents haven't rejected you yet, it is fine to ask them to wait while you revise if they request more materials.

If the agents have already rejected you, you can't requery unless you have significant rewrites. I'm gearing up to requery a manuscript 1) that has been so entirely rewritten that I have to completely change my query and 2) was originally queried in 2012.

Check out the link I posted.

If you haven't visited QLH yet, please do. Make sure when you're ready to query that your query is solid.

ETA: Quickbread is right that you generally only get one shot. Agents can see through a lot to figure out the core premise. That's usually what's being rejected.

Last edited:

stw_ftw

Registered
Reaction score
Got it.

Thanks for all the help! And good luck with your own queries!